Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

I’m doing it! Black Headliner, Cracked Dash Solution and no more Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 11:29 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
All good. We all have blonde moments from time to time...
Old 08-28-2020, 12:12 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
All good. We all have blonde moments from time to time...
I am blonde and tend to have these moments more often than most.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:20 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

EDIT: DO NOT DO THIS.
I had to peel all this down b/ the sunroof wouldn’t open. The CLD is okay, the erasers are okay. Don’t put mlv up there.

Update Pics:

Need to treat this area before headliner goes in.

Cut ccf/mlv combo for each side and one piece for the middle. Getting all the way to edges of the car.

Resonix CLD tiles.

eBay generic Magic Erasers (melamine foam) jammed into the roof. I got actual hydrophilic melamine foam for the doors (crazy expensive). But this is the same **** except it’s not water proof. Water isn’t getting in here and this is 1/100th the price

Just admiring my leather glove box... magic erasers ftw.

Last edited by sobeIPL; 08-31-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:30 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

@deep0542 @Joyryde I am having a really hard time with headliner. Is the trim around the sunroof hole in the headliner supposed to lip over areas in the car? The front lips up and over easy, the sides and rear I don’t really understand how those go. Any advice?

Edit: I think maybe I figured it out. I lipped the front over but not the sides or rear and it seems to be okay. I’m guessing that’s how it goes but if not, it looks fine so I guess who cares?

Last edited by sobeIPL; 08-31-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:41 AM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Headliner is up. Looks good. My only issue my sunroof doesn’t open all the way. It starts struggling about half way back. Not sure what’s causing it, maybe my magic erasers but I don’t think anywhere we’re blocking it. I took some of them out toward the rear that I could get too but that didn’t lead to any improvement so I’m going to have to pull it down and trouble shoot more.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:24 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by sobeIPL
Headliner is up. Looks good. My only issue my sunroof doesn’t open all the way. It starts struggling about half way back. Not sure what’s causing it, maybe my magic erasers but I don’t think anywhere we’re blocking it. I took some of them out toward the rear that I could get too but that didn’t lead to any improvement so I’m going to have to pull it down and trouble shoot more.
If you're up for it again it you might have to remove the headliner again. I have a feeling one of those strips on the roof might be pushing onto the liner or interfering with the glass as it opens.

Magic erasers for the win hell yeah, you can get those suckers in everywhere.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:14 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
If you're up for it again it you might have to remove the headliner again. I have a feeling one of those strips on the roof might be pushing onto the liner or interfering with the glass as it opens.

Magic erasers for the win hell yeah, you can get those suckers in everywhere.
Yea, I’m going to drop the headliner and hook up the switch so I can see what’s going on. I may have to pull out the sunroof shade too which is also a pita. Hopefully I can get it all working okay without too much frustration, lol.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:49 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Roof is in. I had to tear off all the ccf/mlv down, that was problem with sunroof. I edited my post about it with a warning to not do it. That was a big waste of time.

I tried to put the handles in and yea... I’m screwed. It looks like maybe if you jam something in there to stop the clip from going up, it may be able to clip?. My visor twist in clips don’t go in either.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:07 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
I tried to put the handles in and yea... I’m screwed. It looks like maybe if you jam something in there to stop the clip from going up, it may be able to clip?. My visor twist in clips don’t go in either.
Yeah, those handles aren’t fun. I would have recommended putting the double sided red tape on the headliner where the grab handle depress touches the metal roof so you wouldn’t need to force those clips in. Those clips with the grab handles help hold the headliner in place a bit, so that is why it is hard to install them back in as gravity is not so kind. My only recommendation is to buy some sort of OEM “SRS” style plastics to cover the holes or something, or maybe try to install and old school leather grab handle and use some metal JB weld stick to join it to the roof.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:22 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Joyryde
Yeah, those handles aren’t fun. I would have recommended putting the double sided red tape on the headliner where the grab handle depress touches the metal roof so you wouldn’t need to force those clips in. Those clips with the grab handles help hold the headliner in place a bit, so that is why it is hard to install them back in as gravity is not so kind. My only recommendation is to buy some sort of OEM “SRS” style plastics to cover the holes or something, or maybe try to install and old school leather grab handle and use some metal JB weld stick to join it to the roof.
These handles are going way one or another! I see now what you mean about the tape. I didn’t take your advice when I tacked it up, but it’s not too hard to unlip and pull down that area to get some in there. I still think it’ll only help a little bit. The issue I see is that as you push them in, the clip they need to click into slide up too. So i think the strat is stop that piece from moving. Once it clips those things are in there I think. I wish I would have tapered off the foam in these areas. The leather alone isn’t too thick but the leather and foam is throwing everything off. Side note, I couldn’t use the yellow ring around dome light. Just tacked that sucker up without it and it holds just fine.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:28 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Doing a test fit and decided to give y’all a sneak peek. Don’t judge too hard yet, nothing is really pinned down, the leather around the edges isn’t totally secured and I scratched all these trim pieces so I’m re-doing it all. Without further ado.

Test fit some pieces. Still need to clean it all up and re-do trim. The leather center console and shift boot is def my favorite part so far.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:13 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Amazing. You really hit the nail on the head matching the patterns to the rest of the car. Extremely similar to the texture of the wheel.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:35 AM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
Amazing. You really hit the nail on the head matching the patterns to the rest of the car. Extremely similar to the texture of the wheel.
Thanks dude. It’s starting to finally come along although I still have a lot to do. The original intent was to match the leather to the cars texture so the leather dash matched the center console and doors and stuff. In hindsight it’s not going to matter since EVERYTHING is getting the leather treatment I also have a steering wheel wrap I am going to use as a template to cut my own out of the leather. Literally everything is getting wrapped. Everything.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:43 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
..EVERYTHING is getting the leather treatment ...Literally everything is getting wrapped. Everything.
Including the driver?
Serious kudos on this project... the amount of work, time, and expense really shows.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:51 AM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Including the driver?
Serious kudos on this project... the amount of work, time, and expense really shows.
Thanks dude. I may have to get some leather pants and a leather jacket once it’s all done, lol.

Quick Reply: I’m doing it! Black Headliner, Cracked Dash Solution and no more Vibrations