Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

I知 doing it! Black Headliner, Cracked Dash Solution and no more Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 06:28 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
Okay, so I found a better way, probably the intended way. Open the visor up with pry tool all the way around except where the screws are. Then you can get to the tabs like this...

Use small flathead and or tweezers to lift the tabs

slide it out and undo these screws.

then crack the rest open with pry tool.

And that痴 it. Easy Peasy. I知 struggling with that metal latch holding in the swing arm. I see how it works but damn it痴 tough. The black Q arm is little different (shorter) so I may have to do more fabrication than I thought.

Old 12-19-2020, 12:24 AM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
I will try that. My visors look different because it's a sedan. Hey, I have a question. How did you go about wrapping the sunroof grove areas of the headliner? I have difficulties wrapping the sunroof groove corners. I am finishing up my headliner tomorrow and only have the sunroof hole left. It looks so clean without the grab handle holes!
Old 12-19-2020, 10:03 AM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

@Joyryde Post some pics! I知 not sure what you you mean by grooves but anything you wrap with an odd shape follows the same principle... Your adhesive should be so strong that you can stretch your fabric into place, tack it down and it値l hold. With my leather, I slowly work the shape and it値l start to morph into that shape before I even use any glue. So perhaps JB weld isn稚 the best for an immediate strong bond? I don稚 remember the sunroof being tough at all. I know JB weld is good stuff but maybe it痴 the wrong glue for this job? If you can do the headliner dome light area, you should be able to do the sunroof. Note I also removed and then wrapped my sunroof handle too. Looks better than painting it (or finding the black oem). Did you also get the qx70 dome light? I also thought you had a coupe this entire time, lol.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:45 AM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by sobeIPL
@Joyryde Post some pics! I知 not sure what you you mean by grooves but anything you wrap with an odd shape follows the same principle... Your adhesive should be so strong that you can stretch your fabric into place, tack it down and it値l hold. With my leather, I slowly work the shape and it値l start to morph into that shape before I even use any glue. So perhaps JB weld isn稚 the best for an immediate strong bond? I don稚 remember the sunroof being tough at all. I know JB weld is good stuff but maybe it痴 the wrong glue for this job? If you can do the headliner dome light area, you should be able to do the sunroof. Note I also removed and then wrapped my sunroof handle too. Looks better than painting it (or finding the black oem). Did you also get the qx70 dome light? I also thought you had a coupe this entire time, lol.
Oh I know this ain稚 my first rodeo. I just always have trouble with this section and wanted to know what kind of relief cuts I need to make for this this wrap easier than my old methods. And no, I am avoiding black because it will leave too much of a contrast and not look OEM as my dark grey painted dome lamp. I did the dome light area and every other odd shaped area well this time, but the sunroof has always been my weak point. Here痴 what I知 talking about.

And this is how my dome map looks like. I really need to find a black sun roof button.

Old 12-19-2020, 01:34 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

@Joyryde As far as that area on your headliner, if you are having trouble with that spot that tells me your fabric isn稚 stretchy enough most likely. For relief cuts you keep making snips through the corner closer and closer to the edge in a way such that it looks frayed. If you can稚 make a couple relief cuts and stretch the fabric into that shape (ignoring glue for now) then you def can稚 glue it. If you can stretch it to the shape but then can稚 glue (too much pressure and it pops up) then your glue isn稚 right and you need to get a tub of weldwood. That bond is immediate and will hold down a big stretch without pooping up. Overall tho... Stretch is key here and maybe your fabric stretchy enough:/ If that is case you may need to try and find a matching fabric with more stretch.

Did you paint your dome light? What did you do there? Either way you could just paint or plastidip the switch. You don稚 have to disassemble the entire thing to get the button out so you could always just pop it out and re-spray of if some chick with long nails chips your paint. My advice would be to just find a qx70 assembly and be done with it. If you want to go that route, I have a secret on how to find one (they are insanely rare). I have a gtr dome light in medium condition I don稚 need (same as ours but no sunroof switch). You could use that and just move your sunroof switch (that was my plan until I learned of the qx70). I値l sell it to you for whatever I paid for it if you want it (dunno how much but I only get good deals). I wrapped the gtr dome light flat black b/ it wasn稚 brand new looking and it looks solid. Problem with wrapping G dome light is the sunglasses holder is beige when you open it. You could wrap it gray or leave it unwrapped.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:08 PM
Joyryde
Banned

@Joyryde As far as that area on your headliner, if you are having trouble with that spot that tells me your fabric isn稚 stretchy enough most likely. For relief cuts you keep making snips through the corner closer and closer to the edge in a way such that it looks frayed. If you can稚 make a couple relief cuts and stretch the fabric into that shape (ignoring glue for now) then you def can稚 glue it. If you can stretch it to the shape but then can稚 glue (too much pressure and it pops up) then your glue isn稚 right and you need to get a tub of weldwood. That bond is immediate and will hold down a big stretch without pooping up. Overall tho... Stretch is key here and maybe your fabric stretchy enough:/ If that is case you may need to try and find a matching fabric with more stretch.

