adjust rear camber/toe without drop

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 02:20 PM
worldcrafter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adjust rear camber/toe without drop

anyone have a how-to for adjusting the rear camber/toe even if I didn't drop my car? I just had my 2 rear tires replaced, and now it looks like the camber and toe is jacked up on both wheels. Wouldn't want the tires wearing out since I dropped some serious change on them...
Old 12-04-2009, 02:46 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why not just get an alignment and have the pros do it?

Don't see changing out tires would screw with your camber and toes. Did something go wrong?

Post a pic.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:49 PM
graphiteg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it to an alignment shop.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:25 PM
worldcrafter

i did buy my car used, so the previous owner must have had the rear alignment done for the tires that were replaced. after putting on my new tires, i can see that there is an obvious amount of negative camber and toe-in on the wheels. it looks like the car is dropped from behind, although it isn't.

yeah i will call around to see if a shop will just do a rear wheel alignment to save some money, and so i don't feel anxious about new tire wear...
Old 12-04-2009, 03:27 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to firestone for the lifetime alignment for 150. its worth it.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:36 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think they have to align all 4, around 80-90 bucks.

Maybe you can trade with some night elf mohawk grenades.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:57 PM
worldcrafter

Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
go to firestone for the lifetime alignment for 150. its worth it.
nice, what if i drop the car, will they still honor the lifetime alignment bit?
Old 12-04-2009, 05:32 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by worldcrafter
anyone have a how-to for adjusting the rear camber/toe even if I didn't drop my car? I just had my 2 rear tires replaced, and now it looks like the camber and toe is jacked up on both wheels. Wouldn't want the tires wearing out since I dropped some serious change on them...
How can changing tires mess up an alignment I don't get it
Old 12-04-2009, 06:58 PM
worldcrafter

i didn't say that the alignment got messed up through the tire install (unless the mechanic decided to purposely do such a thing), i just said that both toe and camber now looks off with the new tires on, so i am just inferring now that an alignment was done on the rear to accommodate the tires replaced. i just want to make sure that my new tires don't wear out prematurely from the current wheel alignment, and was wondering if anyone had set camber/toe on the rear themselves, without a kit, which I don't think I need since I'm still at stock height.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:35 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
i just said that both toe and camber now looks off with the new tires on, so i am just inferring now that an alignment was done on the rear to accommodate the tires replaced
I understand your point but I'm just saying, , there is no way for tires to change your alignment specs. For that to happen, the suspension geometry itself has to be altered. Can you elaborate on the whole "looking off" part?

I just want to make sure that my new tires don't wear out prematurely from the current wheel alignment, and was wondering if anyone had set camber/toe on the rear themselves, without a kit, which I don't think I need since I'm still at stock height.
There's very little room for modification. A good alignment shop should be able to play around a little.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:39 PM
js3350z

i didn't say that the alignment got messed up through the tire install (unless the mechanic decided to purposely do such a thing), i just said that both toe and camber now looks off with the new tires on, so i am just inferring now that an alignment was done on the rear to accommodate the tires replaced. i just want to make sure that my new tires don't wear out prematurely from the current wheel alignment, and was wondering if anyone had set camber/toe on the rear themselves, without a kit, which I don't think I need since I'm still at stock height.
That is exactly what you are saying... You said the camber and toe looks off after the tire install...

It is possible to do an alignment yourself, but as I recall from when I installed my rear camber/toe kit you will only be able to alter toe with stock equipment...but I would assume getting it right is very difficult w/o proper equipment.

And if you are saying that you think it is possible that the alignment is different from changing tires, you should probably leave the alignment to the professionals.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:41 PM
js3350z

o well... sam got a post in while I was still in the reply screen
Old 12-04-2009, 08:04 PM
goomba

Check your tire pressures and torque the lugs?
Old 12-04-2009, 08:05 PM
worldcrafter

Originally Posted by js3350z
And if you are saying that you think it is possible that the alignment is different from changing tires, you should probably leave the alignment to the professionals.
been working on cars for cars for about 6 years now, though i never did try to set the alignment on a car myself. I figured there would be a way to save money and just try to tweak the rear alignment on my own though, since I was messing through the G37 FSM and it mentioned something about adjustment bolts on the front and rear lower links on pages RSU-6 and RSU-7. again, i didn't say the alignment was altered (not that i know for sure since i wasn't at the shop while my tires were replaced), but the rear wheels just don't look 0'd (is that the term for 0 camber and/or toe) or right after the tire install. what the shop guy did show me was that the tires that were on before (stock RE050's) did have uneven tire wear, tread was worn on the inside of the tires while the rest of the tread looked fine. maybe the previous owner had the car dropped before I bought it, I dunno too much guessing at this point, and I just want to avoid premature tire wear. Still gotta call around to see what shops can do for me
Old 12-04-2009, 08:08 PM
goomba

been working on cars for cars for about 6 years now, though i never did try to set the alignment on a car myself. I figured there would be a way to save money and just try to tweak the rear alignment on my own though, since I was messing through the G37 FSM and it mentioned something about adjustment bolts on the front and rear lower links on pages RSU-6 and RSU-7. again, i didn't say the alignment was altered (not that i know for sure since i wasn't at the shop while my tires were replaced), but the rear wheels just don't look 0'd (is that the term for 0 camber and/or toe) or right after the tire install. what the shop guy did show me was that the tires that were on before (stock RE050's) did have uneven tire wear, tread was worn on the inside of the tires while the rest of the tread looked fine. maybe the previous owner had the car dropped before I bought it, I dunno too much guessing at this point, and I just want to avoid premature tire wear. Still gotta call around to see what shops can do for me
if you want to save money, you can diy alignment with strings and jackstands, ruler and pen and paper and a true level surface. youtube diy alignment. Not recommended based on your previous posts tho..

Quick Reply: adjust rear camber/toe without drop