Body Interior Exterior Lighting

I’m doing it! Black Headliner, Cracked Dash Solution and no more Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 04:54 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
@iCrap , you clearly have too much time on your hands LOL.
That might be true lol, but I also just really don't like paying people for something I know I can do myself, even if it does take me a longer amount time.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:20 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 481 Likes on 403 Posts
I think I'm finally past that point, for example lawn care. I can do it, I just would rather do something else. So I pay a guy.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:41 AM
doctornick
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
I think you're being too tough on the paint's results. Plenty of paint shades and options that will do just fine on that piece.

Sand 600 grit flat parts and scotchbrite the rest.
Clean with grease/wax remover
Apply adhesion promoter
Paint with ENAMEL paint

Rustoleum carries wide varietys of black along with dark charcoals etc.

Medium gloss or flat black will take care of this part for example, my center trims are painted with low gloss black.
Prep work is your friend
Just curious, did you replace the lights in your center stack? My rings around the nav dial and vol/tune **** (honestly my button backlights too) are nowhere near that bright even at max brightness, I almost feel like mine are having some age issues.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:19 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by doctornick
Just curious, did you replace the lights in your center stack? My rings around the nav dial and vol/tune **** (honestly my button backlights too) are nowhere near that bright even at max brightness, I almost feel like mine are having some age issues.
It's a possibility that the max brightness + dome light being on could have some photo effect.
It's also possible the paint might help the brightness as well.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:15 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
Aight Gents. I’m drinking beers and painting headlights. Perfect time to update the blog between coats…

Car is still at the body shop aka surgeon getting the cancer removed (rust) and should be back to me a week from today. I stopped by Monday and nothing was done except they removed my bumper so I could take my headlights so I’m not holding my breath, lol.

So I wanted to go ham on these headlights but I’m sorta timid. The current plan is paint the housing and Projector shroud in KAD (color match) and I’m going to do a halo inside the projector so the slots illuminate. I don’t know what the G has these sick *** shrouds that don’t light up. Like legit no light cokes through them oem. So I guess I’m going for oem plus look, nothing too crazy. I got the oem replica Chinese headlights to source new lenses from which also gives me some extra prices to **** around with in case I mess something up. I just bought some rustoleum tint in a can. It’s made for windows but I think 2 or 3 very light coats on the turn signal and reflector bowl could be sick. Kinda going for that black chrome. I’m worried it’ll not stand up to the heat but **** it. Yolo. Priming the shrouds now about to drop the first coat of KAD. I’m tested the rattle can I got. Not worried about the color, worded about the crappy rattle can. Wish me luck. I’ll post pics of the shroud later.

anyone think the tint spray made for windows is a terrible idea for the bowls?

Last edited by sobeIPL; 07-30-2021 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:01 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

What a disaster. Primed up nicely. Paint was hot shlt. It came out in huge spurts. I soaked in warm water, shook for 3 minutes. What an abortion. Already requested my money back. Might just prime them and ask the body shop to spray them. Danmmn it!
Old 07-31-2021, 02:21 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

@ILM-NC G37S quick question. I am mounting a simple halo behind the projector shroud. No switchback, or anything. It only has 2 wires (+/-). Can I just splice these 2 wires directly into into the two city light wires so they’ll kick on whenever city lights are on? Is there enough juice going to the city lights to power these and the city lights?
Old 07-31-2021, 02:32 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
@sobeIPL There should be more than enough amperage to power both the city lights as well as the LED "Halo" units. Are you swapping the city lights to LED's as well? If so, you should be good to go.

If in doubt, you could always add a inline fuse to the lead wire of the halo unit.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 07-31-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:00 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Yea I got some diode dynamics LEDs for city lights. Just trying to keep it simple so if I can splice them into city lights and call it a day then that’s great.

As a side note, I bought these cheap Chinese headlights to source lenses from and they are friggin siliconed together, not butyl. I have no idea how to get these apart. FML. Just initiated the return. Guess I’m gonna have to splurge for the $700 headlight depo lights now😒.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:03 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
You're good going with Diode Dynamics products. As far as the lens... It is always something, dude. Always. You're braver than I am though ... I wouldn't last 15min. attempting to do what you are accomplishing.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:15 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Appreciate the vote of confidence, and your right, It’s ALWAYS something. This wasn’t supposed to be a big deal. Open headlights, paint shrouds, add a halo behind the should to illuminate the slots and seal it up. But of course nothing goes right. Now I gotta drive to Lowe’s to get some black silicon to try and hide the fact I tampered with these lights I’m returning. 🤦‍♂️

Why the hell can’t we just buy lenses for these lights. They have them for a 370Z. So frustrating.
The following users liked this post:
rotarymike (07-31-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 01:05 PM
BULL
Moderador

Anything other than 99cent paint will hold.
buy some grey scotchbrite to lightly scuff the shroud for paint adhesion and remember to spray the other side the same way.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:22 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Stopped by the body shop to drop off some mirror moldings and some brackets they claim were broken (they broke them&#128530, lol. Also dropped off from top notch diode dynamics 6000k fog bulbs for the bumper. Car is looking real nice. Check it out.

Also picked up my headlight housing and shrouds. A friggin fly flew into one of the shrouds so they gotta fix it. Also the plastic pieces that cover the turn signal didn’t come out well so they gonna do those again too. But holy moly these things look insane!

Any spots are just reflections. They look flawless.
The following 3 users liked this post by sobeIPL:
BULL (08-09-2021), Equis (08-09-2021), iCrap (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 04:39 PM
BULL
Moderador

This is going to look really good. Make sure they write down the mix of the paint in case you need them to touch up somethings. Brand new KAD looks insanely different than aged. Props to that shop.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:43 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
This is going to look really good. Make sure they write down the mix of the paint in case you need them to touch up somethings. Brand new KAD looks insanely different than aged. Props to that shop.
I actually thought it looked it exactly the same, lol. What do you mean tho by mix of paint. Isn’t KAD just KAD?

Quick Reply: I’m doing it! Black Headliner, Cracked Dash Solution and no more Vibrations