Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Passenger side dashboard leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 09:27 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,336 Likes on 1,082 Posts
I have been dealing with this for a few months now. This post highlights my issue to a tee. Waiting for UPS to deliver the new cowls which, along with a "cover" I fashioned for the fresh air duct, should solve this issue.

If your cabin air filter is saturated then the windshield cowl seal has failed.

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2023, 10:50 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
I have been dealing with this for a few months now. This post highlights my issue to a tee. Waiting for UPS to deliver the new cowls which, along with a "cover" I fashioned for the fresh air duct, should solve this issue.

If your cabin air filter is saturated then the windshield cowl seal has failed.

Good luck!
Ugh, MORE places/ways for water to get in?!?

I found my passenger side flooded after the big rain storms we had recently, I assumed it to be the sunroof drain. But, now I know I need to check this path also!

WTF Nissan! My car is a 2014, but a few years ago, the driver's side door started leaking water at the tweeter. I fixed that with a new door seal.

I do notice small trails of water over my passenger side tweeter now, so it needs a door seal too.

I bought 3/8" tubing and 3/8"-1/2" tees to connect the forward sunroof drain to the AC condensate drain for this latest issue. I will still install it as it seems Nissan's firewall drain is defective on every model it's used on, but I will also diligently inspect the cowl now, as I have replaced the battery twice, and the last time I found the cowl assembly to be wonky.

The REAL issue will be when Nissan/Infiniti begins to obsolete these very necessary parts, such as the cowl and door seals. If we can't get them, especially the door seals, we'll have a difficult situation to deal with in the future.

Old 02-02-2023, 09:24 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,336 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Apparently these cowl leaks are prevalent across many brands including BMW, Merc, Ford and Jeep- not just Nissan. In our case, why Nissan decided to "re-invent" the fresh air intake duct to have it open "face up" as opposed to the slanted/ covered G35 version is beyond me. The G37 practically has a gaping hole just begging for water to pour in. Regardless, new cowls are here. I am just waiting for the butyl tape to arrive before I tackle this, again, hopefully once and for all.

That said,@takemorepills ,being you have a Coupe as well, you may want to peruse this thread which shows a possible culprit for the "tweeter leak." In my case, even after replacing the seals I still had that drip on the tweeter. Turns out the exterior A-pillar trim was "clogged" with dirt and debris. Just be careful, those pieces WILL break and are NOT cheap to replace (ask me how I know).
The following users liked this post:
takemorepills (07-27-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 07:29 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
So, I did 3 things to address the water leak on my Q60 today:

1. black RTV on amp cable through body harness boot. Probably not even a significant source of water, but, hey....I was in there, so may as well....
2. Cleaned out cowling and used black RTV gasket goo in place of the trashed foam rope.
3. Re-routed sunroof drains to condensate drain.

So...I hope this fixes it?

I really appreciate everyone else's documentation of their struggles with this crap. This is, IMO, engineering negligence on Nissan's part.
The way this car deals with water tightness is ridiculous. From the frameless windows, to the pathetic firewall drains and the ridiculous placement of the HVAC intake under the windshield lip.

It occurred to me, based on how much my defroster struggled and the massive amounts of condensation in my car, that the cowl was the most likely leak point.
Sure enough, when I tore my car apart and I removed the blower motor, parts of the blower motor are rusted, and there was water in the blower housing. The cabin filter wasn't as obviously water stained as others, as I had let my car dry out for weeks in the garage with a fan and heater in it. But there was still water in the housing. It must have just recently become a serious issue as my blower still functions and the rust isn't too bad. What happened in my car, the smegma that grows on cars in the PNW wet weather grew in the cowling gasket area, displacing the gasket and making a crusty, cakey mess of the bottom of the windshield and cowl gasket channel. This green goo (smegma) that grows in the PNW will cause all kinds of issues to vehicles kept outside. It fills door, hood and trunk channels, causing water to leak past seals. It gets between trim and body pieces, eventually causing them to separate.

I am not sure if I am even going to care about the slight leak at the tweeter. That doesn't let enough water in to even collect. The commute with the defrost running will handle that small amount of moisture.

