View Poll Results: Are you interested in a completely bolt on Air Ride application.
Yes, I am interested!
68.42%
No, I like being stock.
31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Guaging Interest: Custom 1pc Air strut system

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 03:01 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Guaging Interest: Custom 1pc Air strut system

Hey Guys,

I have been in talks with a local Air Suspension company and they are interested in making a kit specific to our cars.

There is a couple different ways to do air suspension. You can do a universal kit and put bags in place of your springs, either on your coils or stock struts. Or you can get a 1pc Air Strut, which is a strut made with an air bag built onto it already.

What makes a 1 piece air strut better than a bag-over system? You get better travel and handling, and its a completely bolt on application. No modification is necessary like building a universal bag-over system.

Here is an email i recieved from the owner of the shop, Open Road Tuning. They work in conjunction with Bagyard to get the airstruts developed.

Jonathan,
Thank you for your inquiry. I apologize for the delay in response but I was in talks with Bagyard about bagging this G37. We can definitely help you out with bagging the G37! In fact, we'd love to get our hands on something besides a VW/Audi as we are looking to expand our horizons. We have bagged Honda's and Acura's before and we're currently working on a Lexus kit for another stateside client. Our kits are purely bolt on and drive and they require NO modification to the factory suspension components or mounting locations. This is the beauty of Bagyard kits in comparison to our competition. We do not use drop bushings or special mounting plates or any of that rubbish! We like to make our systems fit like stock and ride like stock - except you'll be kissing the ground. You could possibly use the JIC Coils and do a bag over coil setup but the ride would be only marginally better than the coilovers. If you're looking to do it right, I would suggest buying one piece struts as they will give you the best lift/drop and ride. If you have any other questions, please let me know!
Cheers,
Andrew

Heres a few pics of some different kits they make for the VW guys.

I made this thread to See what kind of interest there is out there. I dont know prices yet. But i would assume a full system would be in the 3-3.5k range. I will update once i get some kind of price range from them.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:06 AM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in stoof

Bump it up
Old 11-20-2009, 03:14 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Those look amazing Stoof, I'd be very interested, need to start saving up
Old 11-20-2009, 03:15 AM
STOOF

Yeah i figure its a better option for me than bagging my coils. Ill end up spending about the same in the end. So i can just sell the JICs and pretty much have about half what itll cost me for these. Thats the plan anyways. lol
Old 11-20-2009, 03:21 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Sorry for the noobness, but how much trunk space would the compressor take? And how heavy would it be?
Old 11-20-2009, 03:26 AM
jnguyen

Alot of air suspension have different size tanks sam. Some even have the pancake kind that fits in your spare wheel part.

If they make this then I would get it and storage my KW just in case something happens to the Air suspension. I really hope they make this
Old 11-20-2009, 03:52 AM
STOOF

The most common size tank ive seen used is a 5gal.

The pancake tanks are typically 3gal and would require the compressors to work more due to the tank having to be filled more often.

Im not sure of the weight of a 5gal tank when filled with air.
Heres some dimensions from some ive seen. They come in all diff sizes.
25"L X 8"D X 10"H
34"L X 7"D
21"L X 10"D X 12.5"H

Im most likely going to remove my spare tire and all the plastic "false floor" nonsense. I should have plenty of room for everything after that.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:58 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Thanks for the info Stoof, I really just want a piece of mind one with two or three presets for ride height..

Slammed, In between, Off road status lol (not really, just want it to clear the stupid bumps in every mall)
Old 11-20-2009, 04:05 AM
STOOF

Yeah i feel ya on that. I have HUGE speed bumps on my block, i scrape them every day and get stuck sometimes lol.

That brings up another point i might add. There are 2 ways you can build your system. With a computer, and without. With a computer you can have the presets for laying frame, ride, and lifted. Then you can also do front to back, side to side and play. Without a computer you can just have a 4guage system and "know" what psi you need to have on each corner to be a certain height.

Ill be doing a comp.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:09 AM
jnguyen

You guys think that is bad? I have construction going on at my house so we have concrete trunks that come in and like it fcks up the driveway. I can't leave my house in the G lmao so its been sitting in the garage. They have pot holes at least 3-4 inch deep and also it pushing up around it to make like mini speed bumps around the pothole so its crazy.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:12 AM
STOOF

Why you live in a construction site? You homeless?

lol
Old 11-20-2009, 04:16 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

hahahaha the box they shipped him in wasn't big enough to make sleeping room out of it
Old 11-20-2009, 04:19 AM
STOOF

lmfao...
Old 11-20-2009, 04:22 AM
jnguyen

hahaha nah adding stuff on to the house
Old 11-20-2009, 04:23 AM
STOOF

WTF....im moving in.

I just did another quick search on tanks, and i just saw an aluminum one thats 30x7 and weighs less than 8lbs.

Quick Reply: Guaging Interest: Custom 1pc Air strut system