Did you paint your dome light? What did you do there? Either way you could just paint or plastidip the switch. You don稚 have to disassemble the entire thing to get the button out so you could always just pop it out and re-spray of if some chick with long nails chips your paint. My advice would be to just find a qx70 assembly and be done with it. If you want to go that route, I have a secret on how to find one (they are insanely rare). I have a gtr dome light in medium condition I don稚 need (same as ours but no sunroof switch). You could use that and just move your sunroof switch (that was my plan until I learned of the qx70). I値l sell it to you for whatever I paid for it if you want it (dunno how much but I only get good deals). I wrapped the gtr dome light flat black b/ it wasn稚 brand new looking and it looks solid. Problem with wrapping G dome light is the sunglasses holder is beige when you open it. You could wrap it gray or leave it unwrapped.
The fabric is stretchy enough, since someone else used the same exact fabric from the same company as me and his sun roof hole came out nice. I just don稚 know the correct way to for it. My dome map hole came out amazing. How many inches should I leave for the relief cuts on the sunroof? Last time I did the headliner for my G I rushed the sunroof portion but this time I値l be patient. I did the sunroof portion on my other car and it came out well since I had more experience. I just want to get it right this time.

I like the dark grey painted map I painted (I painted the sunglass holder痴 insides as well) but it痴 just the button that is bugging me since it痴 khaki colored. I could paint it but the symbols won稚 be visible anymore.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:00 AM
Joyryde
Banned

I actually took your advice with the sunroof hole. I over thought it last time. I just made a relief cut, sprayed some of the adhesive in the corner and put some pressure and let it dry. Will install the headliner tomorrow and will PM you a pic.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:02 AM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Joyryde
I actually took your advice with the sunroof hole. I over thought it last time. I just made a relief cut, sprayed some of the adhesive in the corner and put some pressure and let it dry. Will install the headliner tomorrow and will PM you a pic.
Nice! Glad it worked out.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:08 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 219 Likes on 195 Posts
Great work on all of this. Dash looks much better. How did you get the subs hooked up? What did you tap into for the speaker signal? I have the Tesla screen (12.1" but PX6 version) with Bose and Nav. I've got everything hooked up minus that.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:28 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

@jpowersjr2 Hey, so you should have an extra plug with audio outs that you can use instead of the plug attached to the main harness. Now obviously if you use this you won稚 have any sound b/ your bose won稚 get a signal. What I did is use the extra audio plug and then I wired in female rca to the main harness.

That wasn稚 too clear, let me try again. I cut off the plug that go into the Phoenix radio and used the plug with rcas. Then i replaced the wires that would go into that plug with female rcas and connected them. This way I can use the sub out and as I upgrade the bose all I have to do is unplug and plug the rcas accordingly.

Still having a card to explaining this without visual reference.

If you never plan to change the bose, you could just tap into signal in the trunk bose amp like everyone else does as well.

Note my bose sounds like *** with the Phoenix radio. Not sure why. I知 just replacing all the speakers since my amp is perfect for a sub and speakers. I already got some alpine type Rs for the back and I知 trying to nab a good deal on some 3way Dyns for the front.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:31 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Thank you for the response. I am plan on keeping the Bose system as it still sounds good with the Phoenix radio. Do you happen to know what wires you tap into? I also need to figure out why my back up camera isn't working lol.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:23 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Do you have a coupe or sedan? You know how to get into the FSM for your car? If so, find the bose amp section for your ride and find rear input signal + and -. Note I think you could use front signal too, won稚 matter. Only difference is how the F/R fade control will react. If you like your rear speakers down (you fade to front) maybe best to tap the front signals.

@ILM-NC G37S chime in if I am giving bad info here.
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 06:27 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Oh, and as for your backup cam... first thing is when you go into reverse, mine has some different options (one says PAL) dunno what any mean but there is selectable button of 3 choices. Mine was black but when I clicked the second option it worked. Try that first. If that doesn稚 work, it痴 gets tricky with wiring mapping.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:01 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

I have a coupe. I have my fade even between front and rear. Yeah I can pull up the FSM. I'll have to double check on the backup camera, I thought I had tried that already. Thanks again!
Old 12-23-2020, 07:32 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
...find rear input signal + and -. Note I think you could use front signal too, won’t matter. Only difference is how the F/R fade control will react. If you like your rear speakers down (you fade to front) maybe best to tap the front signals.

@ILM-NC G37S chime in if I am giving bad info here.
So far so good. I would try rears first. Can always switch it up to the fronts if the sound quality is not ideal.
Oh, and as for your backup cam... first thing is when you go into reverse, mine has some different options (one says PAL) dunno...
As this Phoenix thing is supposedly "universal" the software probably makes a distinction between PAL, NTSC, and SECAM video signal formats. I would have to know more before I could help diagnose jpowersjr2's issue.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 12-23-2020 at 09:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (12-23-2020)

Quick Reply: I知 doing it! Black Headliner, Cracked Dash Solution and no more Vibrations