Body Interior Exterior Lighting

G37 water leak, purchased about a week ago

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:14 PM
dreday1
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G37 water leak, purchased about a week ago

Hi all! I am new to the forum and I must say I am a proud G37 owner. I have fallen in love with the G37 over the past few months and decided to buy one. However, I am already running into issues less than 2 weeks after purchase

Background: 2 weeks ago I bought one used from a reputable dealer. They sold it "As is" which was a red flag for me, but a majority of their other G37's were also as-is due to mileage so it didn't seem too suspicious.

A few days after buying it there were a few thunderstorms with heavy rain. I didn't think anything of it at first, but the windows began fogging up when I wasn't in the car. After continuous fogging it was clear there was water in the car... so I checked the driver side floor. Bone dry. Then passenger side floor. Soaking wet. And the back floor was also wet.

I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion it was most likely sunroof drains, but could also be the gromet in the firewall or A/C dripping. Took it back to dealer, they said even though it was sold as-is they'd fix it since I had just bought the car.

I went back to pick up the car recently after they said it was "fixed and dried out". Before I left the dealer I felt the back floors and passenger floor. Passenger floor was still wet so I went back in and they said they'd take care of it soon. I also noticed the musty smell associated with mold...

From what I can garner from my research there is some sound insulation underneath the passenger side carpet that can absorb large amounts of water ( G35-G37 Water leaks - probable cause and solution - G35Driver ). I was able to get the surface of the carpet pretty dry a few times, but it seems water keeps seeping up from the foam underneath. I was going to take the carpet out myself and dry the foam but I don't know how without damaging it. I tried looking up how to do it online with no solid results. My car is currently at the dealer and it has been almost 10 days since I noticed the water leak. I am concerned after reading this link the car may never lose the moldy/mildew smell since it has been so long.

My questions are as follows:
Is it unreasonable to ask the dealer to replace the sound insulation & carpeting?
Is it too late to get rid of the smell? How should I go about this?
How do I remove the carpeting on the passenger side without damaging it?
If it is still leaking and they haven't fixed the root cause, what else could it be?

I am calling the dealer tomorrow and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2016, 12:57 AM
aeubank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all CONGRATS on your purchase!
I picked mine up a little over a month ago. 2013 sedan 6mt with what I am finding is all additional options even the sport wheels. Lovely cars for me so far with a minimal amount of issue. Dealer replaced PS pump under warranty and that was it.

Now, as for the water you've got to get to the bottom of where the water is coming from. Cars do leak especially ones that have sunroofs. Thing with a sunroof is they have many ways of draining off that water with drains at many of the corners and a tray to hold the excess water. If the leaking is isolated to the passengers side I would first check out the door seal. The door seal can fail and allow water to pass in some of the most sneaky ways. Especially at the top of the door.
I don't know to what extent the dealer is going to work with you but it never hurts to ask. I would take the car to a car wash (or do it at home) and try different ways to reproduce the leak with another person inside. Once you find the leak then you have something to present to the dealer. The door could be misaligned or the car involved in an accident (and not reported). All of these are things that can happen with used cars with no known history or relationship with a prior owner. Good news there is the door is adjustable. I would run a wooden paint stick or wedge along the body panel gaps to check for misalignment.

I also have a 2003 coupe model that had an issue with the drivers door lock that didn't hold up. I ended up replacing the lock part and it came with the entire assembly to include the latch. Taking the doors apart is a relative straight forward process I found as it took maybe 2 hours from start to finish with no manual, etc. Fast forward 10 years the doors should be similar in design.

Good luck
Old 12-14-2016, 09:04 AM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
I have not had any water problems with my G37, however, back a few years ago, my older G35 had at least 2" of water in the exact same places as yours. I drive it like that for a few days since I didn't know until the moldy odor.

Took out the passenger seat, lifted the carpet and took everything out. washed and dried everything.

You are right the smell of mold etc is hard to deal with.

However, something that did work for me:

I used an aluminum container put a whole bunch of charcoal briskets in it and left it in the car for about 2 weeks. Change out for fresh charcoal in about a week. This was during the warmer days of the year, but I have absolutely zero mold or any other odor in the car now.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:04 AM
dreday1
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by si_driver
I have not had any water problems with my G37, however, back a few years ago, my older G35 had at least 2" of water in the exact same places as yours. I drive it like that for a few days since I didn't know until the moldy odor.

Took out the passenger seat, lifted the carpet and took everything out. washed and dried everything.

You are right the smell of mold etc is hard to deal with.

However, something that did work for me:

I used an aluminum container put a whole bunch of charcoal briskets in it and left it in the car for about 2 weeks. Change out for fresh charcoal in about a week. This was during the warmer days of the year, but I have absolutely zero mold or any other odor in the car now.
How did you go about removing the carpet? Do you just rip it out from under the glove box?

I called the dealer and they aren't responding to my calls now. It looks like I'm going to have to fix it myself.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:32 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
I removed all the plastic molding pieces around the door edge and in right lower corner , and on the G35 the carpet in the front is only tied down with one plastic nut.

Once you remove all the plastic pieces, the carpet hooks on the body. You should be able to figure it out once the plastic is removed.