Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

I’m doing it! Black Headliner, Cracked Dash Solution and no more Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 09:16 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
@Joyryde My fiancé’s parents live there and we alternate holidays. I was actually thinking of mailing the other visor and some supplies to her parents so I have something to do while I’m there, lol. I still don’t get why your killing the handles unless you just don’t like them now that I figured out how easy they are to pop in. If I were to fill them in, I’d probably use some epoxy style molding stuff. It’s cool, you take some play doe type stuff from can A, take some from can B, massage them together then fill the area and it’ll harden. It sands well too. Are you using any foam?
Old 12-16-2020, 09:20 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
I'm not going for luxury style feel for the car like you are. I'm trying to make it more sporty, reason why I barely have any sound insulation left in the car. I don't like grab handles because the only people that use it are ones that are scared while driving and mother-in-laws. I will be using the expandable foam made by locite. I will sand it down so it will be smooth and flush with the headliner. Which part of Cali are you going to? Maybe I can give you a job to do

edit: I just read the last sentence. That looks so wrong
Old 12-16-2020, 09:57 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Joyryde

edit: I just read the last sentence. That looks so wrong

lol. I’ll be in the suburbs of Sacramento. I’m still in the tank on how to do the passenger visor. The driver side was much easier b/ the q60 is already a clam. I don’t see how you can use the G visor even if you delete mirror b/ the swing arm isn’t going to work painted. It’s going to chip. Just get a q60 visor and I’ll walk you through it. It’s not that hard (just a little time consuming).
Old 12-16-2020, 10:52 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Dang, that's far! Thing with the Q60 sun visors is that they have the airbag label (thanks to America being very sue-happy) I will try and talk to a shop 15 miles away from me to see if they can do it. I will still be deleting the mirrors so it will probably be easier. My swing arm that is painted has held up fine for 1 year and a half. It actually has not sign of peeling at all.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:02 AM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

@Joyryde airbag sticker doesn’t matter. I’m suggesting you wrap over it.I’m mainly suggesting the q60 visors for the black parts but if your paint is holding up, probably not needed and you can use the G. Show me your visors so I can see where it went bad for you.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:16 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 481 Likes on 403 Posts
If you're going for sportier/lighter, why not visors from some base model Nissan like an Altima? I've seen those in black, and without all the doodads.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:50 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
If you're going for sportier/lighter, why not visors from some base model Nissan like an Altima? I've seen those in black, and without all the doodads.
Altima visors should def help out with the track times.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:57 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 481 Likes on 403 Posts
I'm not actually joking - if you're changing things so drastically, why not look at other car's parts that are the color you want and maybe lighter? FX35 or Max etc?
Old 12-17-2020, 06:32 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
I'm not actually joking - if you're changing things so drastically, why not look at other car's parts that are the color you want and maybe lighter? FX35 or Max etc?
When you do headliner the best visor is the easiest one to wrap, lol. The fitment is finicky too. I don’t think many visors would bolt up and fit properly. If they do, they are likely the same visor so it’s moot. I mean mine came out great. I’m trying to convince @Joyryde to man up and try wrapping his again.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:13 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by sobeIPL
When you do headliner the best visor is the easiest one to wrap, lol. The fitment is finicky too. I don’t think many visors would bolt up and fit properly. If they do, they are likely the same visor so it’s moot. I mean mine came out great. I’m trying to convince @Joyryde to man up and try wrapping his again.

These are how mine came out from last year. I hate sun visors so much. I’m going to see how much they charge. I’ll still be doing a vanity mirror delete again. And Mike, already tried that. Most of them are too light for my charcoal suede or come with crappy Nissan fabric and the Americanised airbag stickers. I actually like @sobeIPL ’s work on the leather sun visors. Reminds me of older BMWs.
The following users liked this post:
sobeIPL (12-08-2021)
Old 12-17-2020, 09:52 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

@Joyryde Did you even open it? With the clam it’s easy b/ you just wrap material around to the inside and then close it. Perfect edges.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:19 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by sobeIPL
@Joyryde Did you even open it? With the clam it’s easy b/ you just wrap material around to the inside and then close it. Perfect edges.
Yes. I used JB weld to seal the material inside. I couldn’t open it all the way though. Were you able to open it all the way?
Old 12-18-2020, 12:44 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

@Joyryde You definitely need to crack it all the way open. The only tricky part is having to remove the slider b/ there is two screws under it you gotta get to. After that just pull and pry like hell. Once you have it open, you should be able to wrap it all easily and able to wrap around all the edges. Opening it up all the way will also let you remove the mirror so you can properly fill it in with whatever compound so it’s not lumpy. As far as adhesive, I have used weldwood classic for everything and it works amazingly. Not saying JB weld is bad, I’m not too familiar with it tho for fabric (I used it for metal before but that’s it).

Here is what the open G visor looks like inside.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:09 PM
Joyryde
Banned

@sobeIPL Man, you're good with this. I couldn't seem to open mine regularly and went through 2 sun visors I bought from ebay for pennies last time and chickened out with the other ones I had. What do you mean by slider B? Is it the little area that holds the bead-shaped plastic that latches onto the sun visor clips? This will probably help me a lot.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:56 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Joyryde
Man, you're good with this.
All it takes is no fear, lol. Full disclosure I forced it open and tore out the screws because I couldn’t figure it out either. I will have to finesse my passenger open tho because the q60 passenger is this cheap piece of **** styrofoam, not a clamshell like both G visors and driver side Q so I’ll need to use it.

So “Slider B” is just slider. The “B” was me short cutting writing because as “b/”. So there is no slider “A” either, lol. By slider I mean the only thing that slides, the thing that you can pull out to block the sun when it’s hitting the left side of your face.

So pull the slide out (about 90%) until you see this tab...

That tab is what stops the slide from coming all the way out. Push it down. Now here is the part I don’t get, there is another tab on the other side but there isn’t a hole to get at it. I think maybe just releasing the first tab should give you enough movement to jiggle it over the other tab. Here is what the tabs look like released...

now that you can take the slide out, you’ll see the screws that go here...

take out those screws and then the rest of it is just prying.

Note that I posted this a while ago and @BULL mentioned something as to how to get to the other tab but I didn’t quite get what he meant. Maybe he can expand. I just don't see anyway to push that tab but I think once you release the first you can jiggle the second like I said. I can’t test it b/ mine is all jacked up already. Worse comes to worse, just drill a little hole to get the second tab. The visor already looks like Swiss cheese so one more hole is whatever.

Here is what I’m dealing with.

Trying to scavenge the black parts from this ****ty Q passenger visor to Frankenstein to my passenger G visor. This foam is like carbon fiber foam. It’s tough as ****. Trying to get the parts out so I can bring them and the G visor and a piece of leather with me to Cali to keep me busy. The swing arm is stuck to that white piece and I have no clue how to get it free. I’m about to grab my hand saw...

Quick Reply: I’m doing it! Black Headliner, Cracked Dash Solution and no more Vibrations