Help Stoptech Screws are broken or the caliper are!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:24 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stoptech Screws are broken or the caliper are!

I started to install my brakes today. Everything was going good until we put the stainless steel line to the calipers. The line did not sit tight. It was loose and moving around. I think it will leak fluid if it isn't tight. I don't know if its the screw or the caliper. It doesn't spin on tight. It basically spins then it locks or keeps spinning and the line is loose.

I only put on 3 so far and its 2 loose one and only one of them fit right and tight.

Here is the picture of the one that fits perfect and tight. Basically the screw fits on this one but the other one nothing happens! I call infiniti but the only way is if I order new caliper and re powdercoat. Is it possible the caliper tread might be messed up?! Please help, I'm trying to get these brakes on before friday.

I even try switching the screws but its the same on these two caliper so far.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:47 PM
HamstersG

I have the StopTech lines and did not have any problems, but I do recall that (1) you have to be careful not to cross-thread on the start and (2) the torque on the bolts is not that high.

Take the one bolt out that is good and tight and see if it tightens up in the other caliper where you are having problems. If so, then it is the threads on the caliper.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:52 PM
nogoodname
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you may have screwed up the threads on that bolt.... the bolt would probably get messed up than the caliper...

compare the bolts with the troubled one and the good ones
Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
just get a tap and die set and fix it
Old 09-28-2009, 10:13 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by HamstersG
I have the StopTech lines and did not have any problems, but I do recall that (1) you have to be careful not to cross-thread on the start and (2) the torque on the bolts is not that high.

Take the one bolt out that is good and tight and see if it tightens up in the other caliper where you are having problems. If so, then it is the threads on the caliper.
thanks for the info. I have a goodridge one and I don't know if its any different. I got two on there easily and the other two went in but it was always loose.. it never gotten tighten at all.

2 calipers work fine and 2 didn't. We took all 4 of the bolts and put on the two that work and it worked fine but we switch bolt to the broken one and none them work so it might be the caliper..

I can't do anytihng about it because the dealer said I order from grubbs infiniti and also its been powdercoated so grubbs won't warranty it.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:15 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by shumby
just get a tap and die set and fix it
My friend has one but doesn't know how to use it. He has it in his lap right now looking at it.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:19 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not hard to use at all just find the right size by seeing if it will thread into the hold and the die over the nut. (non damaged one ofcourst. then making sure you are square to th holt start to thread it in. use some lube. WD-40 will do as it is not a big hole you are taping. screw it in screw it out. clean out the hle of any metat crap left behind and you are done.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:19 PM
jnguyen

It leaks air because of this
Old 09-28-2009, 10:27 PM
HamstersG

It ain't going to work until it pulls tight so the copper crush washer does its job. I still say that before you try fixing the caliper, make sure you did not mess up the bolts.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Does the bolt go into the caliper solid without the line in place?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Check that the hole threads are really damaged before you retap it. Are you 100% sure you are using the right bolt fir that hole? It's a banjo bolt. Did you use the original parts or replacement ones that came with the brake line set?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:05 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Check that the hole threads are really damaged before you retap it. Are you 100% sure you are using the right bolt fir that hole? It's a banjo bolt. Did you use the original parts or replacement ones that came with the brake line set?
I use the replacement that came with my goodridge set. I'm pretty sure its caliper cause the other two bolts work fine on two of the caliper first try. The other two screws go into the caliper tight but the line is still wiggly like the screws don't go all the way down or something. We will check everything tomorrow around 9AM then see what we find out and then try a machinery shop to try to rethread the caliper.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:10 PM
jnguyen

This is what my friend said
the screw is fine or at least i think. it worked fine on the other one
soo its gotta be some weak *** threads from the caliper.
i didnt even have enough resistance to torque it down so i kno i couldnt have stripped it and i screwed it in like 3/4 of the way with my hand b4 i used the wrench so i couldnt have crossthreaded it cause i kno im not that daym strong
Old 09-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by jnguyen
This is what my friend said
the screw is fine or at least i think. it worked fine on the other one
soo its gotta be some weak *** threads from the caliper.
i didnt even have enough resistance to torque it down so i kno i couldnt have stripped it and i screwed it in like 3/4 of the way with my hand b4 i used the wrench so i couldnt have crossthreaded it cause i kno im not that daym strong
That sounds like a great idea. The threads are probably very soft in those calipers. Take it to someone who knows what they're doing if you've never tapped threads before. It's very important to make sure that all of the shavings, debris, and dust is cleaned out of the caliper before putting it back on.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Try seeing if the stock bolts still work or no.

And see if all the bolts are the same or no.

Quick Reply: Help Stoptech Screws are broken or the caliper are!