Are you happy with choosing Tanabe springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:38 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidcane
Im not feeling the Tanubes. I cant event tell they are on from the pics. Maybe if the stiffen the ride a bit but does not seem worth it otherwise.

You are kinda correct. Coils will have a very long life cause the strut is designed for the different coil settings and travel distance. Normally if you changed the springs you would want to change the strut as well so they work properly together. Basically coilovers arer a spring/strut combo already matched.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:43 PM
mako159

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your definitly right, changing the strut/shocks with springs is what your supposed to do.. Do any of you know of a aftermarket strut/shock that is available for the G37? I haven't found one yet... But that still doesn't correct the camber issue with the front, when going with a bigger drop.. The rear kits are out, but nothing on the front.. IDK, to me it goes back to spending 200 for springs, 200 rear camber kit, 6-700??? for front upper control arm camber kit, give or take, 300-400 for shocks when they come out; just to have the car a 1/2 inch lower, doesn't seem worth it.. What do you guys think?? I know the BC coilovers are running for $999 for group buy still i think, but that still 800 more then what i spent to have the car a lil lower.. Don't get me wrong, i had the H&R's on my car for a week and a half, and it was soo freakin good lookin, but logically for a daily driver in Baltimore, these road will eat my oil pan if I kept them..
Old 04-09-2008, 12:29 AM
G35_Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mako: Thanks for all the details that really helps me. I personally have never wanted either of my G's lowered. I had 20's on my G35 with the stock height and it looked perfect to me. However, the G37's front end is a lot higher with 20's. So your logic makes perfect sense to me. I can handle getting an alignment if that is the only thing I'll need for the most part. Wow, that's awesome you were able to install yourself. I'll have to ask around the forum to see what place in Houston has a reputable installer.

When you get time, pls add a few more pics of the side profile. (for those of us who appreciate subtle HOTNESS!!) haha

One more question: If I happen to sell my G to Car Max in a few years, do I need to take the Tanabe springs off?? (since Car Max wants the car bone stock) Do you simply take the springs off and the car is back to normal?

Pls excuse my ignorance... I'm a Diva, not a mechanic. haha

Last edited by G35_Diva; 04-09-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:59 AM
gmlee86
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah all you have to do is swap them back to the stock springs and you should be good (granted that you haven't done any other mods)

Also, here's my thread with lots of pics https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension/177426-tanabe-nf210-installed-with-pics.html
Old 04-09-2008, 08:28 PM
G35_Diva

gmlee: That's good news. That for posting that thread again. I remember I had a question when I read it the first time. You mentioned your tires were wearing. Was that due to the springs or no alignment??

P.S. I moved to Houston from Bellflower. hehe I saw you mentioned my old city in one of your posts too. ;-) Born & raised in Cali.
The following users liked this post:
momog37 (01-14-2019)
Old 04-09-2008, 09:00 PM
gmlee86
Registered Member

That was due to the springs since I haven't had it aligned yet. I was gonna get it done at the dealership (under warranty) last friday, but ran out of time and the mechanics wanted to go home at 5 so they said to come back. Chances are though, most people won't be able to get it done under warranty, but my buddy at Santa Monica is hooking it up But I'm sure with an alignment, they'll bring it back to spec and the tires should wear normally, even though it isn't really that bad as is.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:55 PM
G35_Diva

Awwhh ok, that makes me feel better. So I will definitely have it aligned as soon as I get it done. Dang, I wish I had the same hook-up. hehe

Ok, I think I about 99% convinced.

Now I'll wait for my advisor Black Betty to tell me where I can get them installed in Houston. ;-)
Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 PM
G35_Diva

One more question...anybody.

Does it make a difference if you install the springs first or should you mount the new wheels first??

Thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 11:48 PM
gmlee86
Registered Member

Well.. in order to install the springs you need to take the wheels off, so if you're doing them the same day I'd say do the springs first
Old 04-10-2008, 07:21 AM
mako159

I put the springs in first then had it aligned, just to be safe they don't scratch the new wheels up.. I took it to the dealer to get mine aligned, they had no problem getting it on the rack and aligning it to spec.. When I had the H&R's on they couldn't even get the front tires on the rack without scaping the front-end, so they wouldn't do it..
Old 04-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Dieseldoug22

One note to think about. When I put on my 20's it had changed the chamber of the wheel. The rears had some negative chamber on them. But I have a big offset. So depending on the wheels you get you might want to get the thing aligned after the wheels and springs are on.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:49 PM
mako159

Putting wheels on really can't change the camber on the alignment.. Nothing changes the travel of the suspension. By this being said, nothing changing camber, caster, toe.. Unless the alignment might had been off before you put the wheels on.. Think about it.. Wheels just bolt to the rotor, nothing on the suspension is touched to change the height which could alter the alignment.. Does that make sense??
Old 04-10-2008, 02:27 PM
gmlee86
Registered Member

Hey Doug, how bout some pics of your drop? I'm sure it's had plenty of time to settle
Old 04-10-2008, 06:44 PM
ice350

I'm driving a Lexus these days but it has Tanabe springs and I do have an opinion about them.
I chose the Tanabe NF210 because of the advertized 1 inch drop and smooth ride. That's all I wanted. 1 inch with 20's would give me the ride I wanted.
A year later and the springs have dropped the car more than an inch. At first it was perfect for me. Now it's too low. I have rubbing during normal driving over uneven roads.
I didn't have that big of a settling issue with the Teins on the G35.
I was thinking of buying another set to get the height I initially got when new. Maybe just change out the one where it's too low.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:38 PM
G35_Diva

Mako: That make perfect sense even to me. hehe I would rather have everything done first to avoid any scratching of the wheels also.

Ice: Dang, you're scaring me! Hopefully, your situation is not the norm.

Quick Reply: Are you happy with choosing Tanabe springs