Help SPC Front Camber Kit Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:38 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With Eibach, G35 arms, -0.5 caster, I took some bumps and angled approaches hard enough (harder than I would ever normally drive) to feel the suspension bottom out. Did not hear any metal-metal and took it apart and could not find any marks. I would like any new arm just in the 5% chance I put coilovers on one day, but I think the G35 arm is fine for this set-up. If you can wait, I would give it some time to hear from SPC as to if they are going to change anything and they may or may not. The next step is for the two of us with the test arms to get alignments with some range of adjustments measured. SPC is writing up exactly what they want the shops to measure.

Originally Posted by TimsG37s
Hey Hamster? I just had my Eibach's and SPC rear camber kit installed the other day and I had the front SPC ordered too but cancelled it after reading all of this a couple weeks ago. I still want the SPC front but only after it is fixed. You think the G35 arm is an acceptable solution? Have you had it hit medal at all since you installed them? If it works right and never hits the fender then I will just order the G35 arm. Thanks for the help on this.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:43 PM
JLai

Any update?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:19 AM
machinist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is getting pretty damn annoying. Has SPC released any updates yet?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:47 AM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
no, they were waiting for Hamster and me to get alignments to finalize numbers. chill, it's not their fault.

I (stupidly) forgot my alignment sheet at home this morning, however, I can say that maximum positve adjusted camber with a coilover drop down to 26-1/8" from ground to fender is -0.9 deg*.

*this measurement was taken with caster adjusted negative one notch. if you do not adjust the caster, then the camber plate has to be slid in a milimeter or so. this is due to the edge of the pocket where the top of the arm travels into. basically the leading edge will just hit it, but either sliding it in, or leaving it at max with one notch of negative caster will work. i like the negative caster for handling purposes anyway.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:52 PM
JLai

Originally Posted by finagle69
no, they were waiting for Hamster and me to get alignments to finalize numbers. chill, it's not their fault.

I (stupidly) forgot my alignment sheet at home this morning, however, I can say that maximum positve adjusted camber with a coilover drop down to 26-1/8" from ground to fender is -0.9 deg*.

*this measurement was taken with caster adjusted negative one notch. if you do not adjust the caster, then the camber plate has to be slid in a milimeter or so. this is due to the edge of the pocket where the top of the arm travels into. basically the leading edge will just hit it, but either sliding it in, or leaving it at max with one notch of negative caster will work. i like the negative caster for handling purposes anyway.
Any idea when either of you will get the alignments done?
Old 04-29-2009, 07:15 PM
finagle69

I had mine done on Saturday.

I measure 26 1/8" from ground to fender.

Max positive adjusted camber is (-) 0.8 degrees up front. My starting camber with OEMs was around (-) 1.9 degrees.

HamstersG is on Eibachs, so his will likely be less negative.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:34 AM
JLai

Max positive adjusted camber is (-) 0.8 degrees up front. My starting camber with OEMs was around (-) 1.9 degrees.

Humm...

Some people got -2.0 up front with the Eibachs. I'm not sure how, since you're only at -1.9? In any event, adjusted +0.8 = -1.2. That's still not within spec...and that's with a mild drop. This does not bode well.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm still confused... Are you all recommending we go with the G35 version now?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Triple_X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ from what I've gathered g35 arms are good with eibachs and if you don't plan on going any lower. In your case with CO's, I think you should use the g37 with a few bumpstops. . . I could be wrong though and not quite sure the reasoning
Old 04-30-2009, 11:38 AM
finagle69

Originally Posted by JLai
Humm...

Some people got -2.0 up front with the Eibachs. I'm not sure how, since you're only at -1.9? In any event, adjusted +0.8 = -1.2. That's still not within spec...and that's with a mild drop. This does not bode well.
OK, your mathemagics aren't right here. the Eibach drop is not as low as mine is on coilovers... HamstersG listed the amount of drop the eibach's give him somewhere up in this thread. I'd suspect that if you're on eibach's, the max positive adjusted camber you will get is around (-) 0.4. is this making sense? remember, i'm a good bit lower than a typical eibach drop.

EDIT: I reread your post. I may be mistaken with the original number. it could have been more negative than 1.9, i just don't have a true reference point except for what i calculated.

Originally Posted by Blackjack
I'm still confused... Are you all recommending we go with the G35 version now?
Yes, if you purchase a new set from SPC, they will not ship you the G37 arms, but will send the G35 arms instead. You're getting KW's correct? If so, if you drop lower than mine (26 1/8" ground to fender) then your camber will be correctable less than (-)0.8 degrees, probably more like (-) 1.0 or (-) 1.2 depending how slammed you make it. Also, I don't know of anyone else on KW's with the arms, but the number of bumpstops (urethane washers) you'll need to add will most likely be less than mine. I needed 13 on each side to reduce contact with fender (again, i think this is BC related).

Originally Posted by Triple_X
^^ from what I've gathered g35 arms are good with eibachs and if you don't plan on going any lower. In your case with CO's, I think you should use the g37 with a few bumpstops. . . I could be wrong though and not quite sure the reasoning
wrong wrong wrong!!! you suck!!
Old 04-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, if you purchase a new set from SPC, they will not ship you the G37 arms, but will send the G35 arms instead. You're getting KW's correct? If so, if you drop lower than mine (26 1/8" ground to fender) then your camber will be correctable less than (-)0.8 degrees, probably more like (-) 1.0 or (-) 1.2 depending how slammed you make it. Also, I don't know of anyone else on KW's with the arms, but the number of bumpstops (urethane washers) you'll need to add will most likely be less than mine. I needed 13 on each side to reduce contact with fender (again, i think this is BC related).
You still need bumpstops with the G35 version???
Old 04-30-2009, 05:51 PM
finagle69

Yes. Lots. 2 reasons:

1) The camber/caster adjuster ball-joint is taller than the OEM ball joint. That distance doesn't just go away, and it will hit the fender unless bump stops are put on the strut.

2) BC coilovers are not the most effectively R&D'd coilover system on the planet, so the size and location of the BC bump stop is not optimal.

So, as I said, you will likely need them, just probably not as many.

PS: how is it not having all the nav commands? or did you have the neutered version on your BO? i've driven a hacked car and hated it. i loooove my full voice commands.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:48 PM
HamstersG

I will be at least another week. Too busy at work to get my car back together. However, I was at -1.7 and -1.3 deg on OEM bar and I am pretty confident that I will end up at -0.4 give or take a little based on all the manual measurements I did. That would be in align with your results.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:54 PM
HamstersG

For the benefit of others.....not if on Eibach. At least that is my experience so far.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:11 PM
JLai

*anxious to see hamster's results before I trade in for g35 arms. Eibachs should be getting out of backorder this week.*

Quick Reply: Help SPC Front Camber Kit Rattle