Help SPC Front Camber Kit Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Hpauto
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HamstersG
I have posted all I know. I have not heard from Jeff at SPC since 4/8. I sent him an email just now to see if they had anything "official" they wanted to post up.
Here is the updated email I got from Jeff today:

"We sent 2 sets of G35 arms to a couple of guys. They both installed them but I don't have final alignment readings yet to complete the fit up analysis.

One used Eibach springs and the other was coilovers. So we should have decent representation for the different styles.

Initial feedback from the Eibach user was that unless he hit really hard, ie going too fast over a bump, he was not getting interference.

The other piece of knowledge users will have to understand is that with a lowered vehicle eventually something has to bottom out. The intended
stop mechanism is the bump stop or bump stop washer. We did start to supply washers with all kits leaving the factory.

One last item to clarify. One of the users said the arms were holding up the ride height of the car. That's not possible unless the arms are installed improperly, which was the case. You cannot tighten the bushings with the arms hanging down. This preloads the bushing and under this condition the arms can hold up the car.

The arm bushings need to be tightened at their estimated final ride height location. Once this was clarified to the user, he readjusted the arms and bushings and the car ride height sat where expected. This is covered in the installation instructions but is easy to overlook.

I'll pass on more as soon as I know

Jeff"
Old 04-16-2009, 11:27 PM
machinist

Hey Andy, I know things are still up in the air with SPC, but how long can I safely hold on to the front arms and be reassured that I can still get a refund from you or a replacement at least for the G35 arms if that ends up being the fix?
Old 04-17-2009, 04:38 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Update:

2 nights ago, I installed bumpstops onto my passenger side BC Coilovers.

Here is a quote from the email I sent to Jeff@SPC detailing how I came up with the amount required. Also attached is a picture of showing the number needed.

Jeff,

This may come as a surprise, but I found that 13, yes, 13 urethane washers were needed for the passenger side strut. I’ll explain how I came to this conclusion.

When I had the G37 arms on, I installed 4 washers on the driver side. I thought this was enough to mitigate contact, though I may have been wrong. After installing these, I jacked up the passenger side and slid the BC bump stop far down the shock tube. When I received the G35 arms, I installed them, then drove the car over a week and over 1200 miles, hitting metal to metal a few times. Last night, I tore down the passenger side suspension, removed the spring, and found the BC bump stop traveled up the shock tube, but was short of the metal sop by a good 2”. I grabbed a stack of washers and started loosely fitting them up. 12 washers fit just fine, but I was able to wedge 1 more washer in to make it really tight <see photo at end of email>. Then I went ahead and installed all 13 washers in a permanent fashion.

I feel confident that this amount of washers will end the frustration with hitting metal to metal. I will say that this most likely has more to do with BC Racing using poor R&D practices to find a better bump stop size for the G37 application. Granted, washers would be necessary due to the height increase that SPC imposed on the arms, but no more than about an inch worth. This, unfortunately, will likely only be applicable to those – like myself – who have BC Coilovers as their suspension. Other coilovers may have longer bump stops and might require fewer washers. Fortunately, I have enough washers to install 9 more on my driver side.
Attached Thumbnails SPC Front Camber Kit Rattle-1.jpg  
Old 04-17-2009, 08:12 PM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by finagle69
Update:

2 nights ago, I installed bumpstops onto my passenger side BC Coilovers.

Here is a quote from the email I sent to Jeff@SPC detailing how I came up with the amount required. Also attached is a picture of showing the number needed.
13?!? Good god. There has to be a better product. We need an official position by SPC on what they're going to do.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:23 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JLai
13?!? Good god. There has to be a better product. We need an official position by SPC on what they're going to do.
If you read it again, you'll see that I think it's a BC thing... I don't think BC fully R&D'd the product enought to truly dial in how much shock tube travel there should be and how large the bump stop should have been.

