Help SPC Front Camber Kit Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:29 PM
G_Thang

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SPC Front Camber Kit Rattle

Well.. Now I have rattles at all 4 corners. I installed the SPC upper arms and as the title states... something is rattling. It almost sounds like the coil is binding. Im going to preload the control arms again and try, but has anybody else experienced this?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:38 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G_Thang
Well.. Now I have rattles at all 4 corners. I installed the SPC upper arms and as the title states... something is rattling. It almost sounds like the coil is binding. Im going to preload the control arms again and try, but has anybody else experienced this?
I have BC coils along with the arms as well, I made the DIY for the install.

I have contacted SPC regarding an issue with the arms. Can you tell me how high the fronts were before/after installation? Mine were 26.25" from ground to fender in the front. After installing, the fronts were 1/4" higher due to the SPC arms being larger by the knuckle. B/c of this, I lowered the front 1/4" to compensate.

Before and after I lowered the front, I had what you might call a rattle, but it's not... it's actually the top of the SPC arm topping out in the fender well... metal on metal contact.

SPC sent me some bump stops to place on the BC coils in the fronts to stop the metal to metal contact, but I still think the arms should be made smaller by the knuckle in order to not have issues in the first place. I don't want to drive around town hitting the bump stops up front all day long... but I really don't want it topping out with metal on metal contact.

PM me if you want to discuss further.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:39 PM
HamstersG

Tighten everything to correct torque?

No problems so far, but only about 50 miles on them. I did preload one side before tightening the mounting bolts and did not preload the other side. Noticed the non-preloaded side was about 1/4 higher. Been traveling, but if still the same when I get back I am going to preload the one side I did not do.....and then adjust in a bit as I went too positive.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:07 PM
HamstersG

On Eibach. Side I preloaded is at 26.50" and side that was not preloaded is at 26.75". They were both right at 26.50" before. I am going to have to listen better for the metal - metal contact.

Originally Posted by finagle69
I have BC coils along with the arms as well, I made the DIY for the install.

I have contacted SPC regarding an issue with the arms. Can you tell me how high the fronts were before/after installation? Mine were 26.25" from ground to fender in the front. After installing, the fronts were 1/4" higher due to the SPC arms being larger by the knuckle. B/c of this, I lowered the front 1/4" to compensate.

Before and after I lowered the front, I had what you might call a rattle, but it's not... it's actually the top of the SPC arm topping out in the fender well... metal on metal contact.

SPC sent me some bump stops to place on the BC coils in the fronts to stop the metal to metal contact, but I still think the arms should be made smaller by the knuckle in order to not have issues in the first place. I don't want to drive around town hitting the bump stops up front all day long... but I really don't want it topping out with metal on metal contact.

PM me if you want to discuss further.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:31 PM
G_Thang

As fina said, Its metal to metal contact. The danm arms are kissing the fender well. I called SPC and left a message, so I'll see what they have to say tomorrow. In my message I told them there is a design flaw in the arms, which there obviously is if they touch the fender well.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:50 PM
HamstersG

Curious. What is the rattle from the rear caused by?

As fina said, Its metal to metal contact. The danm arms are kissing the fender well. I called SPC and left a message, so I'll see what they have to say tomorrow. In my message I told them there is a design flaw in the arms, which there obviously is if they touch the fender well.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:33 PM
xlack
Registered Member

hey i have rattles after installing my spc rears too. i thought it was my exhaust but apparently not. im also wondering what causes it.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:36 PM
G_Thang

Originally Posted by HamstersG
Curious. What is the rattle from the rear caused by?
You know I bought these coils knowing they had the rattles, but I was confident I could fix it. I've replaced the pillowballs as BC said, I preloaded like BC said.. I've done everything in my power, but I've came to the conclusion its the manufacturing of the shocks. I think the strut rod and cylinder have excessive clearance and when you hit a bump the slop lets the strut rod wobble inside the tube. Thats what I thought it was the very first time I heard the noise. I've been working with BC and I'll keep everybody informed. I know there are still a lot of BC coilover owners out there with the rattle.

I measured from ground to fender and Im at 25.375 on one side and 25.75 on the other. Lil lop sided I know? I preloaded the front right side and with the tire off, I measured (from the top of the arm to the fender) about an inch. They obviously performed NO R&D on this product. No engineer in his right mind would have allowed only an inch of travel in the front suspension. I may be replacing these with stock. My camber spec was at -2.2 on both sided and thats about one degree out of max spec.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:38 PM
G_Thang

Originally Posted by xlack
hey i have rattles after installing my spc rears too. i thought it was my exhaust but apparently not. im also wondering what causes it.

The rattles we are referring are from the front. I didnt have any troubles with the rear.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:39 PM
xlack
Registered Member

i haven installed the fronts yet. maybe i need to tighten things up then. werd..
Old 03-27-2009, 12:33 AM
G_Thang

Originally Posted by xlack
i haven installed the fronts yet. maybe i need to tighten things up then. werd..

Did you make sure you tightened the two locking nuts on each end of the turn buckle on the rear link? Are you sure the cams on the toe bolts were resting in the slotted seat? Thats all I could think of in the rear camber kit.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:52 AM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
thank god for u guinea pigs...haha jkjk

i really wanna lower my ride...but after reading soo many threads about camber issues and this and that....i'm really hesitant on lowering now....
Old 03-27-2009, 01:42 AM
G_Thang

Originally Posted by gtracing
thank god for u guinea pigs...haha jkjk

i really wanna lower my ride...but after reading soo many threads about camber issues and this and that....i'm really hesitant on lowering now....

Yeah its not pretty. I've never had as hard of time working on a car as I have this G37. EVERYTHING is a disaster. It seems to me vendors are selling a lot of parts that have no solid engineering behind them.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:05 PM
HamstersG

Not sure it has been that bad. It really kind of depends on how much on the bleeding edge with the new stuff you are.

Yeah its not pretty. I've never had as hard of time working on a car as I have this G37. EVERYTHING is a disaster. It seems to me vendors are selling a lot of parts that have no solid engineering behind them.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:47 PM
THMotorsports
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
For the fronts we are working on a revision for everyone who has them.
As for the rears, what kind of "rattling is this". Its a full replacement so there should not be a problem.

Eddie

Quick Reply: Help SPC Front Camber Kit Rattle