Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

DIY Headlight Fix Gone Wrong

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 10:38 AM
SwedishPimple

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY Headlight Fix Gone Wrong

After watching this video, I thought even an idiot could replace a worn out headlight.

Well, I was wrong. I got the old bulb out, but in the process of pinching the "hooks" to get the bulb to pop out, a piece of plastic broke that I believe holds the two "hooks" in place. Picture attached to illustrate the piece that broke.

Now, what are my options? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Headlight Fix Gone Wrong-headlight.jpg  
Old 11-20-2016, 11:27 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Oh, you're kinda screwed. No way the bulb will fit in place with that part broken. I think your only hope is to remove the entire headlight, find that part and epoxy it back on. Otherwise, you might have to buy an entire headlight (maybe a broken one off eBay) and swap the part over.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:04 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
My drivers headlight has one of those clips broken from the previous owner. I have one of the clips in place, and a dab of silicone on the other side with the spring wire bent around what's left of the clip and it holds it in place fine. It's a junk solution that looks like crap and I don't look forward to having to change the bulb next time, but it works.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:17 AM
SwedishPimple

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, guys. I figured I was in a bad spot. I may try to jimmy-rig it like Epiphany's example.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:54 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I have a old / broken left front headlight assembly for sale. It was working before being replaced. I think there are external broken tabs but internally everything was fine.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...headlight.html