Help SPC Front Camber Kit Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 03:05 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome info HamstersG! That's a great side-by-side picture of the arms. Unfortunately, the dealership still has my car. :-/ I may not have access to it until Tuesday...
Old 04-04-2009, 03:41 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All test fitting results posted now in post #105.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:09 PM
THMotorsports
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
HamstersG, thanks for helping the community out!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:52 AM
finagle69

I was finally able to install my test arms today.

In short, the arms, being shorter, provide less positive adjustment. However, the arm's full travel lands them in the intended pocket in the fender well.

A note though, it that maximum positive camber adjustment on the arms cannot be used as the leading edge of the adjuster will contact the upslope of the steel forming the pocket. The fix here is to slide the camber adjuster about 1 to 2mm in from the most positive setting. Also of note is that I installed with 1 notch of negative caster. If you run 0 caster, the camber adjuster would likely need to be slid in 2 to 3mm instead of the above.

My install was very quick and dirty last night, so I didn't get any pictures or measurements. I'll do that tonight and send all of that info to SPC.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
So does using the G35 version sound like an option to you all?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 AM
HamstersG

It is looking that way. Right now the G35 arm looks pretty good for those running Eibach or similar drops in the front. I am running max camber adjustment and -0.5 caster on one side and do not hit metal-metal. I bottom out the suspension travel before the arm hits the fender.

Finagle hits with his coilovers and he is about 1/2 to 3/4 lower than me which is why he mentions backing off on the caster adjustment.

So making progress.

Originally Posted by Blackjack
So does using the G35 version sound like an option to you all?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:04 AM
finagle69

I'd say for actual driveability, the G35 arms are a no-brainer. At least the leading edge of the arm itself doesn't hit anything. The only remaining problem is the top nut hitting the top of the fender. It seems there are only two ways to mitigate this problem: 1- shorten the height of the balljoint by either removing caster adjustability or by some other means, 2- by installing the SPC provided urethane washers as additional bumpstops.

option 2 is less preferable, but after driving today with negative caster, I really don't want to give that up! the car is able to be thrown into corners so much easier, it just feels lighter.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:14 AM
HamstersG

I agree with the caster comment. Since the camber/caster adjustment mechanism is +1" over OEM, if they can come up with a design that gives back 1/2" and uses an offset design to eliminates the place where you are hitting, then I think they would have a winner. But even with that magic, I think it is going to require some bumpstops with those going real low. I just don't see how you can get around it due to the fender? Thoughts?

Originally Posted by finagle69
I'd say for actual driveability, the G35 arms are a no-brainer. At least the leading edge of the arm itself doesn't hit anything. The only remaining problem is the top nut hitting the top of the fender. It seems there are only two ways to mitigate this problem: 1- shorten the height of the balljoint by either removing caster adjustability or by some other means, 2- by installing the SPC provided urethane washers as additional bumpstops.

option 2 is less preferable, but after driving today with negative caster, I really don't want to give that up! the car is able to be thrown into corners so much easier, it just feels lighter.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 AM
machinist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed my SPC rear camber kit and dropped on Eibach's for my X coupe (1.9" front, 1.6 " rear). The shop who test drove my car said that there's a bit of tire noise on my front 20" tires and said that because the front wheels are off by 2 degrees, I definately need a front camber kit. The one I got from Andy doesn't have the bumper stops and the car feels weird when driving. I literally feel every bump now, but I guess that's the cost I pay for dropping on Eibach's. Now I don't know what the hell to do. Do I request G35 arms for the front? Do I get the front bumper stops? Someone please help! Thx in advance!
Old 04-12-2009, 11:14 AM
C@ciQ

Like everybody else on this thread....Patience my friend...Patience.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:17 AM
machinist

I hear ya man...so to play it safe, I should probably send my front camber kit back to Andy, since it's completely unusable and just wait for the released permanent fix, right?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:27 AM
C@ciQ

The word I got is that in order to adjust camber in our cars the arm has to stay the way it is. So the temporary fix will be the permanent fix. Im telling you what I heard. I cant prove you wrong or right. Is up to SPC.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:28 AM
machinist

Hmm...fair enough. Thx for sharing. I'm going again to get more work done to the car Monday @ 8:30am so I'll have them contact Steve or whoever from SPC and figure out a fix for it.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:16 PM
HamstersG

Here is part of an email I have from Jeff Pagani @ SPC.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 5:19 PM
Subject: RE: Problem with Front Camber Arms on G37S w/Pictures

Dave,

Based on the feedback we are getting from you and John, it looks like we will continue down the road with using the G35 arms for the G37 application. Bump stop washers will become part of the kit. We will still work on improving the design as much as possible.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I would give it another week or so until SPC issues something official.

Originally Posted by machinist
Hmm...fair enough. Thx for sharing. I'm going again to get more work done to the car Monday @ 8:30am so I'll have them contact Steve or whoever from SPC and figure out a fix for it.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:09 PM
xlack
Registered Member

who do I get the free bump stops from? I ordered mine from Andy and have never installed it yet. Can someone direct me where to request those from? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Help SPC Front Camber Kit Rattle