Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Water leaking in from somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 06:15 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Water leaking in from somewhere

So it’s been a few weeks since I tore the interior of my car apart. I took the seat out, a ton of panels and peeled the carpet back to have a look on the passenger side. Driver side is not affected. When I first peeled everything back, there was copious amounts of water pooled in the floor. It was under the foam inserts to keep the carpet level. I pulled them out and soaked all the water up with a towel, and have been looking for the source since.

Ive driven it in rainy days, had the AC cranked to try and get any condensation through it’s breather tube, poured water directly down the sunroof drains, sprayed the daylights out of all the doors and nothing. I can’t seem to find a place that would let so much water in. Hell, I can’t find a place that’s letting anything more than a drop in! I’d like to hear if anyone had any major water issues, what it was and how it was solved. Any insight would be very useful as well.

No electronics have been damaged, BCM appears to be working just fine, I haven’t noticed anything out of the ordinary.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:00 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
hey, sorry to hear and yeah, seems to happen to some and not others, but many threads on this, but here is a recent one with my issue and there is good info on options... i think mine was the sunroof drain, as it rained yesterday and so far all good, but after some further testing, i still saw water getting in behind the windshield on passenger side, near the vent for cabin filter and that was one area that had water initially, so i think some got in through there too...so after some research, i found a piece that goes over the windshield and cowl, so check your car and see if its there and do a test and see, its quick and can start your process.. here is the link to one of the many..good luck and post back on anything you find

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-location.html
Old 05-19-2020, 12:54 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
hey, sorry to hear and yeah, seems to happen to some and not others, but many threads on this, but here is a recent one with my issue and there is good info on options... i think mine was the sunroof drain, as it rained yesterday and so far all good, but after some further testing, i still saw water getting in behind the windshield on passenger side, near the vent for cabin filter and that was one area that had water initially, so i think some got in through there too...so after some research, i found a piece that goes over the windshield and cowl, so check your car and see if its there and do a test and see, its quick and can start your process.. here is the link to one of the many..good luck and post back on anything you find

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-location.html
A lot of great info here! Did you get your issues fully dealt with?

I’ll be checking my cowl and sunroof drain again to see what I can see. I’ll have a look at my cabin filter as well to see if it’s getting wet
Old 05-19-2020, 09:30 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

I think the sunroof issue is fixed but definetely need to do something on windshield , it may be an issue with major downpours only but I think the cowl strip may alleviate it, so expecting an email from a company regarding their product as it's not specifically for the G but may work at a major price diff than oem..dealer wants 138...so looking for option and they come in at 75 or so and if the email confirms it won't then I'll get the 75 option ...so will see
Old 05-20-2020, 07:03 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

Gotcha. I went back out yesterday to look at my cowl and I noticed that the wiring was getting pretty drenched when o dumped water on the windshield. I tried pealing the cowl back, but I used some tape to get it to stop running and making noise and pissing me off. Lol. It did not want to budge, I think the tape may have melted under extreme heat and just welded everything together. I’m going to see if I can remove it without leaving residue or ruining anything, but it’s going to be interesting.

on the subject of pulling the cowling off, my 18 month old battery just about didn’t start up after sitting (KOEO, AC off) for a bit. Going to be a PITA if I can’t get the cowl off if I need to replace kt
Old 05-21-2020, 01:39 PM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
I have the same problem on the drivers side. I'm not much of a mechanic so after draining the water twice I'm taking it to a local shop tomorrow. I figured I better fix it before it really damages something
Old 05-21-2020, 07:12 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BillyTheMan
I have the same problem on the drivers side. I'm not much of a mechanic so after draining the water twice I'm taking it to a local shop tomorrow. I figured I better fix it before it really damages something
hopefully they can sort it out. Chances are your sunroof drain let go and just needs a new tube or grommet or something. How much water was in yours?
Old 05-21-2020, 07:49 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Conboss
Gotcha. I went back out yesterday to look at my cowl and I noticed that the wiring was getting pretty drenched when o dumped water on the windshield. I tried pealing the cowl back, but I used some tape to get it to stop running and making noise and pissing me off. Lol. It did not want to budge, I think the tape may have melted under extreme heat and just welded everything together. I’m going to see if I can remove it without leaving residue or ruining anything, but it’s going to be interesting.

on the subject of pulling the cowling off, my 18 month old battery just about didn’t start up after sitting (KOEO, AC off) for a bit. Going to be a PITA if I can’t get the cowl off if I need to replace kt
Yeah, tape and heat don't work too well on glass etc...I've done my share lol...but hope you can get it to come off...I'm thinking that if and when u do the battery , then get an exacto type knife and slowly cleave between cowl and windshield , it will come off and then work on cleaning residue ...try felt tape , works better and shouldn't make a mess down the road ....
Old 05-21-2020, 07:54 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Try to see if it's the sunroof sonat least you will know.....get x amount of ounces of water , pop the sunroof open and slowly pour the water on the deivers corner ...if you put 5 oz then 5 should come out the bottom drain...I mean exactly 5...any variation and u know at least the source as the only possible out is the plug area....if you get the same amount poured then I may have a windshield area type leak as it can't be a line drain , it's on passenger....lastly , check door seals...saw a poster having water come in down the door via the weather seal etc...frustrating but at least u can try to narrow it down ...good luck man
The following users liked this post:
BillyTheMan (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 08:40 PM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

Both times I drained it i got close to a gallon. It was a lot. I didn't get every drop either. I might see if they can dry it out as well. One thing i realized is if the water gets too high there's electronics on the bottom of the seats for the power seat adjustment. Mine still works fine but it was probably pretty close to getting soggy
Old 05-21-2020, 09:40 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

Both times I drained it i got close to a gallon. It was a lot. I didn't get every drop either. I might see if they can dry it out as well. One thing i realized is if the water gets too high there's electronics on the bottom of the seats for the power seat adjustment. Mine still works fine but it was probably pretty close to getting soggy
Yikes! I don’t think I pulled a gallon out but at least a couple quarts. I ended up soaking it all up with towels and hung out with the doors open and a nice breeze to let it dry out. It wasn’t getting anywhere near the seat controls or anything like that. I believe you’d need at least a couple gallons to get to that point though
Old 05-22-2020, 11:47 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

wow, yeah, that is a decent amount of water, but if you have heavy rains, even a smallish leak will eventually add up- is this water when parked only, or driving or a combo of both?.. and about electronics,there are those components as well as others on passenger side too, so keep an eye out and hope you get it fixed or at least figure out where its coming from
Old 05-22-2020, 01:38 PM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

It was through driving and parking. We had a few days of really heavy rain. I put a tarp over it last night just to be safe.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:28 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

It was through driving and parking. We had a few days of really heavy rain. I put a tarp over it last night just to be safe.
good stuff. Hopefully you can get it sorted!

Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
and about electronics,there are those components as well as others on passenger side too, so keep an eye out and hope you get it fixed or at least figure out where its coming from
The main one you want to watch for is the BCM. If it gets wet you may be able to save it, or you could need a new one. In my case it wasn’t even close to the BCM so I’m happy. There is a junction there for some other wiring, but I’m not sure what it is.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:13 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

I think I’m about to pull the plug and put everything back together. Had a couple heavy rain days this week and the floor stayed bone dry. Ran the AC as hard as I could one day in 35C, a little condensation but that was it. I get the feeling the water I saw on the floor before was just there from over the years with nowhere else to go.

Starting something this week I’m putting it back together.