Help Stoptech Screws are broken or the caliper are!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Man, it looks like incorrectly machined calipers to me. I'd say powdercoat or no, the seller should exchange them if they weren't made right. You would still be out the cost of powdercoating. If the inside threads are good, I'd bet they were tapped a weird size?
Of all the things, breaks gotta be right.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:34 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob
Man, it looks like incorrectly machined calipers to me. I'd say powdercoat or no, the seller should exchange them if they weren't made right. You would still be out the cost of powdercoating. If the inside threads are good, I'd bet they were tapped a weird size?
Of all the things, breaks gotta be right.
Well I called grubb infiniti in Houston but they were close. I email the guy who I usually deal with which is buckley. Hopefully he responds to me and if not then I will call him. 9/10 they will not refund or exhchage just because its been powdercoated but I will see what he say. If my uncle can't fix it at his shop then I will just buy new ones.

I'm not going to stress it anymore. I rather not rush these kind of things and kill myself if the brakes don't work
Old 09-29-2009, 11:46 PM
HamstersG

My curiosty is running high....hope you figure it out and don't have to get new ones.

Originally Posted by jnguyen
Yeah I order infiniti Akebono kit from grubbs infiniti. I had them ship the calipers straight to Mike The Powdercoater from the dealership. I had it for two months but never open it until monday.I put it on and it was messed up like that. Now it looks like my only option is now is bringing it to my uncle and hope he can do something with it and a helicoil.

I'm trying to get it on for a show I got sunday but if he can't fix it then I will put on the stocks and just overnight new ones to mike to powdercoat then overnight to me for whenever. I probably won't make the show but at least I will have my brakes
Old 09-29-2009, 11:53 PM
jnguyen

Yeah man. I don't mind getting new one but I'm sad that I'm missing the car show cause I paid 60 dollar pre registration fee already

I would be perfectly fine overnighting everything if it gets here on friday powdercoated so my shop can redo the two caliper for me
Old 09-30-2009, 02:30 PM
jnguyen

HEY I NEED EVERYONE OPINION!

Alright I went ahead and called rick@riversideinfiniti! I overnight two new caliper to mike the powdercoater then I will have Mike overnight to me. These are brand new caliper but I'm afraid now.

I don't know if it was goodridge bolts that are mess up and fck my caliper or if the caliper were messed up from stock.

I don't want to go installing it again with the same bolts and it messes up my new caliper too!

anyone with goodridge brakeline that can chime in on the bolts? Mine looks like blackbetty.

THE BOLT IS ON THE RIGHT! IGNORE THE LEFT BOLT that is for something else
Old 09-30-2009, 08:57 PM
greggv

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you've stripped the threads, a tap isn't going to fix anything, you'll need to helicoil the bad threads. I can do that for you, if you haven't fixed things yet lemme know
Old 09-30-2009, 10:10 PM
HamstersG

If that is one of the bolts that did not work.....if sure does not look stripped to me. Post the size or PM BlackBetty and compare as I think he said he had not installed his yet.

HEY I NEED EVERYONE OPINION!

Alright I went ahead and called rick@riversideinfiniti! I overnight two new caliper to mike the powdercoater then I will have Mike overnight to me. These are brand new caliper but I'm afraid now.

I don't know if it was goodridge bolts that are mess up and fck my caliper or if the caliper were messed up from stock.

I don't want to go installing it again with the same bolts and it messes up my new caliper too!

anyone with goodridge brakeline that can chime in on the bolts? Mine looks like blackbetty.

THE BOLT IS ON THE RIGHT! IGNORE THE LEFT BOLT that is for something else
Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have new banjo bolts from the Goodridge set. I can check the thread pitch tomorrow if it will help you.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:42 PM
HamstersG

Be sure to measure the depth of the threads on the two calipers that you are having a problem with and then measure the new ones to make sure the same. If you find a difference, you may have a case for a refund even though you powdercoated.

I try all four of the bolts in that one caliper and it did not work. I try all four bolts on a different caliper and those work fine.

It was exactly how it was out the box when I put it on. I'm pretty sure I did not cross thread it because I did all them the same way. Only two didn't work so it has to be some other reason or else all of them would be messed up.

I tighten it by hand until it was pressing the washer down then spun it with a 5 inch socket wrench once and stop where it wasn't too tight. Basically all the tread went all the way down but the line was always still wiggly. We unscrewed it and screwed it back on again without the line and thats when we realize tread was still showing. It work on the other two but for these two the bolt never went down. It would stop at those few treads.

these factors come into play:
goodridge lines
powder coating
caliper were malfunction from factory
Old 09-30-2009, 10:50 PM
jnguyen

Yeah mike said he would check the tread on the new caliper for me before he powdercoat it. He will let me know then overnight me the new one. Hopefully it was just the caliper. I don't want to strip two more caliper that I paid for. Two of these caliper cost more than buying the whole kit cause the overnight shipping.

MIKE also told me he has other customer with the akebono that had the same problem as me.

Well I compared it to black betty picture and it looks the same.
BLACK BETTY
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/jharris70/022.jpg

then mine is posted above
Old 09-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
If you want to check the tread on the new bolts, take them into Lowe's or other hardware stores and they should have a board where the nuts and bolts are sold. You can screw it into the one that fits it and find out for sure the thread pitch of the bolt.

It looks more and more to me like the problem is buggered up threads inside your caliper hole.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:25 PM
HamstersG

I think so too, but I am wondering if if came that way? If you start the bolt by hand for several turns, there is no way you are stripping the threads without some "force" at the bottom from over-tightening.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
If you want to check the tread on the new bolts, take them into Lowe's or other hardware stores and they should have a board where the nuts and bolts are sold. You can screw it into the one that fits it and find out for sure the thread pitch of the bolt.

It looks more and more to me like the problem is buggered up threads inside your caliper hole.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:45 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by Black Betty

I already did that. The thread from goodridge can't be found at home depot or lowes. They can just determine it as a 10mm. It spins in but then not all the way just like the caliper. the tread pattern is in between two tread pattern so they can't determine it. They think its a special bolt. I even tried napa but they said the same thing

I spun it with hand first and it never went in all the way. I think it was the caliper man. Can't be the bolt cause two went in and two didn't
Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 PM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks like you rushed for no reason... I assumed you were going to HIN in Dallas? Yeah.... it's canceled.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Dam.......

Quick Reply: Help Stoptech Screws are broken or the caliper are!