Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Fuel Door Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 12:05 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Fuel Door Won't Open

So I had an embarrassing moment this weekend when my fuel door wouldn't open at the pump. The attendant and I tried several methods of trying to get it to work (owner's manual recommended steps, turning the engine on/off and unlocking doors, unlocking doors via driver/passenger side, unlocking doors with manual key on exterior and then unlocking w/ key fob), but it's still locked in a position where it's slightly open but won't budge, even if you try to gently pry it with a credit card or key.

I dug up the thread below for the G35, but not many people seem to have the issue on this forum. Can anyone point me in the right direction before I take out the trunk liner? If I need to replace the fuel door actuator, a part number for the 2010 coupe would be highly appreciated!

I have about 200 miles left in my tank so I should be okay until the weekend. 56,750 miles on the clock so I'm not sure if warranty still covers this.

DIY: Fuel Door Actuator Lock Removal / Clean-Lube / Replacing - G35Driver

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe/208839-fuel-door-not-opening.html
Old 05-09-2016, 12:09 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Have you tried pushing in on the fuel door simultaneously to unlocking with the keyfob?
The locking hinge might just be hung
Old 05-09-2016, 12:21 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
Yet another reason having someone else pump your gas is a terrible idea...
but really think the hinge is just hung incorrectly
Old 05-09-2016, 12:33 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Have you tried pushing in on the fuel door simultaneously to unlocking with the keyfob?
The locking hinge might just be hung
Yup, I'vetried pushing the fuel door simultaneously to lock and then unlock. I'll try every combination again but I really wished that Infiniti just made a manual latch like every other car...
Old 05-09-2016, 12:39 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
This happened to me once with my g35 coupe way back in the day and it turned out to be my hinge wasn't hung correctly. I seriously almost ripped the damn thing off from how angry I was lol ahhh the memories of first being introduced to the Infiniti world lol.

On a side note now you can sell me your new ipl wheels and pay for the fix worth a shot lol
Old 05-09-2016, 12:44 PM
timc00k

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
This actually happened to me last week. I spent 20 minutes trying to pull the darn thing and it wouldn't come off. I almost wanted to break it apart (LOL)

And then I turned the car back on and turned it off and the hinge just popped. Not sure why is that but I was able to finally put some gas.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:46 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kennyz424
This happened to me once with my g35 coupe way back in the day and it turned out to be my hinge wasn't hung correctly. I seriously almost ripped the damn thing off from how angry I was lol ahhh the memories of first being introduced to the Infiniti world lol.

On a side note now you can sell me your new ipl wheels and pay for the fix worth a shot lol
So you fixed it by forcing it off? I guess I'll try to pry it off with a microfiber and flathead later tonight.

Good try, but I'm loving the fatter tires and won't be able to go back to stock now
Old 05-09-2016, 12:48 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Originally Posted by VenomGT9
Yet another reason having someone else pump your gas is a terrible idea...
but really think the hinge is just hung incorrectly
If I had a choice, I'd pump my own gas. Living in NJ definitely has its positives and negatives
Old 05-09-2016, 01:13 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Originally Posted by kickintheglass
So you fixed it by forcing it off? I guess I'll try to pry it off with a microfiber and flathead later tonight.

Good try, but I'm loving the fatter tires and won't be able to go back to stock now
Yup forced it open and it worked attendant and the issue never came back.

Originally Posted by kickintheglass
If I had a choice, I'd pump my own gas. Living in NJ definitely has its positives and negatives
My family runs a chain of Exxon gas stations also in the northern part of NJ and whether or not I fill up there or anywhere else I always full my own gas lol Just tell the guy you want to do it if your paying cash so he swipes his activation card for you and if you're using a credit card you don't even need the attendant.

I always pump my own especially after my vinyl wrap job. Last thing I want is a gas attendant overflowing my tank and having it spill all over my wrap!
Old 05-09-2016, 02:06 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Sometimes you just can't win.

I've had several occasions where the pump shuts off prematurely. Have to play with the nozzle to get it to pump. I think it has to do with the vapor recovery system in the nozzle. Some are more sensitive than others.

Annoying when you know the tank is empty, yet it clicks off at 1/4 gal been pumped.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:16 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

So the problem fixed itself. I unlocked my car with the key fob after lunch today and the door popped open. To my amazement it started working again as intended. I'm not sure if I should bother tampering with it since I might just un-fix it lol...

Originally Posted by kennyz424
I always pump my own especially after my vinyl wrap job. Last thing I want is a gas attendant overflowing my tank and having it spill all over my wrap!
I'll be sure to try this next time I fill up. Hopefully, Costco attendants will understand and let me do their job for them
Old 05-09-2016, 02:20 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Damn even Costco has attendants?!
Hope I never have to drive through jersey again...
Old 05-09-2016, 06:37 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
My one experience with it, I just used the fob to unlock the doors and the gas cover unlocked too.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:59 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Sometimes you just can't win.

I've had several occasions where the pump shuts off prematurely. Have to play with the nozzle to get it to pump. I think it has to do with the vapor recovery system in the nozzle. Some are more sensitive than others.

Annoying when you know the tank is empty, yet it clicks off at 1/4 gal been pumped.
This only happens to me at certain stations in my area... All of them happen to be BP stations. Ive never had the issue at Exxon. Mobile, or Shell. the only other gas stations (well.. sometimes Hess) I will use.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:39 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Shell or nothing