adjust rear camber/toe without drop

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:08 PM
worldcrafter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by js3350z
That is exactly what you are saying... You said the camber and toe looks off after the tire install...
and I meant that an alignment was done for the tires that were replaced, the re050's. i knew i should have hit the edit button to correct what i typed heh
Old 12-04-2009, 08:10 PM
worldcrafter

Originally Posted by G37Sam
I understand your point but I'm just saying, , there is no way for tires to change your alignment specs. For that to happen, the suspension geometry itself has to be altered. Can you elaborate on the whole "looking off" part?
i'll see if i can get a pic later on, could take one with my iphone right now but the res probably wont show the wheel alignment too well
Old 12-04-2009, 08:15 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Man if you can tell toe difference with your naked eye you should contact the National Geographic channel ASAP haha

Originally Posted by goomba
if you want to save money, you can diy alignment with strings and jackstands, ruler and pen and paper and a true level surface. youtube diy alignment. Not recommended based on your previous posts tho..
How is that saving money lol... Even if it did, nothing beats electronic precision.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:19 PM
goomba

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Man if you can tell toe difference with your naked eye you should contact the National Geographic channel ASAP haha

How is that saving money lol... Even if it did, nothing beats electronic precision.
One of the highly recommended well known alignment shops in socal West End Alignment doesn't use lasers to do alignment. In fact he uses the string method.

I agree, if you can visually detect non zero toe, you probably have bent suspension arms.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:21 PM
js3350z

Originally Posted by worldcrafter
been working on cars for cars for about 6 years now, though i never did try to set the alignment on a car myself. I figured there would be a way to save money and just try to tweak the rear alignment on my own though, since I was messing through the G37 FSM and it mentioned something about adjustment bolts on the front and rear lower links on pages RSU-6 and RSU-7. again, i didn't say the alignment was altered (not that i know for sure since i wasn't at the shop while my tires were replaced), but the rear wheels just don't look 0'd (is that the term for 0 camber and/or toe) or right after the tire install. what the shop guy did show me was that the tires that were on before (stock RE050's) did have uneven tire wear, tread was worn on the inside of the tires while the rest of the tread looked fine. maybe the previous owner had the car dropped before I bought it, I dunno too much guessing at this point, and I just want to avoid premature tire wear. Still gotta call around to see what shops can do for me
They will never look "0'd" as you say, these cars are meant to have negative camber... but some people on this site take that concept way to far, sorry but I couldn't help my self

anyway, back on topic the "spec" for camber in the rear is negative, and I mean to the point of where it is obvious when standing behind the car...
Old 12-04-2009, 08:27 PM
worldcrafter

ok i gotcha. yeah sam maybe i couldn't tell the toe by just looking heh, but the camber on the left side looks different than the right, it is more negative, that much i can tell
Old 12-04-2009, 08:29 PM
worldcrafter

in any case i will probably just save myself the time and embarrassment on this forum and just get it done professionally. some things are better left to the professionals i guess.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:31 PM
js3350z

and I meant that an alignment was done for the tires that were replaced, the re050's. i knew i should have hit the edit button to correct what i typed heh

I understand you where saying that there may have been an alignment done with the stock tires, but what we are all saying is that, changing the rubber that is around the wheel has no effect on the suspension settings and should not "look off" from changing the tires...

the only thing I can think that may be throwing your perception off is the way the new tires don't taper in from the rim like the stock bridgestone's do
Old 12-04-2009, 08:37 PM
js3350z

in any case i will probably just save myself the time and embarrassment on this forum and just get it done professionally. some things are better left to the professionals i guess.
don't get discouraged, some people, myself included just got on you because of all the contradicting statements you made... it is good to see people spending a little time working on their own cars, saving a little money, and hopefully learning a thing or two...

I am proud to say the only things that I have not done on my car are the headlights, and coincidentally the alignment... and the resources on this forum are partially to thank for that, so don't get an attitude just because of this one thread
Old 12-04-2009, 08:45 PM
worldcrafter

Originally Posted by js3350z
don't get discouraged, some people, myself included just got on you because of all the contradicting statements you made... it is good to see people spending a little time working on their own cars, saving a little money, and hopefully learning a thing or two...

I am proud to say the only things that I have not done on my car are the headlights, and coincidentally the alignment... and the resources on this forum are partially to thank for that, so don't get an attitude just because of this one thread
thanks, i took few of hard knocks i guess you could say on the sr20forum (been driving sentras for about 9 years now) while learning to wrench on my own, so i know a thing or 2 about cars, i'm just trying to stretch my budget out since I got killed on the tire purchase/install

i will admit that i am a total newb when it comes to suspension and alignment, but hey that comes from driving cars where you could only set the toe up front. thanks all for setting me straight on my new ride
Old 12-05-2009, 09:08 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
In any case i will probably just save myself the time and embarrassment on this forum and just get it done professionally. some things are better left to the professionals i guess.
No embarresment pal, we're only helping. We all started from scratch and were noobs once so it's all good But as you said, better leave it for professionals who do it for living and besides, it's only like 100 bux lol Save yourself the headache.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:19 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Really? I thought swapping tires wouldn't affect alignment either until yesterday. The dealer told me that I'd need new tires soon so I'm probably better off waiting until after I get the new tires to do an alignment (yah, the dealer so take it with a grain of salt haha). Afterwards, I called the place where I was going to get my alignment done yesterday and I asked if it makes any difference getting an alignment now versus later with new tires. He also said I can should just come in next time with the new tires.

So which is right? Also, for those places like Firestone that offer lifetime alignment, why would you want it if an alignment isn't needed as long as you keep the same wheels (assuming the forum answers are correct)?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:47 PM
js3350z

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Really? I thought swapping tires wouldn't affect alignment either until yesterday. The dealer told me that I'd need new tires soon so I'm probably better off waiting until after I get the new tires to do an alignment (yah, the dealer so take it with a grain of salt haha). Afterwards, I called the place where I was going to get my alignment done yesterday and I asked if it makes any difference getting an alignment now versus later with new tires. He also said I can should just come in next time with the new tires.

So which is right? Also, for those places like Firestone that offer lifetime alignment, why would you want it if an alignment isn't needed as long as you keep the same wheels (assuming the forum answers are correct)
?
During some hard hits during driving your alignment may come out of spec... And firestone wouldn't touch my car once they saw it wasn't oem equipment got to try to get another Firestone to commit to lifetime alignment