Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 04:11 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
One other thing to keep in mind is you should pay close attention to the width of the seat at the widest part of the shoulder bolsters. Mine sit within millimeters of rubbing my B pillar and when I originally measured them I thought I was going to have plenty of clearance. Although the wide shoulder bolsters do make for a nice holder for the shoulder belts!

Name:  IMG_0339_zpsp3lv6vlm.jpg
Views: 2435
Size:  150.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0308_zpsyyiob4qd.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  117.3 KB
Old 05-09-2017, 04:18 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Good point! I originally thought the Sparco R333's were going to be way too wide from the pictures, but it turns out the measurements were actually a bit more narrow than some of the other seats.

Do you have that measurement for your seat just so I can compare. You are right, that looks really, really close!
Old 05-10-2017, 03:53 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Listed below are the complete dimensions for the Cobra Misano 30th Anniversary seats that I have. Shoulder bolters are 590 mm (~23-1/4 in) wide. Thankfully the Bride seat brackets had slotted mounting holes which allowed me to slide the seats as close to the center console as possible, otherwise those outer shoulder bolsters would be constantly rubbing the B pillars. Ideally you will want a seat that is 22" wide (so 1/2" more clearance per side) or less. Incidentally, Cobra would have custom made these to my specific dimensions at no additional charge if I had known in advance that they were going to be a tiny bit too wide. Oh well, live and learn!

Name:  TheMisano-S_spec2_zpsi4g0sdan.gif
Views: 1345
Size:  23.3 KBName:  Cobra%20Seat%20Dimensions_zpsvupupimc.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  279.7 KB
Old 05-10-2017, 04:01 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

FYI... It looks like the Corbeau A4 seats are about 21-1/2" at the shoulder bolster, so those pit just about perfectly with about 3/4" of extra clearance per side.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:53 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thanks for posting up the width of your seats. I found that sizing chart too as I remembered you had Cobra seats, but I could not remember the specific name to save my life.

Fortunately, the Sparco R333's are 520mm at the widest part of the shoulders or just shy of 20.5" so I should have plenty of room there like I do with the Corbeau's.

I seem to remember you telling me that you thought the weight of the seat rails and sliders was about 20lbs/seat Does that seem right? If it is I will still be saving some weight, but not quite as much as I had originally anticipated.

I have a guy who thinks he can fab up the seat base from scratch in steel or aluminum. I have a feeling he does not realize how much work this will be. In which case I would probably have to go with the Corbeau seats and get their seat base for the G37 coupe and then modify the driver's base to fit. (I think you said the passenger base for the coupe will fit the sedan?) Sparco only makes seat bases for the G35 so they are probably way off from a sedan. I hope the Corbeau bases sit lower than the Bride seat bases. Or maybe the Bride bases would fit Sparco seats and I could modify them to sit lower...
Old 05-11-2017, 03:25 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

I didn't actually think of weighing the Bride brackets along with the bottom mount adapter plates, but if I recall correctly the total shipping weight was around 20 lbs per box, so each bracket probably weighs around 15 - 18 lbs without all the packaging, etc...

The Bride brackets will fit most Sparco and/or Cobeau seats, you just need to confirm the mounting pattern and make sure it matched up with the ones listed in the below dimensional diagram.

Name:  Bride%20N109MO%20Seat%20Bracket_zpsqljvt5od.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  21.9 KB
Old 05-11-2017, 03:42 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
My track car has the SPARCO R600s. Good light seats with durable material. Be careful with SPARCO seats if you never sat in them, they tend to be a tight fit (though not as tight as Bride's). I'm 6'01" and 185lbs and I can't imagine someone much larger being able to sit comfortably in them for longer then 2 or 3 sessions on the track on a hot day.

I had A4s before the R660s and they were good seats save as you pointed out: the high wear areas. I eventually wore a hole in the left hip bolster from wear and tear after a couple years. Maybe a random act but it gave me merit to try SPARCO for my next seats and I haven't had an issue yet (save the 6 month lead time it took).
Old 05-11-2017, 04:45 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
If one wanted to replace their coupe seats would what is exactly needed? Seats obviously.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:32 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
If one wanted to replace their coupe seats would what is exactly needed? Seats obviously.
worded strangely, is your question.

All you need is the seat, rails & the airbag bypass thing.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:33 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
worded strangely, is your question.

All you need is the seat, rails & the airbag bypass thing.
What are brackets and sliders vs rails?
Old 05-11-2017, 05:45 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
I didn't actually think of weighing the Bride brackets along with the bottom mount adapter plates, but if I recall correctly the total shipping weight was around 20 lbs per box, so each bracket probably weighs around 15 - 18 lbs without all the packaging, etc...

The Bride brackets will fit most Sparco and/or Cobeau seats, you just need to confirm the mounting pattern and make sure it matched up with the ones listed in the below dimensional diagram.

Well, that might be the easiest route yet if the mounting pattern matches up.

Speaking of easy, were the modules you need to plug into on the driver's seat (one for the power mirrors and I think one for the seatbelt) impossible to get off of the factory seat without screwing up too much stuff? I ask because I believe you ordered these parts off of ebay or similar instead of taking them off of your factory seat.

