Help Tein S Techs Installed: Rattling Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:46 PM
MaxHP2theWheels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tein S Techs Installed: Rattling Noise

Hey guys,

I went to a local performance shop yesterday. Got my Stillen Splitter and Tein S Techs installed for $280. Everything seemed fine until today. The car sat overnight. I really didn't drive it too much yesterday, just to go get it washed (Oh btw, I had to get it hand washed because the drop didn't agree with the car wash..No damage done). Anyway, around 4 PM today, I got in my car to go to the gym and I noticed a lot of rattling noise coming from the new install. I immediately took it in and drove one of the mechanics around and he heard the noise as well. He said he heard it in the rear, but, I think its coming from the front. Anyway, he jacked up the car and checked for anything lose. Nothing was found. He also popped the hood and made sure the struts were tightened.

The guy told me to bring it in tomorrow, however, they think the springs just need to settle. But, I haven't seen anything on the thread about anyone experiencing a rattling noise. A buddy said I might need a camber kit, but, I thought the Tein S techs didn't need a camber kit? The shop said the G37's springs sit away from the shocks and just needed some time. Yet, they still want me to come in tomorrow to get with the guy who did the install. They also said that they might look at twisting the springs around a little and that might help. In addition, they said cars are bound to make these kinds of noise. But, I don't believe that. The rattling noise occurs when I go over bumpy roads and when I'm at low speeds.

Anybody experience this issue with the Tein S Techs on their G? What did you do to fix it? Please help me. Our cars are too nice to be making this kind of rattling noise.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have not heard of this. I would say maybe just double check the end links. When I changed my coils they left them a little loose and rattled a bit.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:59 PM
07BlackG35Stud

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happened to me when I had my G35. MAKE SURE you double check the front strut nuts (all of them, the 3 that hold the struts in place and the center one). In my case, one of the center strut nuts was loose and it was rattling like crazy. You're going to need a wrench and something to hold the strut stem with so that when you tighten the nut the whole thing doesn't spin. Hope this helps!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:09 AM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most likely the center strut nut not completely tightened like posted above. It's happened to me a couple of times. Some times you think you got it all the way tight on the spring compressor but when it get's in the car, it's still a bit loose. No big deal, except for when the noise is the rear strut and the back seats have to come out to get to the struts. It's best to check this as soon as you put the car back down on the ground. I just zap them with my gun, but not too crazy to where it will strip or snap.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:02 AM
Rottten Appples

Need to check the torque specs on all struts involved THAT ARE SPECIFIC TO YOUR G.. Torque specs are located online or on the service manual for 2008 and prior, however im really too lazy to look for it. If the install guy just cranked it with a breaker then hence your noise prob. Additionally, you need a camber kit with the s-techs especially, imo, unless you like that neg camber and wanna wear your tires more on the inside.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:44 PM
MaxHP2theWheels

Problem Solved...Hopefully!

So, I went back today and the shop found that my strut bolt on the driver side was loose. We took it out and it was fine afterwards. I think this thread will be really useful for the future G owners who encounter the same problem. Thanks everyone for your help. Geez Up!
Old 08-13-2009, 02:12 AM
Rottten Appples

Originally Posted by MaxHP2theWheels
So, I went back today and the shop found that my strut bolt on the driver side was loose. We took it out and it was fine afterwards. I think this thread will be really useful for the future G owners who encounter the same problem. Thanks everyone for your help. Geez Up!
Wow thats kinda scary that your installer missed that.. I woulda been pissed as f*ck. Glad everything turned out ok and you're alright and not in a ditch somewhere.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:59 PM
xevious10

I'm having a similar problem on both sides. I guess I need to take my gun to the bolt. Thanks for the info.