I'd be willing to bet that someone with some KWv3's would find that they may only need 4 or 5 washers to achieve the same thing...
Old 04-17-2009, 08:23 PM
HamstersG

I think you missed a key part of Finagle69's post that said: "I will say that this most likely has more to do with BC Racing using poor R&D practices to find a better bump stop size for the G37 application."

Old 04-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you missed a key part of Finagle69's post that said: "I will say that this most likely has more to do with BC Racing using poor R&D practices to find a better bump stop size for the G37 application."
somebody gotta try them out with other coilover setup!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:25 PM
JLai

Either way, we shouldn't have to be riding on bumpstops. It will make the ride a lot harsher...granted still better than hitting metal in the fender well, but damn.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:00 PM
JLai

Quick question...

What is the range of camber adjustment for using the G35 arms in a G37?
Old 04-18-2009, 04:13 PM
HamstersG

Neither of us with the arms have gotten official alignments yet to determine the full + and - range. We are working on getting that done. However, I estimated per post #105 that the + range with G35 arm in G37 with -0.5 caster was about +1.3deg adjustment maybe a little more. Again, official alignments pending.

Quick question...

What is the range of camber adjustment for using the G35 arms in a G37?
Old 04-19-2009, 01:04 AM
JLai

Neither of us with the arms have gotten official alignments yet to determine the full + and - range. We are working on getting that done. However, I estimated per post #105 that the + range with G35 arm in G37 with -0.5 caster was about +1.3deg adjustment maybe a little more. Again, official alignments pending.
Crap. That's not even enough adjustment for prokits which people are getting -2.0 in the fronts.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:34 AM
HamstersG

Not sure how you figure that.

Per the information I posted in #105, if you are at -2.0 on Eibach Prokits then you can get to about -0.7 [-2.0 + 1.3 = -0.7]. Spec front camber is a range of -1.17 min, -0.42 nominal, +0.33 max.

Now I am on Eibach Prokit and was able to set them at about the nominal camber setting since I was at -1.7 and -1.3 on the front L&R before the arms. So I was able to get both fronts to about -0.4.

Hope that helps clarify.

Personally, I think the G35 arm works great with the Eibach Prokits and is a completely acceptable solution.

And I don't care who designs the arms, sooner or later you are going to have to run bumpstops on way low coilovers as there is only so much room before the fender is the limiting factor.

Crap. That's not even enough adjustment for prokits which people are getting -2.0 in the fronts.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:15 PM
JLai

Per the information I posted in #105, if you are at -2.0 on Eibach Prokits then you can get to about -0.7 [-2.0 + 1.3 = -0.7]. Spec front camber is a range of -1.17 min, -0.42 nominal, +0.33 max.

Now I am on Eibach Prokit and was able to set them at about the nominal camber setting since I was at -1.7 and -1.3 on the front L&R before the arms. So I was able to get both fronts to about -0.4.

Hope that helps clarify.

Personally, I think the G35 arm works great with the Eibach Prokits and is a completely acceptable solution.

And I don't care who designs the arms, sooner or later you are going to have to run bumpstops on way low coilovers as there is only so much room before the fender is the limiting factor.
That helps clarify it. Thanks! Do you have an alignment sheet printout?

Last edited by JLai; 04-19-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:28 PM
TimsG37s

Hope that helps clarify.

Hey Hamster? I just had my Eibach's and SPC rear camber kit installed the other day and I had the front SPC ordered too but cancelled it after reading all of this a couple weeks ago. I still want the SPC front but only after it is fixed. You think the G35 arm is an acceptable solution? Have you had it hit medal at all since you installed them? If it works right and never hits the fender then I will just order the G35 arm. Thanks for the help on this.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:32 PM
HamstersG

I do, but not with the new arms installed. I think Finagle69 will get it done before me just due to our personal schedules.

That helps clarify it. Thanks! Do you have an alignment sheet printout?

Quick Reply: Help SPC Front Camber Kit Rattle