Body Interior Exterior Lighting

I’m doing it! Black Headliner, Cracked Dash Solution and no more Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 02:53 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Joyryde
Are you talking about the two black pieces that are plastic? You don't really need them. I didn't use mine and the sunroof/moonroof shade closes and opens fine.
I don’t have them anymore so I don’t really remember what they looked like, but I know there was some pieces on each side of the sunroof that sit in track. Sounds like we are talking about the same thing. Leather has more grip likely than the suede you used. I’ll try it raw and see if it works.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2020, 02:39 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Need some ideas...

So my phoenix radio leaves a sizable gap between itself and the dash along the top. Fortunately I left a good bit of leather wrapped under the top so can peel up the leather and I’m brainstorming on how I can fill that gap, then I can wrap back over it (now extended). Was thinking of using expanding/hardening foam to take the shape and then sand down the excess so the top is flush with the dash. Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 08-26-2020, 01:32 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Post some pics. I have no idea what a "phoenix radio" is.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:29 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Received 160 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by sobeIPL
@deep0542 @Joyryde tagging you guys b/ I know you have experience in regards to my question...

I am getting ready to install my headliner. I had a really tough time removing it and don’t think I did it correctly. Also. I live in a condo and need to get this installed swiftly before anyone notices I’m working on my car so I want to make sure I know exactly what I’m doing.

1) Should I just install the dome light into the headliner before I install the headliner? This is where I got jammed up taking it out. Couldn’t figure out how to remove the dome light and I broke the yellowish trim that holds it in place taking it out (currently super gluing it back together). I’m thinking just totally install the dome light but I’m unsure if I’ll be able to access all the harnesses I need to plug in if it’s already installed? Any advice on this?

2) Besides the Antenna wire that was tapped to the headliner, is there anything else I need to address before I install?
Sorry for the delay in responding, it's been a crazy few days at work. But @Joyryde nailed the process. And I will second those Grab Handles were the WORST part of my first install.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:32 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Received 160 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by sobeIPL
Need some ideas...

So my phoenix radio leaves a sizable gap between itself and the dash along the top. Fortunately I left a good bit of leather wrapped under the top so can peel up the leather and I’m brainstorming on how I can fill that gap, then I can wrap back over it (now extended). Was thinking of using expanding/hardening foam to take the shape and then sand down the excess so the top is flush with the dash. Anyone have any other ideas?
That's strange, do you think it's due to the wrapped dash? My radio sits 100% flush.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:07 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by deep0542
That's strange, do you think it's due to the wrapped dash? My radio sits 100% flush.
I have the 13.6”, yours is the 12 something inch. The 13.6 kinda sucks b/ the screen is so long it doesn’t contour as well. The unit just fits much worse than yours. Not anything to do with the leather.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:09 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

You guys are scaring me with these handles:/

Last edited by sobeIPL; 08-27-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:00 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 481 Likes on 403 Posts
I'd try thin strip(s) of wood, sanded to contour, then the leather over it. The spray foam doesn't get hard enough to withstand a poking finger much less dash wear and tear, and doesn't hold up well in the heat. If you had some high density foam, like a camping mattress, that would be different.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:21 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
I'd try thin strip(s) of wood, sanded to contour, then the leather over it. The spray foam doesn't get hard enough to withstand a poking finger much less dash wear and tear, and doesn't hold up well in the heat. If you had some high density foam, like a camping mattress, that would be different.
Using wood seems tough. I’m thinking of just trying to use the closed cell foam I used with the mlv and the cld for sound deadening. They are both a mailable suntan right with reasonable mass and they can take a little shape while also being self adhesive. I need to take some pics of the gap for better reference but I have my old radio in right now. Will do it soon tho.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:15 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

I feel a little dumb about this one, but where does this harness go?

@Joyryde
Old 08-27-2020, 09:54 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
I believe that harness is supposed to be attached to the headliner, no?

And yes, the grab handles are the scary bit. Just try and get the double sided red extreme tape from Lowes or Home Depot and attach that portion of the headliner straight onto the metal roof so you won't have to force the grab handles in.

And send some pics of the gap you keep mentioning.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:07 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Joyryde
I believe that harness is supposed to be attached to the headliner, no?

And yes, the grab handles are the scary bit. Just try and get the double sided red extreme tape from Lowes or Home Depot and attach that portion of the headliner straight onto the metal roof so you won't have to force the grab handles in.

And send some pics of the gap you keep mentioning.
I’ll try the tape.

I have my stock radio in but I’ll get the pic soon.

Im so lost with where this plugs into. I thought it was on the headliner too but I can’t find any plugs for it. Is there two harness on the roof? The one bundle that has antenna is already plugged up in my car. So it’s not that one.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:39 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
The part number for this harness is the same for the 370z which goes by "Roof wiring harness"
You should check to see if this is the one that attaches to the vanity lights and center trim.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:48 AM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
The part number for this harness is the same for the 370z which goes by "Roof wiring harness"
You should check to see if this is the one that attaches to the vanity lights and center trim.
I don’t know what you mean by vanity lights and center trim..? It doesn’t seem to attach to the dome light if that’s what you mean. I did think it came from the the headliner, but this thing has a bunch of plugs and I can’t find anywhere to plug it in, lol.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:21 AM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

I’m dumb. I think this is from a Z dome light I bought before I know there was better options. False alarm.

Quick Reply: I’m doing it! Black Headliner, Cracked Dash Solution and no more Vibrations