Attention All BC Racing Coilover Guys, Check your Rears--Possible Install Error...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:00 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
they're showing for me.

thanks for this. it'll definitely help out tonight!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:14 PM
jtree007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete@BC
As everyones been waiting for. Look it over carefully. I need some help with you guys on the front bolt sizes. I posted what I can remember on the sizes. Help me out if this nut sizes are wrong. I'll make the necessary changes. The pictures should be helpful. On my next post I'll explain how to preload the front springs if anyone tampered with the preload already. Also, springs settle and can become a bit loose. So if your getting any noise in the front. It's a good idea to go over it and make sure preload is up to par.

Thanks again for everyones patience, time for lunch

http://www.bcracing-na.com/G37install.htm
The Lower strut nut is a 19mm I am pretty sure... If it would help I can check over all the bolts and nuts and make up a list of their sizes.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:23 PM
1BADV6

I messed with my front uppers on the spring but only on 1 side, so I'll wait for the instructions on the preload to make sure I get it back to perfect. I didn't mess with the other side for measurement purposes.

EDIT: Thanks Pete for the writeup, looks like I'm good except for screwing with the preload. Thanks for getting this out, I feel mucho better now. As long as my rattle stays away after my last tear down I'm good.

Last edited by 1BADV6; 06-06-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Pete@BC

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, pics will take a bit to load. I was like wtf, went back made changes. Came back and before I loaded up the changes the pics were up lol. I think my hunger was getting to my patience. Hope this helps with everyones questions and installs.

For the preload. If at all you feel you need to redo the preload on the fronts. Jack the car up and remove the wheels. The 2 upper gold rings. Scroll those down until the spring looses all tension. Take the first ring (top to bottom) and raise it until it pushes the spring back up to the top. The spring should not be able to move up or down. It will always be able to rotate. You do not want to put tension on the spring yet. Take the second ring and raise it to the 1st. Don't tighten them against each other. Your going to be using the second ring as a marker for measurement. Holding the second ring in place, use the spanner wrench to start rotating the 1st. As you rotate the 1st ring you will be putting tension on the spring creating a preload. Also as your rotate the 1st ring, it will start creating a gap between the stationary 2nd ring. Once this gap reaches 1/4inches roughly 5mm. You will stop preloading and take the 2nd ring up to the 1st and tighten up against each other. This will creat the preload neccessary. Follow the same instructions on the other side. If you have any questions feel free to ask or call us. 321 206 6381
Old 06-06-2008, 04:27 PM
1BADV6

Oh that's easy. Looks like I'll be free and clear and will report back on my rattle update tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:22 PM
finagle69

Just to clarify, If I did not mess with the upper two collars, I am ok?

Yeah, pics will take a bit to load. I was like wtf, went back made changes. Came back and before I loaded up the changes the pics were up lol. I think my hunger was getting to my patience. Hope this helps with everyones questions and installs.

For the preload. If at all you feel you need to redo the preload on the fronts. Jack the car up and remove the wheels. The 2 upper gold rings. Scroll those down until the spring looses all tension. Take the first ring (top to bottom) and raise it until it pushes the spring back up to the top. The spring should not be able to move up or down. It will always be able to rotate. You do not want to put tension on the spring yet. Take the second ring and raise it to the 1st. Don't tighten them against each other. Your going to be using the second ring as a marker for measurement. Holding the second ring in place, use the spanner wrench to start rotating the 1st. As you rotate the 1st ring you will be putting tension on the spring creating a preload. Also as your rotate the 1st ring, it will start creating a gap between the stationary 2nd ring. Once this gap reaches 1/4inches roughly 5mm. You will stop preloading and take the 2nd ring up to the 1st and tighten up against each other. This will creat the preload neccessary. Follow the same instructions on the other side. If you have any questions feel free to ask or call us. 321 206 6381
Old 06-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Pete@BC

Originally Posted by finagle69
Just to clarify, If I did not mess with the upper two collars, I am ok?
Yeah, you'll be fine. If you hear any noise in the front though. I would check preload as springs do settle and this would minimize the original preload.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:17 PM
iansw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is defined as a "a bit of load from the jack on the spring arm" for the rears?

