Body Interior Exterior Lighting

g37 sunroof drain fix, still not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 03:22 PM
paul429
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g37 sunroof drain fix, still not working

Replaced the g37 sunroof drain, replaced the grommet with a brand new one, but I cut off the baffle at the end to prevent further blockages. It is now leaking once again a couple of days later. The hell? I poured two bottles of water through the sunroof drain, and on the second it started leaking again.

Does the straw fix do anything for me? is it the ridiculous ****ing ****ty foam gasket on there that's failing??

Also I've heard of people rerouting the tube. If anyone could point me to any relevant how-to threads or videos, it would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2021, 05:17 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,069 Posts
1) Are you sure the leak is at the firewall grommet?
2) Did you check the main wiring harness grommet? As water exits the sunroof grommet, it literally pours in/around/near the wiring grommet. Easy entry for water to get in. You will have to remove the windshield cowl to access this junction.
3) Is your cabin filter wet? When you remove the cowl you can easily inspect the cabin filter. If it is wet, then the foam seal in the cowl is shot. Cowl Leak Details.

As for rerouting the sunroof drain, there really is no video or how-to DIY thread. It is just a matter of cutting and splicing in some ⅜" tubing from either the sunroof itself or along the A-pillar to the floor where it gets spliced to the ½" AC condenser drain in the floor. This thread may offer some insight.

I did the sunroof reroute as a preventive measure. My leak was from the cowl (I used a small bead of silicone caulking as a temporary fix) and the door weatherstripping.
The following 2 users liked this post by ILM-NC G37S:
BigSweatyJ (01-12-2024), Texas Boy (01-18-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 06:17 PM
paul429
Registered Member

for #2, so using the sunroof drain this would still have it leak in the passenger footwell? I think I did see it come from more of the top of the glovebox this time instead of directly on the back of footwell. Thank you for the information by the way.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:40 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Water exits the sunroof grommet at the firewall where it is allowed to "drip" to the ground any which way it wants. As you can see, the main wiring harness firewall grommet lies directly in the path of water flow. Water has been known to seep under that grommet and drip into the cabin. Some, like myself, have used silicone sealant to "cover" that area

If the cowl seal (that foam strip) is eroded, water can leak between the windshield and the cowl itself and drip onto the cabin air filter. Easy test: pull down the panel that is under the glovebox and check for water.

For the passenger side, those are the only 3 locations where water can enter the cabin.
The following 2 users liked this post by ILM-NC G37S:
Krzysztof47 (08-22-2023), Texas Boy (01-18-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 09:14 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
^^^ yea , check the foam strip as @ILM-NC G37S mentions, it was the culprit on my car, but in my case , i took it off at some point and never put it back, and a fairly workable and cheap solution on my post on where to buy, if it is indeed that..hope an easy fix, as i know that $hit is irritating once it starts..not like everything else isn't, but something about the car taking on water just pissed me off lol...good luck
Old 01-18-2021, 06:58 PM
Texas Boy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
1) Are you sure the leak is at the firewall grommet?
2) Did you check the main wiring harness grommet? As water exits the sunroof grommet, it literally pours in/around/near the wiring grommet. Easy entry for water to get in. You will have to remove the windshield cowl to access this junction.
3) Is your cabin filter wet? When you remove the cowl you can easily inspect the cabin filter. If it is wet, then the foam seal in the cowl is shot. Cowl Leak Details.

As for rerouting the sunroof drain, there really is no video or how-to DIY thread. It is just a matter of cutting and splicing in some ⅜" tubing from either the sunroof itself or along the A-pillar to the floor where it gets spliced to the ½" AC condenser drain in the floor. This thread may offer some insight.

I did the sunroof reroute as a preventive measure. My leak was from the cowl (I used a small bead of silicone caulking as a temporary fix) and the door weatherstripping.
ILM-NC G37S Can you give us a couple pics of arrows pointing to where the silicone goes? Or where the rubber seal should be? My car I don't think has any of the original stuff. Thanks a lot!
Old 01-18-2021, 07:34 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

This thread explains the issue thoroughly. Keep in mind that my solution, while not ideal, was intended as a "emergency" fix. As it solved my leaks I'm inclined to leave it be.

When you remove the passenger-side cowl, there should a gray foam strip. Mine was completely disintegrated. I cleaned out that channel (that slides onto the edge of the windshield), ran a small bead of silicone, and reinstalled onto the windshield:

Pic #2 shows the deteriorating "seal."
I've not had any further leaks since.

Downside to this fix is that it will be more difficult to remove the cowl in the future. That, and the old silicone will have to be cleaned out before reinstalling the cowl. I can live with that if it means no more leaks for the here and now. I spent enough on the damn door seals...

Hope this helps...

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 01-19-2021 at 09:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Texas Boy (01-30-2021)
Old 08-01-2023, 05:02 PM
BigSweatyJ
Registered Member

Thanks for your posts! I have a 2010 g37x with a bad leak on the passenger side after heavy rainfall. Rerouting the sunroof drain to the AC drain didn't fix the issue. I pulled off the cowl and the cabin air filter seems dry, so I figure water must be coming through the main wiring harness firewall grommet (which I assume is the area surrounded by blue in your picture). So you think my next option is to apply a hefty amount of silicone sealant to that area?