Originally Posted by zer099
My track car has the SPARCO R600s. Good light seats with durable material. Be careful with SPARCO seats if you never sat in them, they tend to be a tight fit (though not as tight as Bride's). I'm 6'01" and 185lbs and I can't imagine someone much larger being able to sit comfortably in them for longer then 2 or 3 sessions on the track on a hot day.

I had A4s before the R660s and they were good seats save as you pointed out: the high wear areas. I eventually wore a hole in the left hip bolster from wear and tear after a couple years. Maybe a random act but it gave me merit to try SPARCO for my next seats and I haven't had an issue yet (save the 6 month lead time it took).
Good to know, thanks! I am roughly the same size as you and I have sat in Sparco seats before and noticed the same thing. Never an R333 though so I may be winging it a bit. I have been thinking of just ordering 1 seat first to make sure it is not too tight to be a passenger seat too. If it was, I could order a similar Sparco seat that is wider or a Corbeau A4 wide.

How did the Corbeau A4 fit you as far as width in the torso and thigh? I do not know exactly how they compare as all of their measurements are just for the outside of the bolsters. Good measurements to make sure they fit in the car ok, but garbage as far as trying to figure out how they will fit me.

Did you have the Corbeau cloth or suede A4 seats? I was more concerned with the somewhat cheap appearance those high wear "patches" give to the seat than how they wear, but that is a good point too. (They remind me of elbow patches on old sport coats.) I noticed the suede A4 seats have leather patches instead of vinyl like they have on the cloth version, so maybe they will hold up a little better.

First, be super stoked that you have a coupe as seat brackets are a lot easier to come by.

Then you just need to decide if you want a dedicated fixed position racing seat that will attach to side mount seat brackets and be fixed in place. This is usually a lighter seat and rail combo, but not the greatest for daily driving.

If you want a tilting sport seat you will probably also need sliders so you can adjust the seat forward and backward.

If the coupe seat wiring is like the sedan, then the rest of the stuff you need will be in the earlier posts in this thread. It basically boils down to wiring in a relay for the side air bag sensors, either a plug in or spare occupant classification sensor for the passenger seat, and 2 more plug-ins for the driver's seat- one for the power mirrors and I forget the 2nd one.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:46 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

What are brackets and sliders vs rails?
Brackets or rails mount to the car. Sliders go between the brackets or rails and the seat so that it can slide forward and backward.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:20 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ

How did the Corbeau A4 fit you as far as width in the torso and thigh? I do not know exactly how they compare as all of their measurements are just for the outside of the bolsters. Good measurements to make sure they fit in the car ok, but garbage as far as trying to figure out how they will fit me.

Did you have the Corbeau cloth or suede A4 seats? I was more concerned with the somewhat cheap appearance those high wear "patches" give to the seat than how they wear, but that is a good point too. (They remind me of elbow patches on old sport coats.) I noticed the suede A4 seats have leather patches instead of vinyl like they have on the cloth version, so maybe they will hold up a little better.
The A4 was looser then the R600. Not like slap around loose, but I fit more easily into it where the R600 I sort of form into. It was most noticeably roomier in the shoulders, the A4 that is. And I had the cloth A4, and yea they were these sort of weird vinyl /pleather pieces in the bolsters. Also, they did sun fade pretty easily. Or at least over the years of use. Didn't notice until I took them out; but again that is only with the cloth, not the suede. The suede should not only "grip" you better but might also have better high wear patches, as you pointed out.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by zer099
The A4 was looser then the R600. Not like slap around loose, but I fit more easily into it where the R600 I sort of form into. It was most noticeably roomier in the shoulders, the A4 that is. And I had the cloth A4, and yea they were these sort of weird vinyl /pleather pieces in the bolsters. Also, they did sun fade pretty easily. Or at least over the years of use. Didn't notice until I took them out; but again that is only with the cloth, not the suede. The suede should not only "grip" you better but might also have better high wear patches, as you pointed out.
Ok, good to know about the fitment. Have you ever sat in a Sparco Chrono Road? I passed over it as I did not know it was available in cloth until a guy at Sparco recommended it, but he is probably a bit wider than me.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So I just spoke to a rep at Sparco and a rep at Corbeau with some questions. It looks like the Sparco seats will match up to the Bride rails exactly as they are all 271x345. Bonus! Thank you 2GoRNot2G.

Corbeau had their dimensions in inches 11 3/8 x 13". The 13" is front to back and translates to 330.2 mm so that should match up. The 11 3/8" is 288.925 mm so I am assuming they will match up or I may have to modify the holes slightly.

The guy at Corbeau said their seat rails with slider are only 8-10 lbs so if the Bride rails really are 15-18 lbs, that means the Corbeau A4 with their rails could weigh as much at 15 lbs less per seat. However, this would also mean that I would need to pick up coupe seat rails and try to have them modified to fit.

The guy I talked to at Sparco also recommended I take a look at the Chrono Road seat. I had previously passed on this seat because I thought it was only in vinyl according to their website, but it is available in cloth.

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?