Help SPC Front Camber Kit Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
This is getting ridiculous... I wish we had another manufacturer producing these.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:01 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine are in the mail, but it sure sounds like someone pulled the wrong part number for you.

Update: Search on SPC web site for that part number says: "Sorry, no text available for part number 721208".

Originally Posted by G_Thang
I just received by bump stops and Im sitting here scratching my head I received 20 metal L shaped tabs with a pole punched thru and 2 tabs pointing down??? WTF is this. I thought it was a polyurethane bump stop we were being sent??? Anyone else get these in the mail? The P/N on the bag says 721208.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:31 PM
G_Thang

Originally Posted by HamstersG
Mine are in the mail, but it sure sounds like someone pulled the wrong part number for you.

Update: Search on SPC web site for that part number says: "Sorry, no text available for part number 721208".

No doubt they did. Man why does this **** always happen to me.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Hpauto
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No doubt they did. Man why does this **** always happen to me.
Call and speak to Jeff in R&D. If you were sent the wrong part number, they will send you new ones. The part # is not on their site but is in their system.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Guess what the UPS man dropped off at the door just a little while ago? Thanks for working with me Andy.

And yesterday I got an even bigger box!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Hpauto
Banned

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
Guess what the UPS man dropped off at the door just a little while ago? Thanks for working with me Andy.

And yesterday I got an even bigger box!!!
HAHA np man, glad the parts showed up to you in due time.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:40 PM
G_Thang

This ***** humper is gonna turn into one long thread I feel!!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 04:43 PM
HamstersG

Maybe we will catch Blackjack's 13,000+ post count.

This ***** humper is gonna turn into one long thread I feel!!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Tainui

My $0.02 is to be patient and let the guys work. Look at the sheer number of hits/posts on this thread and the relative time they've had to correct an issue.

Give them a little bit to get it right. No sense acting like Congress and screwing things up further trying to be helpful.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:07 PM
G_Thang

Originally Posted by Tainui
My $0.02 is to be patient and let the guys work. Look at the sheer number of hits/posts on this thread and the relative time they've had to correct an issue.

Give them a little bit to get it right. No sense acting like Congress and screwing things up further trying to be helpful.

Oh Ima waitin patiently
Old 04-02-2009, 09:47 AM
HamstersG

Actually I think both pictures / descriptions are correct. Since I am on Eibach, I do not have has much adjustment which means that the arm hits and not the top of the screw. When I held the arm in place against the fender (picture in previous post), I felt for clearance on top of the nut and I was good....barely.

For Finagle69, I am sure that he is running more adjustment than me since he is on coilovers dialed in lower. So that moves the adjustment toward the outside of the car bringing the top of the bolt/screw into play which is why his picture shows multiple marks.

This is something that we need to put on the checklist with the G35 arms test fit.

Originally Posted by Blackjack
But according to Hamsters pics, it doensn't look like that is what is hitting the fender. It looks like it's the actual arm.
Originally Posted by finagle69
That's true, however, they're thinking of shortening the length of the arms, which will put it in the pocket it should travel into. At that time, then the screw length will be an issue. Just trying to think ahead to maximize the amount of suspension travel and minimize the use or number needed of the urethane washer bump stops.

Edit. Now that i think about it, mine hit both the leading edge of the arm and the top of the threaded rod... I'll find the pic I have of it.

Double Edit. removed

Triple Edit. I found the pic. See attached.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:59 PM
HamstersG

SPC G35 Arms and Bushings

I was told not to expect the G35 arms to test fit until next week, but SPC sent 2nd day overnight. They arrived a little while ago.

Here are the bushings that anyone can get who asks for them.

And here is the G35 arm compared to the OEM arm. They look shorter than the G37 arm. Tomorrow I will get them test fitted and post up.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:05 PM
machinist

Hey Hamster....thanks for posting! I'm dying to know whether those will fit. They're sending my front camber arms even though I said I don't want it! I'm able to ship it back without any problems, but I'm gonna wait to see what your feedback is before I send mine back.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:01 PM
jnguyen

thanks for posting up hamster. let us know how it goes. Im still waiting so i can get a front camber to install the same time as my rear
Old 04-04-2009, 02:14 PM
HamstersG

SPC G35 A-Arm Test Fit Results

I am going to post what I have done so far and update this post again later today so everything stays together. NOTE: All of the following is just based on test fitting the SPC G35 arm to a G37 with 19" OEM wheels and Eibach springs. This information was requested by SPC when they sent me the G35 arms to test fit and not intended to be official or final results as to what they are going to do for the G37 arms.

I wanted to document the differences between the OEM, G37 and G35 a-arms before test fitting the G35 arm which I will do next.

Here are all three arms side-by-side. The G35 arm is about 2mm longer than the OEM. The G37 arm is about 17mm longer than the OEM. The arms are the only difference as far as I can tell. The camber/caster adjustment assembly is identical. The instruction sheet is identical and covers 72270 (Lexus GS), 72130 (G35 Sedan) and 72135 (G37 Coupe and 370Z).

As for range of camber adjustment, there is definitely less positive correction on the G35 arm compared to the G37 arm as you can tell from the above picture. I set the new G35 arm to approximately the same distance (see Finagle69's DIY thread) as what I had on the G37 arm. This had taken me from -1.3 degrees per last alignment to -0.3 per manual measurement. Here is the picture of the backside of the arm at that setting.

Then I moved the camber adjustment to the max outer adjustment position and measured the additional movement. It was another 4-5mm. Here is that picture.

So using Finagle69's spreadsheet and the FSM, I roughly calculate that you could be as much as about -2.5 degrees camber without adjustment and get back into the upper spec limit of -1.17.

Finagle69 is going to test fit as well and he is on coilovers and 20" wheels.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Test Fitting Results:

So here is a picture of the G35 arm up as high as it will go against the fender.

From the picture above, you can see that the arm is going into the "pocket" in the fender just like the OEM arm. However, from the angel of the picture you can not tell how much clearnance is gained. So I came up with this idea in the next picture.

I taped this strip of paper on and then held the arm up as high as it would go and then marked on the paper about where the G37 arm hit. With my setting, the arm travels up an additional +30mm with a margin of error of about 3mm being as it is a pain to measure up under the fender. 30mm is the lowest mark on the paper.

Then I set the camber to the max setting (moves it out toward the edge of the car) and measured the additional upward movement of the arm again. That came to +24mm with about the same margn of error.

Conclusions: And as it has been previously pointed out I ain't no mechanical engineer, so take this for what it is worth.
  • With the current camber/caster adjustment mechanism, the G35 arm cannot be made any larger without decreasing the upward travel of the a-arm.
  • At the max camber setting, I believe that the fender is striking at least partially the camber/caster mechanism along with the edge of the arm. It is very hard to tell. If that is true, then not good as I am afraid that it could slowly bang you camber toward a slightly more negative setting or damage the camber/caster mechanism.
  • It appears that to acquire more upward travel of the a-arm and increase the camber range, the camber/caster mechanism and/or the height of the camber/caster mechanism mounting plate would have to be changed.
  • Since going from OEM arm to G37 arm reduces upward travel of the a-arm by about 2 inches in total, I am not sure if this is going to be enough to solve the problem for those with Eibachs. I will get both arms on and report in a day or so.

If anyone has any additional things they want checked, then hollar now. If I have everything back together and can not do it, then maybe Finagle69 can in a few days when he test fits.

And one more time. Please remember that this is just a test fitting for SPC. It is not a product review on anything final from SPC.

Last edited by HamstersG; 04-04-2009 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Help SPC Front Camber Kit Rattle