Body Interior Exterior Lighting

I知 doing it! Black Headliner, Cracked Dash Solution and no more Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 08:39 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by mummy2
How do you open up the G37 visor? Wanna do mine black too but don't wanna break nothing.
These are a bit of a paradox as you have to open it in order to order open it, lol.

So you have to get the slide out as their is screws underneath it.

This is where the screws are you have to get to.

Mine is mangled b/ I couldn稚 figure it out even after opening it.

Here is the issue, the slide has two clips keeping it from sliding out. If you press these clips down, it won稚 catch and comes right out.

These clips need stop the visor from coming out.

So how the heck do we get to the clips, so the slide comes out without getting inside?

Well one clip has a hole around it so that痴 doable. The other one tho... I can稚 figure out.

You can get a paper clip in and pull the right clip. The left clip...?

you can稚 seem to access it from any other holes.

Once those screws are out you just pry like heck around the edges.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:58 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

New brakes look nice. Too bad something is wrong and hear a repetitive noise from the back passenger side in sync with speed of the wheels spinning:/ Gotta go back to the shop anyways to get my exhaust put on b/ I didn稚 have the adapters to use the Nismo mid-pipe (was hoping my IPL midpipe was okay but he said it looked terrible). Hopefully the issue with brakes isn稚 a big deal.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:43 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
A long knife like tool like plastic trim poppers. Insert them inside of the visor itself while pulling and pushing on those tabs to free it.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:17 AM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Over the hump on the glove box. I knew the glove was going to require a good amount of stretching due to the handle area so I didn稚 use the nicest piece of leather for it. Was able to get the cut out of the corner of the last hide I have on hand while keeping enough material in that hide for one top section of a door, it came it fine although you can see the cows battle scars, lol.

I did sand the sides and also sanded the sides of the panels around it as it was already a tight fit. It all wouldn稚 fit with added thickness of the leather. I知 hoping I took enough off, well find out when I try to install. Fingers crossed.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:19 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
@sobeIPL Hopefully not too late. Here are the pics I took that I was unable to send via PM:

My one card does have the embossed numbers, the difference in thickness is minimal at least. I think the difference in gap between top and bottom lies in the contour of the glovebox and possibly how the latch pulls the box closed.

Hope this helps...
Old 07-23-2020, 09:24 AM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Yea, this helps. Thank You.

For anyone curios where this came from, I PM壇 @ILM-NC G37S asking about the gaps here to know how much I need to shave off so my wrapped glove box goes back in okay.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:26 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
My best recommendation is to take old cards and tape a razor blade to one side and how many desired cards on the other. If the opposite end of the car is hold flat parallel to the edge of the box you can mark/slice a line as thick as 1,2,3, cards of thickness.

Compare the thickness of the hide to how many cards in thickness to give it your best chance.

Later, install as quick as possible using wedges for the desired gap and letting it dry while installed. This will give the material an equal push to fuse equally and giving you even clearances for adjustment.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:12 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

I知 not going to lie, unless you are trying to concoct some sort of bobby trap, I don稚 understand at all what your suggesting, lol.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:06 AM
Chemdog
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just FYI in the future if you wanna paint some trims try getting some SEM upholstery spray paint the best out there with some proper preparation it will definitely hold up if you can find oem black trim.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:51 AM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Chemdog
Just FYI in the future if you wanna paint some trims try getting some SEM upholstery spray paint the best out there with some proper preparation it will definitely hold up if you can find oem black trim.
Which trim are you referring too?
Old 07-24-2020, 11:54 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 481 Likes on 403 Posts
I think he meant "can't find oem black trim".

SEM and VHT both make spray vinyl dyes that work well on most plastic trim to permanently recolor.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:05 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Just finished up the glove box. Looks pretty good. I had to use my hack saw on the latch (top and sides) so it fit with the leather. Note the latch is leather too. Opens and closes perfectly. I also loaded this thing with CLD as I put it back together.. it痴 pretty heavy now. Shouldn稚 be making any noises.

Old 07-25-2020, 05:36 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by sobeIPL
These are a bit of a paradox as you have to open it in order to order open it, lol.

So you have to get the slide out as their is screws underneath it.

This is where the screws are you have to get to.

Mine is mangled b/ I couldn稚 figure it out even after opening it.

Here is the issue, the slide has two clips keeping it from sliding out. If you press these clips down, it won稚 catch and comes right out.

These clips need stop the visor from coming out.

So how the heck do we get to the clips, so the slide comes out without getting inside?

Well one clip has a hole around it so that痴 doable. The other one tho... I can稚 figure out.

You can get a paper clip in and pull the right clip. The left clip...?

you can稚 seem to access it from any other holes.

Once those screws are out you just pry like heck around the edges.
I gave up trying to take them apart and just taped off the sticker and the plastic bits and just sprayed the visors. Turned out pretty good.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:42 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Update:

Holy smokes guys the front of my car is starting to look real nice. Dash is done, glove box is done, speedo housing is done, dash side covers are done, lower panel around glove box is done.

Here is are some unflattering pics...

Leather gauge housing lid wrapped without removing, came out flawless.

Test fit of the leather glove box. Opens and closes like money. The side panel looks great too.

@G37sPhoton I think you asked me that housing, there you go

@ILM-NC G37S I sanded the glove more on the top per the pics you uploaded and have a razor thin gap all the way down now. Those definitely helped. Thanks.

I painted half of my trim already but scratched the piece over the glove like it dummy before the clear harden so I gotta sand it down and spray again. Once I do I can put that in and bolt up for glove for good.

I painted the housing of the Phoenix Tesla screen too and it looks dope. Still having issues with wiring tho which is why I知 riding with the oem radio in those pics.

I ordered 2 more 1/2 hides of the same leather to finish the doors, rear quarter panels and rear deck. I think I finally found the leather I知 going to use for headliner (the leather I知 using doesn稚 come big enough for roof so I致e been scouring the world looking for a close match). That should be here in about 2 weeks so I知 knocking out all the small stuff in the meantime.

I got my brakes installed and now my brake light and traction lights are on and they feel a little off. What a shame. It痴 going to back to the shop anyway Monday for the Nismo exhaust now that I have the extenders so hopefully when I pick it up the exhaust and brakes are perfect. My IPL exhaust is rusted to **** so it値l be nice having a fresh oem replacement. Note I知 going for quiet and like the sound of the nismo/IPL which is why I didn稚 just throw an aftermarket on there.

Finish line is in sight...

The following 2 users liked this post by sobeIPL:
Equis (07-31-2021), G37sPhoton (07-27-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 07:35 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Looking good. All that hard work is paying off. Glad I was able to help. Eventually my lazy self will have to address this damn dash.. but not in 95ー, 1000% humidity summertime. Besides, I have other projects to complete first.

Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply: I知 doing it! Black Headliner, Cracked Dash Solution and no more Vibrations