Can I get a G37S suspension on a G37x?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:48 PM
pnk
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I get a G37S suspension on a G37x?

Hello everyone,

Newbie here considering buying a G37. I test drove both the G37x and G37S yesterday.

Since I live in the snow-belt and wanted the G37x, I drove that first. Liked the engine, but the suspension was too soft for me, as the car understeered everywhere. Note that my current car is a Subaru WRX with a stiffened suspension so I am willing to give up some comfort for the right performance.

The salesman had just joined Inifiniti and said that there was a sport package available, but they only had a G37S 6MT available, and would I like to take that out for a spin? So I did, and I absolutely loved it. Great turn-in, strong brakes. It would be an ideal car if I lived in a warm climate. But I was more than willing to buy an automatic G37x with that suspension.

So after the test-drive the salesman realized his error and stated that the G37x does not have a stiffer suspension with its sport package. That soured me on the deal.

But I am wondering how difficult it would be to retrofit a stiffer suspension on the G37x? Is it just a difference in sway bars? Or is it more involved than that?

pnk
Old 06-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It probably can be done. The X rides a smidge higher than the standard and sport versions. Call riverside infiniti. I don't think there is a difference in sway bars or bushings, just in springs/shocks. Also, the S has sticky summer tires and the X has all seasons, probably a lot less grippy.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike S.
It probably can be done. The X rides a smidge higher than the standard and sport versions. Call riverside infiniti. I don't think there is a difference in sway bars or bushings, just in springs/shocks. Also, the S has sticky summer tires and the X has all seasons, probably a lot less grippy.
Actually the sways are a tad bit stiffer on the sport versions then the traditional all wheel drive. I would just go aftermarket in that case though.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Triple_X

for the x model, you can switch to eibachs... don't believe you can put the S springs on since the shocks are different.

The sways are also a bit different and there are no current aftermarket alternatives.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:52 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can use just about any spring on the X that would normally work on the S model. The shocks are different, and you must use the X shocks (the fronts have a fork to clear the front axle).

The S springs would be a better match for the stock shocks than Eibach. Using aftermarket springs will typically decrease the life of your shocks (lower/stiffer causes excess wear on the shocks). Since the stock "S" springs are not as low, and not as stiff as the Eibachs, they should allow your shocks to last longer.

Sway-bars are different to clear the AWD components, and cannot be used. The only thing that can be used is the springs, and any spring will work (just depends on how low you want to go).... There are no sway-bars or shocks out for the AWD. BC is working on a set of coilovers.

Gotta love people posting that have no clue....
Old 06-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Triple_X

Originally Posted by jran76
You can use just about any spring on the X that would normally work on the S model. The shocks are different, and you must use the X shocks (the fronts have a fork to clear the front axle).

The S springs would be a better match for the stock shocks than Eibach. Using aftermarket springs will typically decrease the life of your shocks (lower/stiffer causes excess wear on the shocks). Since the stock "S" springs are not as low, and not as stiff as the Eibachs, they should allow your shocks to last longer.

Sway-bars are different to clear the AWD components, and cannot be used. The only thing that can be used is the springs, and any spring will work (just depends on how low you want to go).... There are no sway-bars or shocks out for the AWD. BC is working on a set of coilovers.

Gotta love people posting that have no clue....
yes I agree. I guess eibach an H & R made different part numbers for the AWD models instead of just selling the same part as the sports because they were bored.

http://eibach.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe...86269700011090

note "G37, Coupe, 3.7L V6
(Incl. "S" & Active-Steer. Exc. AWD.)"

Last edited by Triple_X; 06-29-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:58 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by Triple_X
yes I agree. I guess eibach an H & R made different part numbers for the AWD models instead of just selling the same part as the sports because they were bored.

http://eibach.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe...86269700011090

note "G37, Coupe, 3.7L V6
(Incl. "S" & Active-Steer. Exc. AWD.)"

What's your point? I think everyone agrees that he could use H&R or Eibach, or any other 2nd Gen G35/37 spring for that matter. Your the one that said S springs would not work, and that is strait up wrong. Not sure what else to say.... There were 3 posts in this thread and all contained some piece of false information.

