Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
That looks ****ing amazing!!!
Old 06-15-2020, 10:20 AM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
Update:

Only thing left on the dash is to play with the defroster vents. They are being stubborn. I’m going to forget about them and circle back later. Overall dash looks great.

Next is the headliner. I already wrapped this thing twice. I first used fake leather and didn’t like it (wasn’t a close enough match) then used a faux suede headliner material with foam backing (don’t like that either). I needed the foam from it anyways so it wasn’t a total waste. I ordered a bunch of samples of leather to try and a close match to what I’m already using (my leather doesn’t come in full size hides big enough for headliner). I found one that is a good match and ordered it. It’ll be here Wednesday or Thursday.

Ideally I can get the headliner wrapped Friday and install Saturday. Once headliner is in, I can put the B and C pillars back in, as well as the center console. These are all wrapped and ready to go.

After that, the car will be mostly back together. Next is to finish sound deadening the rear quarter panels and back seat area. If I bust my butt I should be able to knock that out through next week/weekend.

After that, all I’ll have left is the doors and painting the the trim pieces. The doors need sound deadening and I’m going to wrap the doors in leather too.

I still need to figure out the front seatbelt trim situation. I really was hoping I would be able to find some front gtr seatbelts for cheap by now but I haven’t. I’m going to try and paint one black this week and see how it turns out. I don’t think it will look good and may just have to bite the bullet on the GTR belts which are 200ea roughly. There is just too many little nooks and crannies in the seatbelt trim to spray paint I think. We’ll see.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:17 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
are you having issues with the vents not seating or the leather itselft? how hard were the edges around the main screen, the curves? and did you use adhesive?
Old 06-15-2020, 11:34 AM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
are you having issues with the vents not seating or the leather itselft?
The vents sit sunken in and they fit snug already. The extra material makes them not want to push down and clip. You also need to leave a good amount of material to drape down so everything is covered when you push them in. It’s also hard to cut those in the car. I was able to cut them okay and get everything adhered. I was able to push the hell out of the driver side and get it clipped down for the most part but I had one tiny spot in the corner where leather wasn’t sitting low enough. I tried stretching that bit down a little more but haven’t pushed it back down to see. On the passenger side, I wasn’t able to push it down to clip and and may need to make a few more precision cuts around the corners so the material isn’t impeding the vent as much. But I think I will have issues with the material not going low enough once they are clipped and sitting sunken in.

I think what I might do is just get some strong double sided tape (or something like that) and lightly press them down so they stay without cranking them down all the way. Still brainstorming this. I’ll take close ups of the vents next time I’m in the car.

Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
how hard were the edges around the main screen, the curves? and did you use adhesive?
not 100% sure what your asking. You mean around nav screen and a/c controls? That was easy. And yes, adhesive everywhere. Leather molds well and if your work it you can get to it to form around curves without wrinkles. The trim around the screen with two big vents was a really tight fit, but I just jammed it hard and it snugged in.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:31 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

ok yeah, that is what i figured with vents, but good to know on the center/nav area as that is my problem area with cracking so definetely want to make that look good lol..but Im wondering if i can go with a thinner material? maybe just a few milliliters may make it thin enough to not interfere too much with the trim pieces...maybe ? just a thought...and is your adhesive a flex type? im guessing with the heat and cold it will shrink and expand but not sure how much and if it makes too much of a difference...
Old 06-15-2020, 02:11 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

My leather is average thickness, 1.2mm-1.3mm. There are thinner hides tho. Here is the leather I got for my roof which is a lot thinner and would be a good choice.

https://www.leatherhidestore.com/es2...wholesale.html

They have more sizes if you call and they will make sure your hide is big enough if you give them dimensions (I think dash needed 27” at the fat part but measure to be safe, I am going off memory).

I used weldwood for the dash. I don’t suspect I’ll have any issues with it as far as heat/cold. I used 3m 90 for a lot of the interior and then used weldwood to do the edges of the interior pieces. Weldwood is awesome stuff. If you drip a little on the leather you can just let it dry and it peels off. 3m 90 isn’t as forgiving.

Last edited by sobeIPL; 06-15-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:08 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sobeIPL
My leather is average thickness, 1.2mm-1.3mm. There are thinner hides tho. Here is the leather I got for my roof which is a lot thinner and would be a good choice.

https://www.leatherhidestore.com/es2...wholesale.html

They have more sizes if you call and they will make sure your hide is big enough if you give them dimensions (I think dash needed 27” at the fat part but measure to be safe, I am going off memory).

I used weldwood for the dash. I don’t suspect I’ll have any issues with it as far as heat/cold. I used 3m 90 for a lot of the interior and then used weldwood to do the edges of the interior pieces. Weldwood is awesome stuff. If you drip a little on the leather you can just let it dry and it peels off. 3m 90 isn’t as forgiving.
thanks for the link! yeah will measure and make sure i have enough...the only reason i thought about going thinner was for issues you are having near vents, but i like the way yours covers and smooths the dash...i have a few bumps from previous fixes and want to make sure they are not visible through the leather..i may, at this point, sand them down to ensure smoothness etc and then add the leather..but thanks

Also- did you cover the speedo housing? mine looks mint, so wondering if the leather looks sufficiently close to leave that alone? just wondering how you did that part

Last edited by G37sPhoton; 06-16-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:01 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Your best bet is going to be trying different products you can use to fill cracks that will leave a smooth finish. I used Sugru and it was a terrible idea. I would try silicon or even flex seal.

