Help Stoptech Screws are broken or the caliper are!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:47 AM
SOLISIMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every time you touch something with that car it breaks lol... good luck
Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 AM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
That sounds like a great idea. The threads are probably very soft in those calipers. Take it to someone who knows what they're doing if you've never tapped threads before. It's very important to make sure that all of the shavings, debris, and dust is cleaned out of the caliper before putting it back on.
Yeah I will probably go to a machine shop or call around until I find a shop. Maybe the dealership can help?

Ivoid, the stock screws are different from the replacement one. I think it's bigger.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
But all the bolts should have the same thread count and pitch. That's what I think you should be checking first. I know the stocks may not work with your new lines but you can check to see if the caliper threads are messed up.

Also check to see that all the bolts are identical. It's happened before that one (or two) bolts weren't the right bolt even though they look the same. Seen it happen on head bolts, boy was that a mess.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:10 AM
jnguyen

Yeah I put all the bolts together and they were all the same to the caliper. The reason I can't use my stock bolt is because I have the non s stocks. The bolt is the same thread but it's longer. I think it might be the 2 caliper because all four screws fit on the two working one and the four screws didn't work on the two broken one. I mean it spins down tight with the hands but you can't tell it's loose until the brAke line is on. After you put it on you see it wiggle which let's it suck in air instead of bleed.

I notice that most people on the forum has stoptech. I put the title wrong but I have the goodridge line that I bought from amplified. Maybe I should have got stoptech.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:57 PM
jnguyen

Update:

I went to the machine guy and he could not do it. He said he has american screw and does not have the right thread thing to do it. I went to the infiniti dealer. They said they might have the tap thing but they can't do it even if we pay so i'm like WTF?

I went to sears and got the tap thing with correct size and everything provided by the machine guy who told us the size and etc. The problem is the thing bottoms out so it doesn't spin in because the tread starts too high up. Here is a illustration of the tap kit screw thing.

Infiniti told me to try to find a bottom kit instead of mine. I did not find it at the sears that I went to. Now I am at home trying to saw off the tip on the the tap kit.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:32 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dang man, this car has given you nothing but trouble..time to trade it in after hin.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by jnguyen
Update:

I went to the machine guy and he could not do it. He said he has american screw and does not have the right thread thing to do it. I went to the infiniti dealer. They said they might have the tap thing but they can't do it even if we pay so i'm like WTF?

I went to sears and got the tap thing with correct size and everything provided by the machine guy who told us the size and etc. The problem is the thing bottoms out so it doesn't spin in because the tread starts too high up. Here is a illustration of the tap kit screw thing.

Infiniti told me to try to find a bottom kit instead of mine. I did not find it at the sears that I went to. Now I am at home trying to saw off the tip on the the tap kit.
If you can translate this post into English we may be able to help. But seriously WTF are you talking about? I think I understand what you are trying to say, tell me if I'm correct:

You took the caliper to a machine shop and they didn't have the proper tread pitched tap to recut the threads of the caliper's hole. You purchased a tap at Sears that isn't threaded all the way to the tip so it can't recut the thread all the way tot he bottom of the bolt hole in the caliper. You think you will be able to cut the tip off of a thread tap to try it yourself.

If this is accurate, I'd try a different approach. First, find out for 100% certain what the thread pitch is for that hole. Write it down. Next, take the caliper to a different machine shop and ask them to retap the threads in the caliper. Give them the thread pitch. It isn't something I wold recommend to do yourself unless 1) you know what you are doing with a tap and 2) you are fully prepared to eat the cost of replacing the caliper if you screw it up. BTW, hat tap should be really hard and not very easy to cut off. What are you going to use to cut it? It's not rocket science, but it's also not hard to get it crooked or tap it to the wrong pitch if you use the wrong size tap. Don't take chances of having something half ass when it comes to your brakes.

Why the hell didn't you just buy the Sport to begin with?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Ahhh bullhonkey, those taps aren't that hard. I break them in half all the time.

If you find the right tap, take it to the machinest and ask him to do it. No one has once mentioned to you how to use a tap correctly and now is not the time to learn. That is unless you are ready to buy new calipers like BB already pointed out. But then, you might already be at that point. If you do go ahead and try to cut threads, search the net for instructions first (I know I'm not going to sit here and type everything out, that would take a long time and I know very little).

I know what you are trying to do by shortening the tap and it can be done. Use lots of oil and don't let the shavings go into the caliper (you may never get them out).
Old 09-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

I guess I'm going to ask this one more time, does the stock bolt still work with the caliper (regardless of which line you use)?

Test fit the stock bolt, stock line, and caliper back together. Does the bolt tighten?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:18 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ok sounds like bolt is too long or the threads do not go all the way to the head. Dose the bolt look like this. and there is not enough thread to allow it to go down furither?

or is it fully threaded and the bolt is too long?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by shumby
ok sounds like bolt is too long or the threads do not go all the way to the head. Dose the bolt look like this. and there is not enough thread to allow it to go down furither?

or is it fully threaded and the bolt is too long?
I have the same lines. Don't forget that it's a banjo bolt, it cant be threaded all the way because of the hole for the fluid.

I haven't done mine yet because I just ordered some 2 pc. rotors today and I'm just going to wait until they come in to change the lines and pads at the same time. So I have a keen interest if something is indeed wrong or it's just user error.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:37 PM
jnguyen

Update:

Alright I brought the two rotors to my uncle shop and showed him. It basically screws down but the line wiggle letting air go in. My uncle took a look at it. He put it into all the tread holes. It turns out that is a special tread pattern and can't be found anywhere but infiniti.

He also say you can't tap it because tap are meant to go all the way through but it has that nipple at the bottle that doesn't allow it.

I'm Basically FCKING SCREWED!

He suggested I buy a helicoil to put inside it but when we got to nappa they told us the tread pattern was special and they don't have it. My uncle suggest we try to find one the same size which is 10mm but they didn't have the same tread. We had to get a 10mm with a different tread and the helicoil that would go with it. The problem is all the bolts they sell at napa was longer than the goodridge one so my uncle say he will try to cut it.

IF THIS DON't work then I lose out on 2200 dollars and I will have to back to stock brakes and rotors and line.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:39 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I have the same lines. Don't forget that it's a banjo bolt, it cant be threaded all the way because of the hole for the fluid.

I haven't done mine yet because I just ordered some 2 pc. rotors today and I'm just going to wait until they come in to change the lines and pads at the same time. So I have a keen interest if something is indeed wrong or it's just user error.
I don't think its user error because two of the bolts went on the other two caliper perfectly fine! Only two of the caliper never worked. It would screw it but the line would wiggle making the screw not work. I could even hold the caliper up by just holding the screw with my hand so I think the bottom tread of the caliper were fck up from the dealer.

I don't know if I can call Grubbs infiniti to try to warranty it since Its been powdercoated and also its been two month since I order it.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:47 PM
jnguyen

Stay subscribed J.

I recorded a video with my iphone to show you what the tread is doing. I recorded my self spinning the screw it with my hand. It spins in almost all the way then when it gets to the last few tread it will keep spinning but it doesn't go down anymore at all. It just keeps spinning. It bites on one of the caliper so It has to be the bottle tread or the bolt.

The other caliper is completely stripped. The bolt basically spins in then you can just pull it and it will come straight out.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:01 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
I know what you are trying to do by shortening the tap and it can be done. Use lots of oil and don't let the shavings go into the caliper (you may never get them out).
What happens if shavings get in the caliper?

Quick Reply: Help Stoptech Screws are broken or the caliper are!