Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 08:48 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I finally got the Sparco R600 seat for my passenger side and installed it yesterday. I shaved almost another 20 lbs out of the car and gained a much more comfortable and supportive seat. I now also have a back up seat that I can swap to the driver's side if I ever start to wear out my seat. However, this is not a simple "plug and play" option if you plan to do something similar in your sedan. Give yourself at least a few hours for each seat for all of the screwing around.

The longest wait is for the Bride seat rails. They are the only ones that fit the sedan and they take 2-3 months to get on special order from Japan. Once you get the seat rails, they require some modifications as well.

If you get the same seat you will first need to enlarge two of the mounting holes on the bottom. You will also need to match up the wide thick steel support plates with the mounting holes on your seat since these rails are designed to fit a number of different seats. Mounting these plates is also a bit difficult because you have to slide the rails forward and backward to get to the mounting holes. Easiest to do if you stand the rails up on their end and slide it up and down. Keep a rag close by as you will get grease all over your hands as you try to thread on the nuts.

Edit: I made the mistake of copying and posting my pics rather than downloading them from my PC and they all got erased so I will keep up descriptions of the process, but the only pics I have are of the seats installed.

The Sparco seat comes with no mounting hardware so be sure to pick this up. I believe it is M8 x 1.25 coarse thread. Get them a bit longer than the 2 tapered head mounting bolts that come with the Bride seat rails. You will also need to re-tap the threads on the Sparco seat if you want to have any chance of mounting up the seat rails.

Once you have the seat rails assembled you will need to remove the seat slider to access the mounting holes for the front of the seat. Be careful as it is very easy to pinch your fingers, especially when you reinstall the seat slider.

After you get the factory seat out and slice up your fingers trying to release all of the wiring that needs to stay in the car, you will realize you still need to remove all of the wiring for the seatbelt. I was able to save all of the mounting clips except for one that I might have been able to get if I had raised the seat all the way up before I unplugged everything. Not worth it at this point.

Fortunately, the Bride seat rails include new mounting hardware for the seat belt. Just be careful trying to cinch it up as the bolt on the inside is a 24 mm that is roughly 1/5 the width of a normal bolt. Good luck trying to get this thing tight without your wrench slipping off. I only smashed my hand once and considered it a win.

Before you tighten down the bolts to mount the seat to the rails on the seat belt side make sure you slide the wiring for the seat belt between the seat and rails. (Don't feel bad- I forgot to do this on both seats.)

Now you get to plug the seat belt back into the wire on the top. The yellow wires in the middle had a plug that I cut out and now have a 2.2 ohm 2 watt resistor wired in to trick the car into thinking the side air bags are still there. I am still trying to figure out if this is the right type of resistor from when I installed the 1st seat... You will also need the Nissan 360 module to plug in to fool the passenger seat weight sensor. Even with that you will still need to always have the seat belt buckled or buy a fake buckle to keep clipped in to avoid lights on the dash.

And here they are both installed. (Note the fake buckle in the seat belt clip) So far so good- no lights on the dash... goes to knock on wood and cross fingers for good luck.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 08-07-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:16 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Hey guess what? The stupid airbag light is back on AGAIN!?! I guess the 2W resistors made no difference and did not even last 4 full months before throwing a light. I really wish someone with a 2013 G37S sedan had aftermarket seats and a solution to this seemingly simple problem. Looks like I might try the Bride airbag canceller next.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:20 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Dang man. I'm still waiting for my rails haha month 2!
Old 11-18-2019, 06:07 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Dang man. I'm still waiting for my rails haha month 2!
I bet they are close. It is usually about 2-3 months. Let me know if you have any questions with the install.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:13 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I bet they are close. It is usually about 2-3 months. Let me know if you have any questions with the install.
Awesome thank you!
Old 12-15-2019, 01:44 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

A few weeks ago my airbag light came on again!?! Bride makes a "side air bag canceller" for Nissan that is 2.0 ohms and looks just like a resistor, but they are $20 ea. at Evasive Motorsports (I see they are about $15 ea. at Nengun). 2 ohm 2 watt resistors are only $5 for 30 of them at Amazon so I am giving these a whirl first and installed them about a week ago. I can guarantee you that 4.7 ohm, 2.2 ohm 1/2 watt, and 2.2 ohm 2 watt resistors do NOT work for a 2013 G37S sedan with the 6 spd. manual. I really hope these work.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:33 PM
ToXIc
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 79 Posts
hey guys do anyone know if the 370z seat mounting points line up with the Sedans?
Old 01-22-2020, 02:36 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ToXIc
hey guys do anyone know if the 370z seat mounting points line up with the Sedans?
Unfortunately they do not and neither do the G37 coupe rails. The only aftermarket rails that are known to fit the sedan are from Bride. You can get them from Evasive motorsports on special order from Japan so they take a few months to get. I have them in my car mounted to Sparco seats and they work well.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:12 AM
ToXIc
Registered Member

Awesome thanks for the info. I believe the juke nismo is a recaro bottom so the bolt pattern should match up but what about the 370z nismo bottom? Any ideas if it may?
Old 01-23-2020, 05:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Awesome thanks for the info. I believe the juke nismo is a recaro bottom so the bolt pattern should match up but what about the 370z nismo bottom? Any ideas if it may?
It might take quite a bit of googling to find the bolt pattern on those seats. But even if you do, be prepared for them not to fit. The bolt pattern on the Bride rails and my Sparco seats was supposed to be identical, but it definitely was not. I still had to drill out one hole on each seat bracket to get it to fit the seat. It is almost like they use different mm in Italy and Japan.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:57 PM
ToXIc
Registered Member

urg well thats great
Old 01-24-2020, 12:02 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

urg well thats great
You will probably also need all new hardware to secure the seats to the rails since they were never designed to work together. It is a bit of trial and error, but definitely worth it when you consider the fact that those bolts are all that keep the seats attached in an accident.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:30 PM
ToXIc
Registered Member

hey 4DRZ what about just brackets are the g37 coupe and sedan the dame mounting points? I got me a pair of Nismos.. they have the rails already i can drill out the riveted mounting points and use a seat bracket. i've emails a few companies because i can only find brackets for the coupe.

edit: i reread the thread and apparently the coupe and sedan are different

Last edited by ToXIc; 02-01-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:52 PM
ToXIc
Registered Member

i've put out a bunch of email to different manufactured to see if they have just a sedan bracket as the Nismo's have the rails already on them and looks like i just need to drill the rivets off the 370z mounting points and bolt on some brackets.
how far apart is the coupe's brackets vs the seadans locations? if anything i can just get them and mod it a little.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:22 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

i've put out a bunch of email to different manufactured to see if they have just a sedan bracket as the Nismo's have the rails already on them and looks like i just need to drill the rivets off the 370z mounting points and bolt on some brackets.
how far apart is the coupe's brackets vs the seadans locations? if anything i can just get them and mod it a little.
I am curious to see your solution without actually buying new rails that bolt directly to the seat. What about your oem sedan brackets does not work with the Nismo seat rails? If you start cutting stuff up and going custom, just remember that whatever you do could affect how well the seat stays attached in an accident. Don't cut any corners as there is way more force in an accident than you would ever think.

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?