Funny you asked about the cluster lid b/ I’m messing with that now. The leather matches about as good as it can but it still looks off. For the record, I’m wrapping everything (doors, etc). Literally anywhere you can touch except inside the cup holder will be leather

I had planned on taking it out further down the road to wrap it, but realized I could probably wrap it without removing. I actually bought one on eBay for $20 so I could wrap it and that way when I pulled it all apart I could quickly reinstall since I would have a wrapped one ready to go (I can’t go too long without a drivable car). So I’m cutting the template off the extra one I have and I’m gonna try to do it without removing. There is huge gaps around the buttons so I think it’ll tuck right in and look just as good as removing. That thing is also one of the worst offenders of sqeeks and rattles so jamming the leather in between the pieces should actually stop that too.

I’ll let you know how it goes.
The following users liked this post:
G37sPhoton (06-17-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 10:51 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Received 160 Likes on 108 Posts
Love the updates you've got going on! I'm in the process of rewrapping my headliner, and trying to source OEM Black Plastic parts where possible. It looks like the QX70 used the same dome assembly as the G37; and it came in black (with sunroof switch) for MY '16-17.

I've got one on order, I'll let you know results.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:47 AM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by deep0542
Love the updates you've got going on! I'm in the process of rewrapping my headliner, and trying to source OEM Black Plastic parts where possible. It looks like the QX70 used the same dome assembly as the G37; and it came in black (with sunroof switch) for MY '16-17.

I've got one on order, I'll let you know results.
Thanks! The more people who respond the thread, the more incentivized I am to post more pics and updates. I spent all a good amount time searching for QX70 dome light you claim is what we want and couldn’t find any instances of a black one. You sure this exists? Can you send a link of one?

I think we discussed this before but aside from the dome light, the handles are out of Sentra Nismo (I actually have a third handle, it comes with 3 if you come up one short). What other pieces are looking for? I have no answer for the air vents in pillars (q60 look like they might fit, but no way to tell). I have no answer for seatbelts except spending a fortune on gt-r (your sedan I’m sure has different front belts). The coat hanger I guess I’m gonna paint, I just bought q60 visors which I will wrap as well so that should be fine.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:20 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sobeIPL
Thanks! The more people who respond the thread, the more incentivized I am to post more pics and updates. I spent all a good amount time searching for QX70 dome light you claim is what we want and couldn’t find any instances of a black one. You sure this exists? Can you send a link of one?

I think we discussed this before but aside from the dome light, the handles are out of Sentra Nismo (I actually have a third handle, it comes with 3 if you come up one short). What other pieces are looking for? I have no answer for the air vents in pillars (q60 look like they might fit, but no way to tell). I have no answer for seatbelts except spending a fortune on gt-r (your sedan I’m sure has different front belts). The coat hanger I guess I’m gonna paint, I just bought q60 visors which I will wrap as well so that should be fine.
Haha it is an elusive bird! But here's the thing, you have to look for the "S" version of the QX70. I was able to source the black B pillars (pictured left) which fit the sedan from the QX70s, but its tough to find the dome light. These black plastics confirm the existence of other OEM Black parts. Judging from normal QX70/FX35 examples on eBay, the map light should be a direct fit.

As far as my end, I've sourced all the Black OEM plastics except the darn Q60 sunroof handle. can't figure out part#
Old 06-17-2020, 08:08 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Can’t find any parts from that car anywhere. Was it only QX70 that had black, not the older name?

I guess your seatbelts aren’t as big of a problem since you don’t have all that hardware to keep it off your shoulder like the coupe.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:10 AM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

UPDATE:

I’m in headliner limbo. As I’ve said, the leather I used to wrap everything already doesn’t come in a big enough size to do the headliner. I thought maybe I found a sample that was close enough. I bought it and it just came in but it’s too far off and looks bad imo. Would be a good leather to use (I posted link a few posts above) for the entire project, but it’s not close enough to match what I’ve already used.

So now I’m back to square 1. Options are:

1) keep looking for a new leather thats a better match (have some more samples coming)
2) Go with gray for headliner (and then I could do a two-tone and do bottom of the doors, glove box etc gray also).
3) Do a faux suede like alcantara or something similar for headliner. Seems like it’ll look cheap given everything else will be leather.

I am going to work on sound deadening the rear of the cabin this weekend since I’m at a standstill with the headliner. I was hoping to get headliner and all the wrapped pillars and center console back in the car this weekend so it’s mostly back together but that’ll have to wait now:/
Old 06-18-2020, 12:36 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

I’m probably biased but my vote would be for faux suede or doing it with black headliner cloth material.

gray two tone will make the black plastics stick out quite a bit
Old 06-18-2020, 02:09 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by deep0542
I’m probably biased but my vote would be for faux suede or doing it with black headliner cloth material.

gray two tone will make the black plastics stick out quite a bit
I did consider that and I think you are probably right. It would have to be a dark enough gray that black bits don’t clash but light enough that it doesn’t look like a bad black match.

Maybe I am just being to picky and it won’t really be obvious that the roof is slightly different leather. Here is a pick of the comparison.

Top is the hide I got for headliner. Bottom is the leather I used everywhere else.

I am just going to keep looking and hopefully find something closer.

Quick Reply: I’m doing it! Black Headliner, Cracked Dash Solution and no more Vibrations