Attention All BC Racing Coilover Guys, Check your Rears--Possible Install Error...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 02:30 AM
Wezbian
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also installed the same day as finagale and I have the rattle noise when going over bumpy road. It sounds as if the shock is rattling rather than the spring. I dont know much about the inside of the shock, but i expect it has some sort of bump stop. So tomorrow I will lengthen the shock so that at full extension it is not reaching the internal stops.

I hear rattling noises like an old shock on an old car within the cabin coming from the rear, this works when I have passangers and without. I tired the dampining at 8 from hard to all the way soft. Now the extender is jammed and I cannot turn it!

I will write back if adjusting the shock independent of the spring works tomorrow...
Old 06-08-2008, 08:42 AM
IP37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wish someone in the atlanta area has this rattle, i'd like to check it out
Old 06-08-2008, 09:47 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can check mine out this coming weekend or next if Sharif dont fix it... ill be in ATL at forged...

I raised my fronts yesturday for my AutoX today.... i measure before from the fender and the fronts were 25 5/8s and 25 7/8s .... WTF was I doing driving it that low... STUPIDDDD....lol

Raised it up at least a 1/2 an inch and its MUCH BETTER...

I wanna mess with the rears but id like to wait on Pete to see what he can figure out....
Old 06-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Wezbian
Registered Member

Ok, so I messed with my rear today by inceasing the spring height a couple of 8ths of an inch from before and also raising my rear strut up. I found that the collar on the strut WAS NOT tight, i could undo it by hand! So now all collars on the rear are tight as well as the 2 nuts on the top of the strut. With the small change in incrasing the length of the strut, I hear like 80% less rattle than before. I will leave the spring alone now and raise the strut some more and see if i can hear it.

Now only when i am at slow speeds do i hear the rattle in the rear. It rattles more when i go over rough roads at a slow speed, and not at all on rough road on the freeway.

I had to cut a hole to access the strut tower by finger in the rear right of the car, it's about the size of a small apple... but now i can actually adjust it!

Anyway i hope to eliminate the sound by raising the strut a little higher. Anyone else try this?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:35 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

wait a second.... you cut a apple size hole where???????
Old 06-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Wezbian
Registered Member

I cut where the extender comes out as it kept getting jammed. Its not as big as an apple, but big enought to stick in my two fore fingers and twist the top. The carpet hides it all...
Old 06-09-2008, 11:24 AM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, so my right rear does NOT rattle...

but my left rear DOES rattle...

but only at very low speeds. 15MPH or less. usually when going over uneven manholes or surface irregularities. I'll take that wheel off and re-check the tightness of everything i guess..
Old 06-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Black Guy

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
You can check mine out this coming weekend or next if Sharif dont fix it... ill be in ATL at forged...

I raised my fronts yesturday for my AutoX today.... i measure before from the fender and the fronts were 25 5/8s and 25 7/8s .... WTF was I doing driving it that low... STUPIDDDD....lol

Raised it up at least a 1/2 an inch and its MUCH BETTER...

I wanna mess with the rears but id like to wait on Pete to see what he can figure out....
The rattle issue is an unknown thing happening to very few people. We cant source a problem that hasn't happened to any vehicles we've dealt with. I'd suggest following the right up step by step and re-doing the rears just to be safe. Im not doubting sharif or anything, but instead of spending money driving xxx amount of miles, just take a quick crack at it, lossen then re tighten the nuts and bolts.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:51 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Pete said he was workin on it... so ill wait on him like I said....

And i have tightend and retightend Everything like 4 times... FTL
Old 06-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Pete@BC

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Pete said he was workin on it... so ill wait on him like I said....

And i have tightend and retightend Everything like 4 times... FTL
Max, did you have this noise since the 1st day? If not, i'd say it's attributed to the springs settling and I would suggest to go back to the rear spring and shock assembly and try the install write up to assure it hasn't settled to much and is loose.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:37 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

noise since day one... yes...
Old 06-10-2008, 12:57 AM
Pete@BC

noise since day one... yes...
Max, check your Pm.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:18 AM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My rattle's getting worse over here. Anyone think it could have something to do with the rubber sock? When I look at mine, sometimes the sock is pushed so far onto the cylinder that it covers the two air holes, which doesn't allow the sock to compress and decompress easily.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Pete@BC

I really need to know if the instructions are being read carefully. Rattles come 99% of the time when springs are not preloaded. It is harder to do on the indepent rear setup as on the g's and z's. But the instructions will show how it is done. When you place the jack under the spring arm and or the hub, it will put a preload on the spring. The shock needs to be adjusted to where full extension of the shock reaches the lower mount bolt. Once bolted the shock would hold the springs preload. If this is not done properly. The rear end when hitting a dip and rebounds to full extension, the springs would be loose and rattle. I've seen one post specific that seems this to be the issue. I'll look for it and use it as reference. I'd like to meet with maxg37 and the other customer close to him. I'm hoping that it is a simple fix, but I'd be dissappointed to go traveling to another state and find that the instructions would have fixed the issue.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:30 PM
IP37

Originally Posted by Pete@BC
I really need to know if the instructions are being read carefully. Rattles come 99% of the time when springs are not preloaded. It is harder to do on the indepent rear setup as on the g's and z's. But the instructions will show how it is done. When you place the jack under the spring arm and or the hub, it will put a preload on the spring. The shock needs to be adjusted to where full extension of the shock reaches the lower mount bolt. Once bolted the shock would hold the springs preload. If this is not done properly. The rear end when hitting a dip and rebounds to full extension, the springs would be loose and rattle. I've seen one post specific that seems this to be the issue. I'll look for it and use it as reference. I'd like to meet with maxg37 and the other customer close to him. I'm hoping that it is a simple fix, but I'd be dissappointed to go traveling to another state and find that the instructions would have fixed the issue.

can you give us a measurement on the rear shock to compare to?

i adjusted mine to match the length of the oem shock when I installed

if i remember right, my measurement from the bottom of the top mount to the top of the bottom hole was 20 & 1/16" i could be wrong though

i've been without my car for the past 3 weeks though, I'll take a look at it again when I get it back

Quick Reply: Attention All BC Racing Coilover Guys, Check your Rears--Possible Install Error...