Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

How to repair retaining clip for headlight

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:10 AM
Xyrium
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to repair retaining clip for headlight?

I was installing a new set of bulbs and must have forced that little retaining spring/clip too hard, and cracked a small piece of plastic off of the inside of the housing that allows one side of the retaining clip to be, well, retained.

Does the entire housing have to be replaced ow, or can I remove the entire assembly and replace the projector casing? This is for an '09 G37 sedan.

Thanks for any tips!

Regards,
Paul

Last edited by Xyrium; 06-08-2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added question mark so folks don't think this is a set of instructions
Old 06-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Xyrium
Registered Member

Hmm, it appears the xenon cluster can be replaced. Looks like I'll be doing that once I find a reputable dealer. Any suggestions? I'm going to contact retrofit resource, but would like other ideas if possible.

2x OEM! 07-09 INFINITI G37 COUPE BI-XENON HID D2S PROJECTORS PAIR RETRO FIT LENS - Factory Xenon
Old 06-11-2017, 12:36 AM
Bota36
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Xyrium
Does the entire housing have to be replaced ow, or can I remove the entire assembly and replace the projector casing? This is for an '09 G37 sedan.
Hey Paul, I ran into this same issue. I'd also like to know if a simple clip replacement could work as well. Anyone know if this is possible?
Old 03-04-2023, 02:18 PM
cousinabe
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My solution

I ran into this same problem and ended up using mechanics wire to hold retaining clip in place.
I took a 6 inch piece of wire and made a secured loop on one end and attached to the left end of retaining clip. Fished the wire around the bottom of the reflector bowl and twisted around the right side of retaining clip with tension.
Attaching some pics. I forgot to snip the extra mechanics wire off the right side of retaining clip when I was done, but hopefully you'll be able to see that the wire is behind the reflector bowl phillips head screw.

Normal tab off of reflector bowl(reference)

Retaining clip wired behind phillips head screw of reflector bowl. Reflector bowl tabs are both broken.

wire I used 6 inches.

Complete

Last edited by cousinabe; 03-04-2023 at 06:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Xyrium (03-04-2023)
Old 05-31-2024, 01:14 PM
bbellzsss

Originally Posted by cousinabe
I ran into this same problem and ended up using mechanics wire to hold retaining clip in place.
I took a 6 inch piece of wire and made a secured loop on one end and attached to the left end of retaining clip. Fished the wire around the bottom of the reflector bowl and twisted around the right side of retaining clip with tension.
Attaching some pics. I forgot to snip the extra mechanics wire off the right side of retaining clip when I was done, but hopefully you'll be able to see that the wire is behind the reflector bowl phillips head screw.

Normal tab off of reflector bowl(reference)

Retaining clip wired behind phillips head screw of reflector bowl. Reflector bowl tabs are both broken.

wire I used 6 inches.

Complete
i was changing my headlights on my 2009 g37 sedan the other day and this happened to me, thanks for the this hack..