Pulling up driver’s seat carpet (Leak)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 04:19 PM
Infin88
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Pulling up driver’s seat carpet (Leak)

Sooo, I have a leak.

Im thinking it’s the same leak that a lot of owner’s have experienced, which is the sunroof drain leak. I went ahead and replaced the driver’s side plastic thingy and Im hoping that will be that.

now comes to the the water that may or may not be under the driver carpet

how does one go about pulling up the carpet to possibly soak up the water that might be there without taking out the seats?

is that possible? I haven’t seen a diy in my forum search results.

appreciate any guidance.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:35 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Hey , went through this , but on passenger side..did a bypass on that side, so will see how it all works out with next rain. on passenger side, just pulled on plastic panel that covers electronics, then pull on carpet..there are two screw/snap on type nuts and once removed, the carpet pulls...its sort of molded to contours, so you have to pull a little but it comes up..then you will see the gray padding and some parts are stuck with adhesive from factory, its a mild stick, just pull gently and it pulls a part..then you can see the bare floorboard and any foam inserts that can also be pulled up...hope your new plug fixed the issue..i thought on going this route, but on passenger side, there seems to be more electronics , so i think if the bypass if done correctly and sealed with silicone type barrier, then the possibility of recurring is basically eliminated...maybe overkill but hey...however, if it happens on driver side, then may just do the plug replacement...good luck
The following users liked this post:
Infin88 (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 01:41 PM
Infin88
Registered Member

Thanks for the write up. Good luck with yours too. Your fix should def work; mine...we’ll see.

Im gonna try to tackle this today.

thanks again
Old 05-14-2020, 04:45 PM
Infin88
Registered Member

Okay so i pulled was able to pull up the carpet, based on your advice, and it worked. Additionally, my fix with a new oem plastic thingy...did not work as it’s still leaking.

so...this bypass that you’re referring to. Is it the one where you glue(use silicone) a straw or tubing to the plastic piece to extend the water flow? Or is it a bypass where you relocated the tubing?

thanks
Old 05-15-2020, 11:01 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Infin88
Okay so i pulled was able to pull up the carpet, based on your advice, and it worked. Additionally, my fix with a new oem plastic thingy...did not work as it’s still leaking.

so...this bypass that you’re referring to. Is it the one where you glue(use silicone) a straw or tubing to the plastic piece to extend the water flow? Or is it a bypass where you relocated the tubing?

thanks
Some posts said silicone in plug area solved their problem as the gasket may have been an issue...but I just didn't want to go through all that and maybe a possible leak again etc...so I decided to do the full bypass to AC drain ...didn't take a lot of pics but basically get 3/8 ID diamenter 1/2 OD ...check a home depot near you...it's clear and same size as the one running down ...use a connector , use silicone and zip ties and run it down to AC plug...install a t connector there as the hole won't be big enough for both tubes at least not on mine...I didn't take many pics but this is the connection from sunroof to drain if it helps in visualizing it...good luck and hope it solves it for you...also, test and then test and finally.....test again BEFORE putting all back lol

The following 2 users liked this post by G37sPhoton:
Infin88 (05-15-2020), MStrike (10-31-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 11:18 PM
Infin88
Registered Member

Dang, thanks for the info and the picture. Very helpful to know the diameters as well.

thanks man
Old 10-31-2020, 07:05 PM
MStrike
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dang, thanks for the info and the picture. Very helpful to know the diameters as well.

thanks man
Did your leak stop after doing this?
Old 10-31-2020, 11:16 PM
Infin88
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MStrike
Did your leak stop after doing this?

i did do this fix, but since it was on the driver’s side, i only used enough length of tubing to get it through the hole.

turns out it wasnt the roof drain that was the problem, but my door seals.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:47 PM
MStrike
Registered Member

i did do this fix, but since it was on the driver’s side, i only used enough length of tubing to get it through the hole.

turns out it wasnt the roof drain that was the problem, but my door seals.
Do you have a picture of where exactly you routed it on the driver's side? Also, how did you know that your door seals were the problem? Did you like sit in your car during heavy rain and water drops landed next to the side of the seat or something?
Old 11-01-2020, 09:42 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,072 Posts
Do you have a picture of where exactly you routed it on the driver's side? Also, how did you know that your door seals were the problem? Did you like sit in your car during heavy rain and water drops landed next to the side of the seat or something?
Just throwing my experience in here:
In my case, rain was dripping in above the mirror/tweeter joint, dripping down the interior door panel across both speaker grills, and ultimately puddling on the floor. Water was also running down, along the inner seal/welt, and spilling into the sill tunnel where the wiring harnesses run from front to rear. During a rain event, while stopped at a red light, I was watching the water trickle in... For me, passenger side was a lot worse than the driver side. YMMV

Also, as my car sits unused for weeks at a time, if you open the door and have any water drops/puddles ON THE DOOR SILL/SCUFF PLATES then likely your door seals are failing. My symptoms were identical to those in this post.
MStrike (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 09:56 AM
Infin88
Registered Member

i dont have a picture of where i routed it. I just chucked the grommet where the tube runs to and put the extended tube through the same hole. You could find vids of where the drain tube goes and what it looks like on youtube.

to figure out i had a leak at the door, I had someone hose down the door area at the openings. I also took the kick plates off and pulled the rug up slightly to watch the leak as they were hosing the car down.

If it’s the sunroof, you can pour water into the drain hole of the open sunroof which is in the upper corners towards the front.
MStrike (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 10:05 AM
MStrike
Registered Member

i dont have a picture of where i routed it. I just chucked the grommet where the tube runs to and put the extended tube through the same hole. You could find vids of where the drain tube goes and what it looks like on youtube.

to figure out i had a leak at the door, I had someone hose down the door area at the openings. I also took the kick plates off and pulled the rug up slightly to watch the leak as they were hosing the car down.

If it’s the sunroof, you can pour water into the drain hole of the open sunroof which is in the upper corners towards the front.
Oh so you just extended the hose past the initial firewall grommet? I thought you meant that you had extended it to the bottom of the car and drilled a hole at a certain place. Thanks anyways.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:13 AM
Infin88
Registered Member

Oh so you just extended the hose past the initial firewall grommet? I thought you meant that you had extended it to the bottom of the car and drilled a hole at a certain place. Thanks anyways.
yes, i just added somewhere like 3-5 inch of tubing and then put it through.

good luck