Eibach did it because of the different rebound and compression of the AWD shocks. Will some springs work better than others? Yes, probably so. I stand by my comment that the S springs will allow the shocks to last longer than any Eibach alternative.

Last edited by jran76; 06-30-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:43 PM
pnk
Registered Member

Thank you all for your replies. It looks like the suspension mods will be more involved than I would like. I am very comfortable with swapping out sway bars and I have a pretty good idea of what they can accomplish, especially since most sway bars are adustable.

I am reluctant to go down the path of buying a G37 and replacing the springs as I just don't know how the vehicle would feel afterwards. The G37 is a great value, but it's still a decent chunk of change, and I want to make sure it turns out right. If I happen to find someone who has already a G37x with a modified suspension that I could ride, I would reconsider it.

pnk
Old 06-29-2009, 09:05 PM
brynomon

I am absolutely confused here. See I have a 2009 G37xS from the factory and tires aside I got the xS version for the paddleshifters and tighter suspension.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:23 PM
pnk
Registered Member

I just tried building a G37X on Infiniti's web site, and here is what comes up when I ask for info on the sport package.

• Split 5-spoke 18 x 7.5-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/50R18 (front) and 18 x 8.5-inch 245/45R18 (rear) summer performance tires (RWD models) • Split 5-spoke 18 x 7.5-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/50R18 all-season performance tires (front/rear) (AWD models)
• Sport brakes with 4-piston opposed front calipers with 14-inch rotors and 2-piston opposed rear calipers with 13.8-inch rotors (RWD models)
• Unique front fascia and side sills
• Solid-magnesium paddle shifters (not available on G37 Sport 6MT)
• Front sport seats with manual thigh extension and driver’s power torso and thigh support adjustment
• Unique sport stitching on steering wheel and front seats
• Aluminum pedals and footrest
• Sport-tuned suspension (RWD models)
• Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (RWD models)

Most of the goodies are reserved for the RWD models unfortunately.

pnk
Old 06-30-2009, 12:55 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by pnk
Thank you all for your replies. It looks like the suspension mods will be more involved than I would like. I am very comfortable with swapping out sway bars and I have a pretty good idea of what they can accomplish, especially since most sway bars are adustable.

I am reluctant to go down the path of buying a G37 and replacing the springs as I just don't know how the vehicle would feel afterwards. The G37 is a great value, but it's still a decent chunk of change, and I want to make sure it turns out right. If I happen to find someone who has already a G37x with a modified suspension that I could ride, I would reconsider it.

pnk
Replacing springs on the G37 is super easy (the rear takes about 5 minutes, and the front maybe a couple of hours with a spring compressor). Also, check out the 2nd Gen sedan section on www.g35driver.com. There are quite a few AWD sedans that are running non-X springs. They should be able to give you a good idea on the ride. I would personally do it in a heart beat. It is easy, and there are many alternatives (stock S springs, and many others have run Tanabe, Eibach, H&R, etc.).

Just as an FYI, the stock-S springs will be a very mild drop, the Eibach's will be slightly more, and the H&R's will slam it pretty good. The Tanabe springs I saw on the X, had an uneven drop. From a handling improvement standpoint, all will stiffen up the springs a bit. It is hard to compare the Eibach springs because they are progressive springs and don't have a specific spring rate. None of the others are much stiffer than the "S" suspension.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:12 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
my friend's 2nd gen was on the 1st gen h&R sedan springs and rode very smooth with 20's on it. the AWD is your best bet if you live on the snow belt.... and that belt you can't change unless you move
Old 07-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Alex57r

Originally Posted by brynomon
I am absolutely confused here. See I have a 2009 G37xS from the factory and tires aside I got the xS version for the paddleshifters and tighter suspension.
No Sport suspension on the Xs.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:50 PM
clew84

That is the case - no tighter suspension and no big brakes that come with the RWD S version. If the XS version came with these things it would make my buying decision much simpler. I guess you can do it after the fact though with the S springs?
Old 07-02-2009, 04:27 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I drove an 08 xS for almost a year. IMO in the real world the stock suspension on the xS is fine. I never ever had any issues with the suspension. If I still had my xS I would of left the suspension as is and upgraded the brakes. If you plan to use your G on a track upgrade both.

Quick Reply: Can I get a G37S suspension on a G37x?