What's really frustrating is that I've been excited for the new Z, and with Nissan recycling the platform for that car, what do you want to bet the new Z inherits the door seal and cowl issues? I'm 100% sure as the under hood shots show the exact same configuration as our cars, and the 370Z which also has this issue.
The Z won't have a sunroof, so that's good, but it still has frameless door glass.

Car is sitting in the rain right now. Interior still partially removed, I will keep an eye on it and see if my modifications are successful.
Old 07-26-2023, 03:04 PM
wrkls_
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gannicus
Hello All,
This post is to let you guys know a possible fix for this issue/how it has been handled by Infiniti. I feel this is something I had to share with my fellow G owners. The issue is still not resolved as of today.

Car: 2012 G37 Sedan, Sport 6MT, ~56k miles, Gray (or graphite?)
Warranty: Elite Protection Plan (Exp. 1/2021)
Problem: See pictures below

Here is a list of facts of what is happening:

1) The car has a water leak on the passenger side right under the dash which spills onto the carpet, there is not water anywhere else, I checked that many times because I searched the forums and saw some people mentioning the sunroof drains

2) On Thursday (1/12/2017) there was a small puddle on the carpet and when I drove the car, the dashboard stopped working; no speedometer, no rpm meter, no touchscreen, no turn signals, push-start button did not work, dashboard completely off (I wish I took a picture but I was pretty pissed so I was only thinking of getting it to the dealer)

3) I drove it to the dealer that sane morning (it was raining heavy in SoCal that week)

4) My service adviser informed me that the rubber grommet/wiring harness failed and therefore as a result: water leaked onto the computer that controls the dashboard and it was shorted (bcm/ecm)

5) I purchased the Infiniti Elite Protection Plan in 2015; based on that fact an inspector was scheduled to come out and decide whether to approve or deny the claim.

6) On 1/17/17 the inspector denied the warranty claim on the basis that rubber parts are not covered (this set me off big time)

7) I called the Infiniti Customer Service Number (spoke with Gil who was awesome and profesisonal) that same day of denial and said the following: I can understand things like weather stripping not being covered but as a result of this part failing, a critical part of the vehicle failed and made for unsafe driving conditions, furthermore, there is nothing I could have done to prevent this type of failure; this tells me that Infiniti does not stand behind it's product and would make me think twice before going with infiniti with my next car purchase.

8) The next day on 1/18/17, the service adviser called me to tell me that infiniti ended up approving the work after some engineers took a look at it and determined that it was an abnormal problem ($4800 repair estimate, 16 total hours of labor); they changed the wiring harness, the body control module and engine control module. I had a DampRid bag in the car so that some moisture/smell could be absorbed (worked like a charm).

9) The car took about 1.5 weeks to fix, I got my car back on Friday 1/27, all was well until this monday morning (more rain in SoCal, the pictures above); the dashboard and electronics seem to work fine but I took it to the dealer again before any damage can be done. The dealer warranties their work for 12 months so I don't have to pay anything.

And there is my situation. I am not sure how often this occurs but this is very concerning that this has happened twice in a row after a repair that extensive. The car is extremely fun to drive, I could not be happier with that department, but it is all for nothing if this keeps on happening. My biggest gripe is how an infiniti that is not even 5 years old leaked like this and my 2000 nissan sentra never even leaked. I saw others had the same problem and they mentioned a weld seam, which I mentioned to the service adviser but they ruled that out. I am now unfortunately stuck in a barebones rental Chrysler 200 (I can see why it is being cancelled, costs covered by the dealer).

I will keep you guys posted on this issue as it gets resolved. I really want to keep the car and not sell it to infiniti if that is an option (if I ever do I would rather it be to someone here). I have been documenting everything in case I need to take this further than the dealer and infiniti.

Any suggestions are welcome.

tl:dr water leak in my car is the gift that keeps on giving, dealer will foot the bill, my head hurts from being pissed off
I had a similar problem if you open the door and follow the weather strip and or seal near the bottom where it curves near where the water is idk why Nissan does this or at least in my car I found that they cut out a chunk of the seal so it curves smoothly around that are is my only logic but when it rains the water goes down the window seal along the door down by the hinges and gets in I got some wrapit silicone tape 3m weatherstrip permatex ultra black gasket maker oil resistant and a small spray can of flex seal and sealed it off inside and out on both sides even though it was just my passenger side that was soaked it costed me about $25 trust me follow your seals