I get that you unbolt the strut then jack up the spring assembly - but not sure how much to jack it up. <how much is "a bit"?>

I'm probably just not visualizing it well. I bet tomorrow AM when I take it apart I will figure it out.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Pete@BC

Originally Posted by iansw
What is defined as a "a bit of load from the jack on the spring arm" for the rears?

I get that you unbolt the strut then jack up the spring assembly - but not sure how much to jack it up. <how much is "a bit"?>

I'm probably just not visualizing it well. I bet tomorrow AM when I take it apart I will figure it out.
You want to load the spring assembly up until you can't reach in and jiggle the spring.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:42 PM
finagle69

This is mainly for a vendor or someone from BC (Pete or Danny). I've yet to hear a rattle, but do have an issue. I'll be adjusting the fronts to drop about a half inch. Please see below for my issue.

Fronts set at 4 3/8" from bottom of 2nd collar to top of bottom collar.

Front right fender measures
26 3/8"

Front left fender measures
26 7/16"

Rear springs set at 1 1/8" from bottom of lowest upper piece to top of 1st collar (threaded area)

Rear shocks set at 8 3/4" from top of cylinder to top of collar

Rear right fender measures
25 3/4" <- currently has a donut on.

Rear left fender measures
25 15/16"

issue with large dip. as the rear passes over a larg dip, a knock sound is heard. i don't know if it is on compression or decompression of shock. based on the above numbers - primarily the rears - do you see a reason for the knock? i.e. is it due to the shocks not being threaded up/down enough with the spring?

Last edited by finagle69; 06-07-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:58 PM
IP37

This is mainly for a vendor or someone from BC (Pete or Danny). I've yet to hear a rattle, but do have an issue. I'll be adjusting the fronts to drop about a half inch. Please see below for my issue.

26 3/8"

26 7/16"

Rear springs set at 1 1/8" from bottom of lowest upper piece to top of 1st collar (threaded area)

Rear shocks set at 8 3/8" from top of cylinder to top of collar

25 15/16"

issue with large dip. as the rear passes over a larg dip, a knock sound is heard. i don't know if it is on compression or decompression of shock. based on the above numbers - primarily the rears - do you see a reason for the knock? i.e. is it due to the shocks not being threaded up/down enough with the spring?
make sure all your bolts are good & tight. make sure not to forget to check the top 2 bolts on the shock

did you adjust anything on the rear?

i've never adjusted the rear springs. only adjusted the rear shocks, and i adjusted them to match the height of the oem shocks
Old 06-07-2008, 08:44 PM
finagle69

i honestly can't remember what the spring height was from the box. i know it's been adjusted now, and i shortened up the shock bigtime in order to make putting it in easier. after it was on, i re-lengthened it.

everything's tight as a virgin... i just took it for a drive to pepboys to buy a decent jack and went over the same large dip but no noise this time. maybe it was just the spring settling in.

I would like for the BC guys to look over my numbers and see if they're ok. i just don't want them to be like way off or something. it feels nice though. waaaaay more solid and planted in corners. i was able to get another buddy with a g37 to loan me a rear wheel last night instead of my donut.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:09 PM
iansw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You want to load the spring assembly up until you can't reach in and jiggle the spring.
Yep - just had to do it and it was easy to see what you meant.

Install is all done now - no suspension noise and she handles like a dream.

I only lowered 1" in front and rear for now - will do some more adjusting when it settles some.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:20 PM
caacosta
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

26 3/8"

26 7/16"

Rear shocks set at 8 3/8" from top of cylinder to top of collar

25 15/16"

thats the same problem i have. been having it for quite some time since the install. so far i've had 3 shops look at it with no resolution.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:00 AM
1BADV6

I dunno if you are talking about the "rattle" as we have described here, however the symptoms are the same. I dismantled my suspension on Friday and put it back together with no real changes and didn't hear the rattle anymore. So FYI on my update so far so good. I'll post back again tomorrow to update.

Quick Reply: Attention All BC Racing Coilover Guys, Check your Rears--Possible Install Error...