Stillen Sway and ES Bushing Install and Surprise

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:59 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stillen Sway and ES Bushing Install and Surprise

No this is not yet another DIY on installing sway bars. There are several real good ones including one by Black Betty. I just wanted to share and offer a few things that may be new to someone.

So here is where I got one sway off. Like my Home Depot ramps? They only give 4 5/8" clearance. They were good enough with Eibach Pro-Kit, but may add a couple of more boards.

On some other Stillen sway threads there was some issues with length of the sway bar. Stillen posted that they shipped the wrong ones to some customers so I wanted to check before mounting up. Here is the comparison. Only a couple of mm and obviously no problem.

Things take me longer than most poeple I am sure......because I am just naturally curious. So if anyone every wondered how a greaseable bushing is cut to allow the grease to get in......

Another shot of the ES bushings and the ES lubricant which comes with 3 little tubes which is more than enough for all 4 bushings (F&R).

On another thread, the OP mentioned problems with getting the ES bushings on. I never could figure out what he meant. They come split for easy assembly onto the bar and if you have the right size, they mount up with no problem. Here is pic of bushing where it splits.

All lubed up....used too much on the first one, but it just squeezes out. Should be no squeaks on this one.....

One on and what is that in the green circle....surprise....I also put on the GTSPEC Front Subframe Tie Braces. Now that was a tight fit under the car.

No angle problems. The hardest part of the install was getting a wrench and a torgue wrench on here in a manor that I could torque it. A couple more inches of lift would have made it a lot easier.

If you want to use ES greasable bushings on the Stillen Sways, you need a 27mm for the front (part # 9.5162) and a 25mm for the rear (part# 9.5161). The lubricant is #9.11110.

No long drive yet. Just in the neighborhood. Neighbors probably thought I was crazy the way I was cutting left and right.

Hope that helps someone....

Part 2 - The rear install is in post #32.

Last edited by HamstersG; 02-15-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Skyline-LEXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice write up
Old 02-09-2009, 01:41 AM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
cool
Old 02-09-2009, 01:48 AM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

nice write up dude...whats the price on them es bushings??
Old 02-09-2009, 05:48 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
That is some great information. Thanks for posting all that and taking the time to get some really good pictures.

Those greaseable swaybar bushings are nice (I have them on one of my other cars) I just wish they would let you pick the spot to drill the hole for the zerk fitting. It seems like the zerk always manages to be the lowest thing sticking out underneath the car (and all by itself too).

I like red swaybars.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

So, I was running out the door this morning before I got to say everything. Are those bushings poly? I'm 99% sure they are but that brings up a whole new factor in how those sway bars are going to act. I'm just now realizing that the Hotchkis bars come with greaseable bushings and I bet they are poly as well. The reason I'm saying this out loud is, some times you can severly increase your stock sway bar effectiveness just by replacing the stock rubber bushing with a nice set of polyurethane bushing from some place like Energy Suspensions. The fact that the bar is stronger and now the mounts are also stronger might make for a pretty stiff ride (good for some people but not all).

Another thing, if I remember right the black bushings from Energy Suspensions have graphite some how built into them which helps minimze the noise as well. This is not the case with their red bushings.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Hotchkis does use poly greasable bushings. In fact, they may indeed be the exact same bushings as the ES ones shown here. And you are correct in that it makes a huge difference, but more so on an older car where the stock bushings are worn where the difference can be felt the most.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Hotchkis does use poly greasable bushings. In fact, they may indeed be the exact same bushings as the ES ones shown here. And you are correct in that it makes a huge difference, but more so on an older car where the stock bushings are worn where the difference can be felt the most.
True, the older the stock bushing are the more the difference will be. But even new rubber bushing give a lot. I was just reading your Hotchkis install thread and verified the poly bushings from your pictures (at the time you were posting here probably). Oh yeah, I wasn't viewing that thread on here by the way. I get nothing but red x's for pictures here at work. I was viewing it in my email! That's right, I cut your thread and copied it to an email and sent it to myself at work (a while ago). That's what a great thread you made (don't get too big a head).
Old 02-09-2009, 01:49 PM
HamstersG

I tried a couple of local parts stores, but could not find. Bought them from here. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/. They are not affiliated with Energy Suspension, but you can not buy direct from ES.

$17 per set. So $34 for car. Lube $3.50.

Originally Posted by NJlakeshoreG
nice write up dude...whats the price on them es bushings??
Old 02-09-2009, 01:53 PM
HamstersG

I would have to look to be 100% sure, but think the bushing is covered by the plastic pan. Either way I think if you hit the zerk fitting, then you would have bigger issues than just the bushing.

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
That is some great information. Thanks for posting all that and taking the time to get some really good pictures.

Those greaseable swaybar bushings are nice (I have them on one of my other cars) I just wish they would let you pick the spot to drill the hole for the zerk fitting. It seems like the zerk always manages to be the lowest thing sticking out underneath the car (and all by itself too).

I like red swaybars.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:00 PM
HamstersG

Yes they are poly and yes you are right about the red and black. I was going to order red, until I read about the difference.
What is the difference between the Red and Black Bushings?
Quote From Energy Suspension's Official Website:
"Both are our Energy's HYPER-FLEXperformance polyurethane formulations. Energy has impregnated selected black polyurethane components with graphite–to add a lubrication property. Additionally, both Energy Suspension ® red and black polyurethane components are engineered differently than OEM rubber components–to be free a floating and non-binding design. This allows for the additional durometer (firmness) of the components, which adds to the performance improvement of the vehicle overall. Through its 25 years of design and formulation of polyurethane, Energy's polyurethane components are the best on the market today."
So, I was running out the door this morning before I got to say everything. Are those bushings poly? I'm 99% sure they are but that brings up a whole new factor in how those sway bars are going to act. I'm just now realizing that the Hotchkis bars come with greaseable bushings and I bet they are poly as well. The reason I'm saying this out loud is, some times you can severly increase your stock sway bar effectiveness just by replacing the stock rubber bushing with a nice set of polyurethane bushing from some place like Energy Suspensions. The fact that the bar is stronger and now the mounts are also stronger might make for a pretty stiff ride (good for some people but not all).

Another thing, if I remember right the black bushings from Energy Suspensions have graphite some how built into them which helps minimze the noise as well. This is not the case with their red bushings.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:37 PM
IP37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

I'll bitch at Stillen some more about my front sway bar now. I've still yet to get a response from anyone there
Old 02-09-2009, 05:28 PM
w0ady

nice info and pics. i just stuck with oem bushings and no lube. no problems here.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Originally Posted by w0ady
nice info and pics. i just stuck with oem bushings and no lube. no problems here.
You're on stock, oem, rubber, soft, dirty bushings still? Ewww.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:53 PM
w0ady

You're on stock, oem, rubber, soft, dirty bushings still? Ewww.
cause 99% of the time, no one on here will be able to tell the difference.

Quick Reply: Stillen Sway and ES Bushing Install and Surprise