Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Replacing stock fog lights with LED

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 01:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,729 Likes on 3,534 Posts
Money well spent this time, huh? Gorgeous fogs, and very usable.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:57 PM
G_Luv

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Money well spent this time, huh? Gorgeous fogs, and very usable.
yep, very nice. I'm very happy with them, and the install wasn't too difficult even for a n00b like me. Trickiest thing was the passenger side being tougher to get at, and testing the wiring on both bulbs before re-assembling.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:15 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Can we get some light output shots with headlights only and headlights + fog?
Old 06-05-2017, 11:53 AM
nfsG37
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G_Luv
yep, very nice. I'm very happy with them, and the install wasn't too difficult even for a n00b like me. Trickiest thing was the passenger side being tougher to get at, and testing the wiring on both bulbs before re-assembling.
The fogs look great. When you first look at them head on in pictures and Youtube videos, they don't look too bright, but that seems to be due to the sharp cutoff lines the lights provide down low where the light should be projected. Drop in LED bulbs look brighter from head on, but that is probably just the light scattering, making them less usable than these Morimoto's.

Did you have to adjust the aim of the fog lights after the install, and can you access the adjustment screw after installed?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:03 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
The color hue matches the HID headlights almost perfectly, and the cutoff and brightness is so much better than the stock fogs there's basically no comparison. These were a perfect plug and play for the G, only caveat is due to the wiring the fogs turn off when the hi beams are turned on. Seems a little unusual, but not a big deal.
Fogs on all cars turn off when you turn on the Highs, its a safety feature for whatever reason. I'm glad you like the fogs, I knew you would.

Also, here's to Herb Chambers in Westboro, I got my Q50 RS from there!
Not sure if you met their GM James, I've gotten all my Infiniti's from him with the exception of my first 2007 G35 coupe.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:42 AM
G_Luv

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Goonz
Also, here's to Herb Chambers in Westboro, I got my Q50 RS from there!
Not sure if you met their GM James, I've gotten all my Infiniti's from him with the exception of my first 2007 G35 coupe.
I haven't met the GM, but I had a good experience with their sales team. Very pain free, and they cleaned up some minor cosmetic dings for me prior to me picking up the vehicle. It had a semi nasty ding on the front bumper, but their body guy did a fantastic job.

I only wish they were a bit closer to me, I live in Cambridge so making the trek out to Westboro every time I need service is a chore. Still the price I paid was hard to beat. I basically paid the same for my G with 17K miles in January as what I was seeing pricewise in the Boston area for G's with 10K+ more mileage. Buying out in the sticks pays!
Old 06-07-2017, 02:22 PM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks. Anyone have experience buying from retrofit source? They seem to have a lot of nice options...
i bought my fogs from diode and honestly am thrilled with them (XML2). I know this wasn't your original post but I got my fog's replaced for maybe $50 from a shop near me
Old 06-08-2017, 08:28 AM
nfsG37
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdigiorgio35
i bought my fogs from diode and honestly am thrilled with them (XML2). I know this wasn't your original post but I got my fog's replaced for maybe $50 from a shop near me
The XML2's may be something to compare to the Morimoto's in this thread ($120 vs $170). I'm sure they are considerably brighter than the factory halogens, but how is the beam pattern and light scatter on the XML2's? Is most of the light directed down lower, or does it scatter light up higher since it is an led in a halogen housing. I'm debating between the two, but don't want to blind oncoming drivers.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:44 PM
Rewsta
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question: do i need a resistor or can use just use a $20 LED eBay bulb ?
I like the Philips xTreme LED, but they're a bit pricey.

I had my lens pop out over the winter on the passenger side and just got around to replacing it last weekend.
Instead of $200 for an OEM Nissan fog housing, i picked up 2 of them from eBay for $27 including bulbs and shipped from China!
Installation is an absolute B@!@!#! on the passenger side. Windshield fluid reservoir is in the way and I couldnt get a grip with the 8mm socket.

No pix of the finished product. It's just nice shiny without stone chips now.
I still need to do the drivers side.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:50 PM
SoccerFlash5

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't need a resistor for the fogs.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:12 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Rewsta
Question: do i need a resistor or can use just use a $20 LED eBay bulb ?
I like the Philips xTreme LED, but they're a bit pricey.

I had my lens pop out over the winter on the passenger side and just got around to replacing it last weekend.
Instead of $200 for an OEM Nissan fog housing, i picked up 2 of them from eBay for $27 including bulbs and shipped from China!
Installation is an absolute B@!@!#! on the passenger side. Windshield fluid reservoir is in the way and I couldnt get a grip with the 8mm socket.

No pix of the finished product. It's just nice shiny without stone chips now.
I still need to do the drivers side.

[
You won't need a resistor. You'll also scatter light everywhere instead of aiming it down low at the road. You'll likely annoy people driving towards you. But it'll look fine I guess.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:29 PM
Rewsta
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Epiphany
You won't need a resistor. You'll also scatter light everywhere instead of aiming it down low at the road. You'll likely annoy people driving towards you. But it'll look fine I guess.
Dont the halogens bleed all over the place too ?
Old 06-10-2017, 07:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,729 Likes on 3,534 Posts
Originally Posted by Rewsta
Projects are always a PITA with the wrong tools. Try using a gear wrench on that bolt. And IDK how you had clearance to do the passenger side without lifting the corner or putting the front end up on ramps. I imagine there was a lot of swearing going on that day, LOL.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Rewsta
Registered Member

Wish i had known about that wrench. Lots of swearing for sure and my hand and forearm got chewed up really bad too. Gloves were useless.

I didnt jack up the car because I didnt really set out to replace fog housing. I was just doing some exploratory surgery to see how hard it would be to do.
Things just progressed from there.

I'll still need to go back in once i figure out what LED's to buy.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:18 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
When I returned my previous Q60 coupe, my LED fogs were the one item I didn't sell in the classifieds section. My friends has a 2015 Murano and her fogs are the same angle as mine so I was installing them when I encountered the same issue with the washer reservoir which basically halted me efforts. What I found odd was that the screws that hold the fog light in its mounting place, the head of the screws were towards the inside of the bumper rather than outside (which would have made it so easy to replace). Btw, would a gear wrench be able to reach the area covered by the reservoir?
Notice below how the mounting screws on my coupe were towards the outside.

Name:  FullSizeRender_2.jpg
Views: 5034
Size:  118.5 KB