Attention All BC Racing Coilover Guys, Check your Rears--Possible Install Error...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Pete@BC

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Based off the installation guide that I'll post, I'd like those that are having the rattle verify first everything is installed properly. I personally feel the rattle has to be due to the rear spring assembly. I'll demonstrate in the guide how to keep it tight. Lets try the to eliminate the installation part first. I really believe the springs settled and the rattle is attributed to them being a bit loose. But, I'll need those with the problem to work with me on diagnosing. If I was there it would be much easier.

Working on the write up now.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:12 AM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete@BC
Based off the installation guide that I'll post, I'd like those that are having the rattle verify first everything is installed properly. I personally feel the rattle has to be due to the rear spring assembly. I'll demonstrate in the guide how to keep it tight. Lets try the to eliminate the installation part first. I really believe the springs settled and the rattle is attributed to them being a bit loose. But, I'll need those with the problem to work with me on diagnosing. If I was there it would be much easier.

Great, Pete. Thanks for your hard work. Can't wait to see it.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by finagle69
Great, Pete. Thanks for your hard work. Can't wait to see it.
+1... Customer Service at its best.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:25 PM
1BADV6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to work with you man, but you're not giving me anything to even look at. I much like Max have messed with adjusting the shocks/springs and can't get any change.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Black Guy

Originally Posted by 1BADV6
I'm trying to work with you man, but you're not giving me anything to even look at. I much like Max have messed with adjusting the shocks/springs and can't get any change.
He's trying to work with you as well. Relax and give him sometime to meet up with someone with the infamous "rattle" so he can track it down and figure out what it is. He's not sitting on his *** leaving you wondering, I promise. I went with him to tampa to fix Kidcanes issue. And I think im going to be heading with him somewhere else early next week to track down the dreaded rattle. As of now the write up should be posted up anytime. Rattle issue will hopefully be taken care of next week.

Thanks
BG@PF
Old 06-06-2008, 01:28 PM
1BADV6

UPDATE:

I tore everything down on my passenger side again, and just took it for a spin. For now, there is no rattle. The only problem is that because I unbolted everything and checked assembly, I don't know what or if I fixed the issue. It took a couple days for it to creep back up after first assembly, so I will wait and see.

BG: I've been posting info trying to help for a couple days and haven't really heard anything. I haven't driven my car in a week. You HAVE to understand that my patients have been wearing thin because of it. When I have something installed with no real instructions and then end up with a rattle followed by a day of wondering if my spring is upside down and haven't driven in a week waiting, I'm just empty on this situation. I'm not saying the guy hasn't been here every other day, it's just frustrating to go days without anything, you know?
Old 06-06-2008, 01:52 PM
1BADV6

Also since I was bored, I decided to drop the front down. To confirm since the boxed instructions stink, to lower the front do I just loosen the 2nd collar at the top and get it out of the way, then crank the top collar down to the height I want? This obviously dropped it down, but the boxed instructions SEEM to indicate spinning the entire assembly which I couldn't do. Basically they make it sound like you can spin it like you can the back shock. Can anyone confirm?
Old 06-06-2008, 02:03 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A little tangential, but... I think this is the best piece of advice in the instruction manual:

"To fix lock ring, screw and nut again regularly."

I think I can handle that!
Old 06-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Black Guy

UPDATE:

I tore everything down on my passenger side again, and just took it for a spin. For now, there is no rattle. The only problem is that because I unbolted everything and checked assembly, I don't know what or if I fixed the issue. It took a couple days for it to creep back up after first assembly, so I will wait and see.

BG: I've been posting info trying to help for a couple days and haven't really heard anything. I haven't driven my car in a week. You HAVE to understand that my patients have been wearing thin because of it. When I have something installed with no real instructions and then end up with a rattle followed by a day of wondering if my spring is upside down and haven't driven in a week waiting, I'm just empty on this situation. I'm not saying the guy hasn't been here every other day, it's just frustrating to go days without anything, you know?
I understand bud, I just dont want you guys thinking that Pete isnt doing anything about the situation, he is a hard working dude. But I understand where you're coming from. Your write up is almost done, and will explain most of everything. Pete will also explain the height adjustment to you.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:44 PM
IP37

Also since I was bored, I decided to drop the front down. To confirm since the boxed instructions stink, to lower the front do I just loosen the 2nd collar at the top and get it out of the way, then crank the top collar down to the height I want? This obviously dropped it down, but the boxed instructions SEEM to indicate spinning the entire assembly which I couldn't do. Basically they make it sound like you can spin it like you can the back shock. Can anyone confirm?
I unbolted the strut from the bottom and just spun the bottom mount up or down until I got it where I wanted it

you could try putting your jack under your suspension, lift the suspension up some to take the weight off of it, and see if you can spin the whole thing then like you were trying
Old 06-06-2008, 02:47 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Spin the shock... yup thats how Pete told me... the fronts are very easy to raise/lower... Just under the top collar and spin the shock... it will lower/raise the spring as it goes... I think lol
Old 06-06-2008, 03:30 PM
jtree007

The one thing that I think everyone needs to remember is that items like your suspension or brakes are very important to how the car functions... If you are unsure about how things should go on... might be over your head or at a minimum it is time to ask a friend for help... I put mine on with no problems at all... The install we pretty much identical to other brand coilovers that I have installed on other cars for my self and for friends. This includes many G35's, 350Z's and a TEIN Flex w/ EDFC on my personal 350z.

The G37 is extremely similar to the G35 and 350z... but there are differences.. one of them includes the 19 mm nut on the front that I posted a thread about... it is a PITA to get off... but even more important is getting that nut back on and torqued back to 120 ft/lbs.... If you have rattle and you did not use a torque wrench or even if you do not have a rattle... then you need to go get one and recheck every bolt and nut.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:38 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Please make your sig down to the proper size or you post will be deleted...
Old 06-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Pete@BC

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
As everyones been waiting for. Look it over carefully. I need some help with you guys on the front bolt sizes. I posted what I can remember on the sizes. Help me out if this nut sizes are wrong. I'll make the necessary changes. The pictures should be helpful. On my next post I'll explain how to preload the front springs if anyone tampered with the preload already. Also, springs settle and can become a bit loose. So if your getting any noise in the front. It's a good idea to go over it and make sure preload is up to par.

Thanks again for everyones patience, time for lunch

http://www.bcracing-na.com/G37install.htm
Old 06-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
As everyones been waiting for. Look it over carefully. I need some help with you guys on the front bolt sizes. I posted what I can remember on the sizes. Help me out if this nut sizes are wrong. I'll make the necessary changes. The pictures should be helpful. On my next post I'll explain how to preload the front springs if anyone tampered with the preload already. Also, springs settle and can become a bit loose. So if your getting any noise in the front. It's a good idea to go over it and make sure preload is up to par.

Thanks again for everyones patience, time for lunch

http://www.bcracing-na.com/G37install.htm
All the pics aren't showing, Pete. Only some of them.

EDIT: Working now... Thanks!

Last edited by Blackjack; 06-06-2008 at 04:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Attention All BC Racing Coilover Guys, Check your Rears--Possible Install Error...