Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

driving light bulb

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 04:02 PM
perfectgecko

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
driving light bulb

I ordered yellow 9006 bulb to replace the stock burnt out ones for a 2009 g37 sedan ... there is no plug for this size bulb although it does fit in the whole? im confused
Old 02-18-2018, 04:52 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Which bulb are you talking about? If you're talking low/high beams it's a D2S bulb.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:12 PM
perfectgecko

no i'm talking about the foglight/driving light. (sorry it was the title of the post and i didn't put it in the actual post)

technically im also having another issue, but i was trying to get this fixed first thinking it could be a circuit problem.
The real problems are my high beams don't work, and the headlights only come on if the fog light's are turned on... the you roll the toggle switch back the headlights go off! its really weird. I don't really know how this happened.
The high beams had been working. i can still hear the click where the lever in the headlight assembly moves out of the way, but the light turns off.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:53 PM
perfectgecko

the posts here all say its a 9006 bulb ... but the plug is not a 9006 plug .. it looks more like an h8 plug ... can anyone confirm this? again its a 2009 g37s sedan.
or confirm that this could lead to all my problems??
Old 02-19-2018, 12:15 AM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts
These are the bulbs for your '09. The fog light is an HB4 halogen (which I think is also called a 9006?) but the main headlamp (hi and low beam) is a D2S xenon.

The fog lights will only operate with the low beams and will shut off if you switch to high beams. It sounds like you may have some crossed connections going on...

Is it a Canadian car - with DRL?
Attached Thumbnails driving light bulb-09bulbs.jpg  
Old 02-19-2018, 11:02 AM
perfectgecko

no its not canadian. I read the specs sheet on this forum which is why i ordered some HB4/9006 bulbs. the bulbs fit in the socket just fine. I suppose my problem is that I need to un hook everything and start over ... but when i look at the post with the pictures for the one who circled the different lights (red, blue, and yellow) the blue circle is not what my fog connection looks like. there is just a 9006 bulb in there with a 90 degree turn for the connection. thats why i fear something is wrong!

I know the fogs only work with low beams ... thats not really the problem. The problem is the low beams don't work at all unless they fogs are toggled on. I don't really understand how something could of been crossed since nothing has been messed with to my knowledge. But it does make sense that it sounds like something is crossed, but I have no idea what. Im going to go take some pictures and post them back here.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:27 AM
perfectgecko

Ok so i went out there to take another look and this is what i found ... a cord coming off the ballast that was left from someone (i just found out) that tried to install some hid fog lights that didn't know what they were doing.

this cord was connected to the stock ballast and then plugged into the fog/driving lights. this would explain the unused connection i kept seeing ...

so i took that cord out and hooked everything back the way it should and voila it all works fine now. I'm not sure what the cords in the first picture were for... i thought if you bought hid for your fogs you needed separate ballasts that came with a wiring harness .. this looked like some straight up jerry rig stuff.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:43 PM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts
Alright! Glad to hear you figured it out and got it all working. It sounds to me like somebody tried to make the fog lights the actual low beams or some such weirdness. I don't think you can run two hid bulbs off of one ballast... Anyway, well done!
The following users liked this post:
perfectgecko (02-19-2018)