Your advice is much appreciated; this community has been so helpful with this issue.
Old 08-01-2023, 05:16 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

I would apply a good amount of marine grade silicone around/ under those grommets no matter what the source of the leak. It is a cheap insurance policy against future leaks, IMO.

Is your "X" a Coupe or sedan? If it is a Coupe, keep in mind the door seals can also allow water to leak in (see this thread).

Best advice is to let a garden hose slowly drip onto the car and try to pinpoint where the water is coming in.
Old 08-01-2023, 05:33 PM
BigSweatyJ
Registered Member

I would apply a good amount of marine grade silicone around/ under those grommets no matter what the source of the leak. It is a cheap insurance policy against future leaks, IMO.

Is your "X" a Coupe or sedan? If it is a Coupe, keep in mind the door seals can also allow water to leak in (see this thread).

Best advice is to let a garden hose slowly drip onto the car and try to pinpoint where the water is coming in.
Much appreciated. I will do this asap. Its a coupe. The problem definitely seems to be coming from behind the passenger glove box as water collects on the panel underneath it. It's becoming apparent that I'm going to have to keep an eye out for leaks all over this beautiful girl.

thanks again. I will let you guys know how it goes.
Old 08-01-2023, 05:51 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

I would still remove the cabin air filter and ensure it is dry and that there is no standing water in the blower assembly. Just to be on the safe side.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:15 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
crystal kitty litter in a lingerie bag will help dry things out (dessicant). I'd HIGHLY recommend you reroute the drain into the AC drain line if it is indeed the sunroof drain that is leaking.
Old 01-12-2024, 04:54 PM
BigSweatyJ
Registered Member

Problem Fixed :)

Hey guys.

I was having bad problems with leaking from behind the glove box when I purchased my 2010 G37x last summer. After a bad rain, huge amounts of water would build up behind the glovebox, and the passenger floor was beyond soaking wet.

I first tried bypassing the sunroof drain to have it meet up with the AC drain by following this Youtube video: https://www.google.com/search?q=bypa...HZ928t5YE,st:0. Overall, this job wasn't too hard, and you should be able to do it without too much of a headache. The only issue I had compared to this video, is that the AC hose and the sunroof hose are not the same size in the 2010 model, so I had to jimmy a few pieces together in order to create a T splicer that joined different sized hoses. Unfortunately, this didn't seem to fix the problem (or only partially fixed it), as the floor was still wet after a bad rain. The floor did seem to be less wet, however, and the moisture seemed to be more concentrated on one half of the passenger side, so I suspect this was contributing to, but not the only source of leaking water.

Next, I took the advice of ILM-NC G37S (see quotes below) and it completely fixed the problem! I got some silicone sealant, and followed the pictures below to find any spots where water could be leaking in, and I gave them all a good dose of sealant. I also pulled off the cowl that attaches to the windshield, cleaned it, added a bead of silicone, and stuck it back on. I haven't seen a drop of water since. My only concern is that the cowl needs to come off to change the battery, so the silcone might be a little messy, but better that then water leaking all over the sensitive electronics of my car.

Thank you so much to ILM-NC G37S for providing me with such detailed information that helped fix my problem. This community is awesome!

I hope this info helps somebody else who has the same problem

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S;4288801 [img
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg37.com-vbulletin/1440x1604/20210116_183434_3a63eda37a49ca551b689e11d72bf8ba23 78bd32.jpg

Water exits the sunroof grommet at the firewall where it is allowed to "drip" to the ground any which way it wants. As you can see, the main wiring harness firewall grommet lies directly in the path of water flow. Water has been known to seep under that grommet and drip into the cabin. Some, like myself, have used silicone sealant to "cover" that area

If the cowl seal (that foam strip) is eroded, water can leak between the windshield and the cowl itself and drip onto the cabin air filter. Easy test: pull down the panel that is under the glovebox and check for water.

For the passenger side, those are the only 3 locations where water can enter the cabin.
This thread explains the issue thoroughly. Keep in mind that my solution, while not ideal, was intended as a "emergency" fix. As it solved my leaks I'm inclined to leave it be.

When you remove the passenger-side cowl, there should a gray foam strip. Mine was completely disintegrated. I cleaned out that channel (that slides onto the edge of the windshield), ran a small bead of silicone, and reinstalled onto the windshield:

Pic #2 shows the deteriorating "seal."
I've not had any further leaks since.

Downside to this fix is that it will be more difficult to remove the cowl in the future. That, and the old silicone will have to be cleaned out before reinstalling the cowl. I can live with that if it means no more leaks for the here and now. I spent enough on the damn door seals...

Hope this helps...
Old 02-27-2024, 01:11 PM
Roblom
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
For the ones that are interested, I designed an adapter to connect the sunroof drail hoses and airco condensation drain all to one drain piece.
This can be printed by a 3D printer, see here.

Last edited by Roblom; 04-13-2024 at 05:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Roblom:
rotarymike (03-01-2024), STownSaint (03-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 07:26 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Roblom
For the ones that are interested, I designed an adapter to connect the sunroof drail hoses and airco condensation drain all to one drain piece.
This can be printed by a 3D printer, see here.
Very cool! Would’ve absolutely bought one, if I didn’t already piece this together using some Tee connectors from Lowe’s.

Hope you remain committed to supporting the G community with your skills, because as these cars get older, we’ll invariably need homegrown fixes for Nissan’s engineering misfires…

Quick Reply: g37 sunroof drain fix, still not working