Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Help Replacing HID Bulbs and LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 03:26 PM
T.A.D
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Replacing HID Bulbs and LEDs

Hello all, mostly a lurker but I post every now and again. Looking for some advice here.
A while ago I replaced my parking/city lights and license plate lights with some cheapo LEDs from a local shop in Charlotte NC. They're starting to crap out on me so they need to be replaced, figured I'd replace my low-beams while I'm in there (I've had the car for five years now and they still work, just trying to replace them before they actually go out).

Here's what I'm considering for HID bulb replacement:

Diode Dynamics OEM Replacement= 5000K
Morimoto XB50= 4800k
OSRAM 66240= 4150K
PHILIPS 85122= 4300K

For LEDs:

I'm not sure... I just need them to match as close as possible to the headlights. From what I see Morimoto and Diode Dynamics are the only ones that offer options that will allow me to get close.

I'm looking for suggestions. I want to know reliability, light output, build quality, etc.
Are the Osrams and Philips worth the premium? I've taken a very OEM+ direction to modding my car, but I'm also a tightwad history teacher in Charlotte NC so $150 isn't cheap to me. But I am also not opposed to paying extra for something that is noticeably and objectively a far superior product to reduce replacement cycles.

I want to know what is the best VALUE product here. Any help is appreciated.
BTW its a 2010 coupe S... not that it really matters. Wanna order these soon before sales dry out.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:30 PM
axis.
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
From what I've read, don't put LEDs in your HID projectors if you're looking to maximize functionality/brightness. For HIDs, Osram Nightbreaker Laser or Phillips XtremeVision 2 are some the best bulbs out there for brightness but they are pricey. I ordered some Amazon "OSRAM" CBBs that people have warned for being fake since they're like 50% of the price but I'll find out soon I guess. There are a lot of positive reviews and people have told me they're very happy with them so we'll see...

From personal experience: for license plate / dome lights etc, I've been using eBay China LEDs for 5 years now with no flickering or any problems. They're not super bright and they give off a hint of blue, but for $10 I'm more than happy. I'm using iJDMToy's LED signal light for about 1.5 years now with no problems yet.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:22 PM
T.A.D
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I was never planning on going LED for my actual headlights, they only ever seem to work okay in reflective halogen housings.

I ended up going with Philips for my low beams and the Diode Dynamics for my city and license plate lights, and I'm thrilled with the final product. Gave me the OEM look I was going for, may post pictures later for anyone trying to go OEM+ or full resto-mod like myself so they can happen upon this thread later for reference.

I am VERY glad I went with Philips, changing the low beams in our cars is a PITA compared to others so spending more on a bulb that lasts longer IMO is worth it not to have to change them out every few months.