Connect joycon to steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 07:28 AM
3zouz3
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connect joycon to steering wheel

Hello
How to connect joycon EXR to g steering wheel?
I watched dozens of vids of utube but none of them really showed the method.
I am not planning actually to remove my steering wheel..

There mught be a connecter somewhere as per other forum.
But i cdnt locate it

Appreciate ur help
Old 01-07-2016, 03:44 AM
AKHuff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just started to look into this also. I think the only information we're going to find is in the FSM. There's a thread on here for it Find your year and model in that nicoclub link then open AV.pdf for the Audio Visual, on page 277 it shows the connector and terminal numbers for an A & B circuit for the steering wheel controls... That's as far as I've go but that's gotta be all we need to know aside from finding them in the dash... I'm collecting all the pieces to install a 2012 Nexus 7 in the dash by the end of the month.

I pulled up the AV file for the 2013 G37x Sedan.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:18 AM
AKHuff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JoyCon Exr Installed

Got the Joycon Exr hooked up and working using the FSM as my guide...

The wiring harness I spliced into to for the Bose Non-Nav was located on the bottom passenger side of the AV Control unit right behind the A/C controls.

- You will need to disconnect and pull the AV unit to have plenty of space. My suggestion would be put the vehicle in gear with the E brake on then shut the ignition off - you do not want to hit the ignition switch at all with all this crap unplugged... once you disconnect the top set of wires to the white secondary part of the AV unit you will not be able to turn the ignition off if you accidentally start the car, then you'll have to plug those top 2 plugs back in with the vehicle running to turn it off and you may blow a fuse... Oh Yes I learned my lesson. Just for a FYI - I've learned reading in the FSM that the AV unit is still working up to 30 seconds after the car is shut off... and you want to wait 3 minutes after shutting your car off to pull the battery because 'Whatever' is happening - I did not pull the battery for this. Watch your center console the AV will scratch it up so cover it up and be careful pulling it out.

Identify the plug with terminals 1-20. It's unique so very easy.

Pulled from FSM AV-218

The following page 219 shows the description - The steering controls are broken into switch A & B. Both switches use a common ground terminal 15 Black - the signal wires are 6 Pink (Switch A) and 16 Light Blue (Switch B).

FSM-AV Page 278 shows the resistance range of each of the buttons - A/B are mirrored. This could come in handy if the auto detect feature of the Joycon software doesn't work for some reason.

There's all the data now hooking up the Joycon Exr... I took two grounds from the Joycon stripped a bit and twisted those together since we'll be hooking into the common ground. I wanted to leave the ground in the harness intact just incase something else was using it so I used a quick splice to tap the Joycon ground into it.

The white wires from the Joycon are the signal wires. I did not want the steering wheel controls to operate anything stock so I straight cut the two wires - terminal 6 pink wire & 16 Blue wire - There is plenty of slack in that harness so I cut back with plenty of length. Added quick connects on the harness heading away from the stock plug towards the switch then quick connects on the Joycon white wires for channels A & B. I'll easily be able to to restore to stock like this.

Tape the Joycon up, run your USB, plug it into a laptop and fire up the software then configure whatever your trying to do. If your going to Android the symbol pad with volume up and whatnot are functions you can link to or you can pull up some config file for the keyboard in the sys folder somewhere in Android and figure out how to map to Fn keys...

Just need the RGB emulator to grab the stock video signal and I'll have my 2012 N7 completely integrated into the car...