Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

heated seat control sticks

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:19 PM
jimv

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heated seat control sticks

have a 2011 G37 Vert just bought and while the right side seat heater **** clicks nicely with little effort through the six settings the driver side almost needs a wrench to turn.

Since I am new to this car - only 24K miles.. is it possible someone poured diet coke into it or are they known to stick, I am handy with a soldering iron but have no idea how to replace it etc. or maybe a warranty item? Other than the lovely rattles which I have learned to like as its a convertible doncha know.. love the car and cant wait til summer.
The following users liked this post:
Mr Nurner (03-21-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 11:49 PM
bigc

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
i have the same issue with mine. some days its butter smooth, other days it sticks. i think it may have something to do with whether you use the center console to support your weight when entering/exiting the vehicle. right now, the switch is working smoothly for me so i haven't thought about it much lately.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:32 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
If it doesn't feel like it's binding on the console, you could try taking it apart and cleaning underneath it with a contact cleaner.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:07 AM
jimv

I do sometimes put weight on the console when sliding into the cockpit. Hmm. Also will look into taking it apart if I can figure that out and put some contact cleaner on it which I do have. Will post a reply if successful. Mine is mostly sticky now but worse when cold.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:53 PM
jimv

Follow up and solution

I found out by grabbing the dial and rocking it left and right and back and forth it makes a little cracking noise and then I can rotate the dial again. Something plasticky may be binding and this releases it for a while. I know not a permanent fix but gets me my heated seats again.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:32 PM
Pnrymmf
Premier Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I had to replace the passenger button and wiring harness a couple times. That side worked a little bit and would stop. they ended up ordering a total new seat bottom that has the works in it to do cooling and heating. now is fine. my driver side worked great when I first got but had a small coke episode with my goofy golden retriever. no much got on the *** but every since then it has affected the force to turn it. is usually less in summer when the syrup is hot I guess. has never stopped working and im hoping it will finally "cook" off.lol I hate it when I do dump Xss stuff.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:38 PM
jimv

Thanks for the update and your experience. Yeap, I am living with it, we'll see what the warm weather brings.. was tempted to put some WD40 or something down there but it does work so best to let it be! : ) just realllly hard to turn in winter. It does heat up the seats nicely, was not a fan initially but diggin the warmth now.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:15 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Someone has spilled a liquid on it that makes it not work properly or it is messed up internally. Spillage happens a lot near cup holders. It's a very poor design to have any moveable switches near a cup holder. It has nothing to do with weight on the center console at all.