Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Simple headlight mod...Halos or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Exploded_Muffin
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Simple headlight mod...Halos or something else?

Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting something done with my headlights but not sure what to do yet (Car is a blue slate, 2013 Journey Coupe - completely stock for now)

My plan is to get either single or dual LED Halo orbs from Morimoto or Diode Dynamics to use as DRLs. I've seen them on some coupes and they do like nice in pictures (IMO) but not sure how good they look in person.

So what do you guys think? Do you think the halos/angel eyes look bad/cheesy on our cars or go for it?
I'm basically looking for something simple (and reliable) to enhance the look of the headlights without ricing the front end out.

I'm open to any other suggestions as well, thanks!

(Credit to xnick101 and jking for the pictures)
Attached Thumbnails Simple headlight mod...Halos or something else?-halo-single.jpg   Simple headlight mod...Halos or something else?-halo-dual.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 01:26 PM
T.A.D
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm thinking of doing something with my headlights as well. Most of the G37 guys use OnEighty hardware for their headlights (It's specifically made for our lights). Depending where you're located it might also just be worth dropping by their shop and having them do it. Sadly I'm in NC and would have to ship my housings to them.

ONEighty NYC

BTW they look amazing in person if done right. I personally prefer the four corner LED DRLs like what the newer Porsches have over the rings.

Also keep an eye out for those headlights SpyderAuto is supposed to be making for us. People either love them or hate them. There's a thread on here about them if you look hard enough.
Exploded_Muffin (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Exploded_Muffin
Registered Member

Thanks for the info T.A.D. I went to ONEighty's site to see what they had for the 11+ coupe and they have just a set of single halos without much description and no picture of what it looks like. Their website changed recently so they're either trimming the fat from their offerings or aren't done detailing the site. Can someone from ONEighty please give some input?

I'm in Texas and don't wanna have to ship the lights if I can avoid that. From the DIY videos I've seen the whole process seems doable myself, will just take me longer than someone with more experience.

Yea the new 90 degree lights look good on the Porsches, don't know if anyone currently offers something similar for the G though.

I have seen the headlights from SpyderAuto. I unfortunately fall into the category of disliking them....too much going on while weirdly reminding me of acanthamoeba keratitis
Old 08-08-2017, 03:23 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 255 Likes on 201 Posts
I know most of the "pros" like to get their stuff from https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

I personally like the quad halos!Unless you do the work yourself you will have to ship them out If done the right way they look siiiiiick

Old 08-08-2017, 03:24 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Lot of guys run halos and it's a preference thing. I had them on my Mazda and liked them. Don't care for them on the G.

Whole procedure is very simple. You just need to take your time and don't rush it. If I could do it at 20 in my oven at college, you should be able to pull it off lol. Just make sure to upgrade your lenses while you're in there. Can't speak from experience but guys who have swapped them out swear by it. Pain your housing as well if that's in the cards as well. Want to one and done the whole thing.

Clear silicone or Butyl tape for sealing back up. I used clear silicone after the first deer...Butyl after the second. Never had moisture.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:32 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

^Thanks Viz,

Couldn't remember the place I saw people getting those lenses

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...ses/sti-r.html
Old 08-08-2017, 03:49 PM
Exploded_Muffin
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Vizard_87
I know most of the "pros" like to get their stuff from https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

I personally like the quad halos!Unless you do the work yourself you will have to ship them out If done the right way they look siiiiiick

If I could cook your car and eat it.....it looks absolutely delicious! Lol
Thanks for the help man. I believe you changed or added a projector housing to the inner light (the ones closer to the grill) to fit a similar sized halo as the one on the outer light, is that correct?

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Lot of guys run halos and it's a preference thing. I had them on my Mazda and liked them. Don't care for them on the G.

Whole procedure is very simple. You just need to take your time and don't rush it. If I could do it at 20 in my oven at college, you should be able to pull it off lol. Just make sure to upgrade your lenses while you're in there. Can't speak from experience but guys who have swapped them out swear by it. Pain your housing as well if that's in the cards as well. Want to one and done the whole thing.

Clear silicone or Butyl tape for sealing back up. I used clear silicone after the first deer...Butyl after the second. Never had moisture.
Thanks mate, that has cleared up some doubts I was having regarding the DIY.
Will look into the STi-R lenses and see if that's worth it to me, will not be painting the housing though. I'll get the morimoto butyl tape as well to reseal the lights. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2017, 04:02 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Only $45 USD? relatively cheap so If you're in there I say go for it
Old 08-08-2017, 04:06 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 255 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Exploded_Muffin
If I could cook your car and eat it.....it looks absolutely delicious! Lol
Thanks for the help man. I believe you changed or added a projector housing to the inner light (the ones closer to the grill) to fit a similar sized halo as the one on the outer light, is that correct?
Yeah I believe a dummy projector was used for the inner halos
Old 08-08-2017, 04:29 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Use Diode Dynamics halo's opposed to Morimoto's. Diode's are brighter, whiter, and more reliable.
Diode Dynamics (08-09-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 04:33 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
This is making me miss the angel eyes on my old BMW way too much. Quads looks sick on our cars.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:59 PM
Exploded_Muffin
Registered Member

Thanks for all the responses guys! I'll be going with the dual halos and will hopefully get some pics up when done
Old 08-09-2017, 04:42 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Exploded_Muffin

So what do you guys think? Do you think the halos/angel eyes look bad/cheesy on our cars

unless its a BMW, it looks really dumb, IMHO. its pretty specifically a BMW signature, and when i see other cars with them, i just think ... "wanna-be BMW".

kinda like the clear rear light madness that happened after the Altezza/IS300 had them.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:35 AM
Mr_Mer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
I stayed away from halos and went with this...

Done at Home
Old 08-09-2017, 07:52 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Iron man style^ and/or partial halos look the best IMO if you're going this route and not too much like a E46