Attention All BC Racing Coilover Guys, Check your Rears--Possible Install Error...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 01:41 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
is this the part you're talking about? if so... i didn't do that!! ... guess i know what i'm doing tonight after work.

EDIT: also, should we or should we not reuse the small, white, circular gasket from the OEM rear shocks top mount? I didn't, but thinking about it, it may help reduce metal on metal noises.

Once spring assembly is completed, you’ll need to measure shock distance. You will want a bit of load from the jack on the spring arm. This will raise the hub just a bit. Make sure the springs aren’t loose. Reach in and assure there is no play. Next step is to assure the shocks lower bracket is roughly 1/8-1/4 inch shorter.

Last edited by finagle69; 06-10-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:46 PM
IP37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
basically you want the shock short enough to be pulling up on the suspension a little if the car is jacked up so that the spring isn't loose..

jack your car up, see if the spring will move around

this assures that their is always some sort of tension on the spring

Last edited by IP37; 06-10-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Pete@BC

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IP37
basically you want the shock short enough to be pulling up on the suspension a little if the car is jacked up so that the spring isn't loose..

jack your car up, see if the spring will move around

this assures that their is always some sort of tension on the spring

Bingo! lol I think we may experiment with video installs also. Pictures and videos help alot. I've always been able to pick up things alot quicker seeing it done.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Pete@BC

Originally Posted by finagle69
is this the part you're talking about? if so... i didn't do that!! ... guess i know what i'm doing tonight after work.

EDIT: also, should we or should we not reuse the small, white, circular gasket from the OEM rear shocks top mount? I didn't, but thinking about it, it may help reduce metal on metal noises.
I don't recall seeing the gasket your talking about. It won't hurt to use, but I've never personally had any issues with metal to metal contact making noise as long as it's tight.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Pete@BC

Originally Posted by IP37
can you give us a measurement on the rear shock to compare to?

i adjusted mine to match the length of the oem shock when I installed

if i remember right, my measurement from the bottom of the top mount to the top of the bottom hole was 20 & 1/16" i could be wrong though

i've been without my car for the past 3 weeks though, I'll take a look at it again when I get it back

These measurements change on the shock depending on the height choosen for the vehicle. For the moment forget about all oem measurements. You want our shock to match our spring setup. Just for example, if you jacked your rear up by the diff and both wheels are off. The shock will be at full extension. If you reach in and grab the spring and it moves at all, you have no preload on it. You'll want to remove the lower bolt to the shock and raise the hub up enough to put a load on the springs. Using the shock to hold that load when fully extended. In the instructions, you'll see how the bolt hole to the lower shock shows the holes don't line up. The shock is higher than the hub. Let me know if this helps everyone.

As for this being done on a lift at a professional shop. It is much harder to do on a lift than on the ground. Atleast this preload technique. We've utilized the lift, but will have a bar stool or something to bring the car down on to create the preload and lock in place. Believe me though, on the ground is the easiest way with a jack.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:32 AM
finagle69

Pete, I did exactly as you instructed here and in your writeup. the ride is definitely better than it was, but the rattle is MORE pronounced. only at low speeds though. this rattle, or knocking is nowhere to be found above about 25MPH, but below that, on most medium surface imperfections, will have this noise.

EDIT: just thought i'd also say that all nuts and bolts are torqued up and tight as well as all collars are tight.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:58 AM
IP37

have you tried having someone else drive the car while you walk next to it? may give you some sort of an idea

you could try jacking your car up and then lifting up/down on your wheels.. might be enough to make the sound, might not
Old 06-11-2008, 10:06 AM
mdracer76

some pertinent images from my install:

Name:  IMG_3510.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  52.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3508.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3535.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  65.9 KB

hope these help!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:33 PM
1BADV6

Another update on my rear rattle:

As I mentioned on Saturday I broke my rear suspension down and reassembled, basically to be sure I had everything tight and together correctly from my installer. Since then, I have not had a single rattle out of my rear suspension. I did NOT height adjust anything in the rear, just broke down and reassembled.

In the front I spun it down a few and dropped about another inch, and wow is it low. I need to bring it back up about half an inch. Current ground to front fender measurement is 26.5 inches.

I'd also advise everyone (as Pete mentioned) to go ahead and preload the springs again as I noticed it made a big difference on my car as far as "bouncy" feeling in the front end. I'll do the same on the back this weekend.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:33 PM
finagle69

Originally Posted by 1BADV6
I'd also advise everyone (as Pete mentioned) to go ahead and preload the springs again as I noticed it made a big difference on my car as far as "bouncy" feeling in the front end. I'll do the same on the back this weekend.
I'll say the same thing here.

I just finished preloading from the factory setting. I used 1/4" as my preload measurement as instructed by Pete@BC, and afterwards the car dropped 3/4" That tells you how much the springs were preloaded when they got to me.

Now, the ground to fender clearance in the front is 25.5" and the rear is 26.5". It looks pretty mean and raked, but I need to bring the front up to 26.25" for it to look right.

Now, if I could only fit my jack under the car...
Old 06-16-2008, 12:49 AM
ppc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by finagle69

Now, if I could only fit my jack under the car...
Just drive up on some short pieces of 2"x4" 2"x6" etc.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:32 PM
finagle69

any update from the BC camp (Pete) on the rattles?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Xander

Dammit I did a full uninstall and reinstall today and the rattle is quieter but it still rattles
Old 06-17-2008, 01:23 AM
Wezbian
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have done a full uninstall and reinstall and thought I took care of the rattle. But it has come back and is freaking annoying. Is there no new information on where the rattle is coming from or cause by?????
Old 06-17-2008, 07:58 AM
IP37

finally got my car back, and i did notice a few sounds when driving slow over uneven ground, like grass

i'll try to mess with it this week

Quick Reply: Attention All BC Racing Coilover Guys, Check your Rears--Possible Install Error...