Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

dash noises

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 02:15 PM
R3M1NGTON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good stuff. I'm glad there are other people out there with attention to details like this.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:34 PM
dwb993
Premier Member

Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
i thought i ordered 6', but i received about 20'.

i think our cars are twins.
Wanna sell me 2 meters worth?
Old 12-22-2015, 08:59 PM
R3M1NGTON

I would buy 6' off somebody who has extra.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:52 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by ugen1x
This is where my noises were coming from -- Took Infiniti three different visits to figure out what I was talking about because of how randomly it would exhibit itself. It used to be related to how hot it was outside, now it's starting to happen again 6 months later but on the driver's side and based on how cold it is (colder the louder). It is most definitely the plastic cowl under the wipers on the outside of the car. The felt backing wears out and/or you get dirt particles under there that end up rubbing against glass and causing a very annoying type of noise.
yes and most prominently after you have used your washers. Had the same issue on my '08 and now my '12. Fixed on my 08 by removing the cowl, cleaning and then installing felt
Old 12-22-2015, 09:56 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
pics of J-trim ... ignore dirty car

Brilliant!
Old 01-16-2016, 11:05 AM
symphx
Registered Member

Hi all forgive my ignorance, I have read every single post on this subject, and know I have the same problem. (new to me 17k mile g37) recently started raining, and recent major work on my steering column buzzing/rattle noise on bumps) get it back from dealer, windowshield noise.

I assume they either did something (tightened things) or coincidence with the rain, which started same time. TO THE QUESTION!

I like the idea of not having to remove anything, in the pic above does one still end up removing wipers, engine compartment panels etc? Or was that weather stripping somehow wedged in; My plastic thing is UNMOVABLE. Which has to be done apply something to the top or bottom of the cowl?

Last edited by symphx; 01-16-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:14 AM
symphx
Registered Member

Originally Posted by timc00k
I believe the issue you're experiencing is squeaky noise coming from the cowl. There is a huge thread (it's stickied) about how to fix this yourself. It's almost like "popping" noise that comes from the windshield.

I think the original pictures from that thread are gone. So yesterday I bought a sheet of felt from Michael's ($1) and cut small rectangle pieces and placed it where the sound was coming from. I used a thin paperclip to push it in there. It hasn't been making any noises.

Do you mean you removed nothing and shoved some felt to lift the cowl where the windshield visibly meets it (the superior aspect)? if so wont that let rain in?
Old 01-16-2016, 11:21 AM
symphx
Registered Member

i bought some J-shape rubber trim on ebay - no need to remove wipers or even the driver side plastic cowl - just remove connectors to make it loose and tuck the stuff in.

i now have another dash noise - i think a pen or something fell behind my glovebox, and i can hear something sliding around back there when i make turns. reached behind, but can't feel anything. will be taking glovebox apart today ...
How and where are these connectors you had to loosen? Are they only visible after removing the other covers engine covers people mention? thanks
Old 01-16-2016, 04:04 PM
dwb993
Premier Member

Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by symphx
How and where are these connectors you had to loosen? Are they only visible after removing the other covers engine covers people mention? thanks
Page EXT-23 of the FSM has the best picture I can find.

There are 4 "bitch" clips you have to pop to loosen the cowl. If looking at the engine from the front, two will be just above the top left and right corners of the engine cover. The other two are near the hood hinges. Look just below the struts and you will see a plastic side cover partially obscuring a bitch clip on a piece of plastic underneath (the cowl piece). You should be able to get to them to pop them.

You may be able to complete the job without messing with the side clips at all. I have not tried it yet. YMMV

I confirmed all of this on my car. Just need to order the weatherstrip.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:05 PM
symphx
Registered Member

Has anyone confirmed doing something to the TOP of the cowl helps? My impression is the noise is likely at the bottom, where the windshield hits the body; eg. is this a cowl noise or a true windshield against body noise?
Old 01-18-2016, 09:14 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by symphx
Has anyone confirmed doing something to the TOP of the cowl helps? My impression is the noise is likely at the bottom, where the windshield hits the body; eg. is this a cowl noise or a true windshield against body noise?
Confirmed.

My cowl was popping and snapping, sounded like I was riding behind a truck kicking up tiny rocks. The colder it got the more frequent the noises.

I installed Landshark's J-strip last night and today it was 20 degrees. Not a peep.

Looks totally OEM:
Name:  EE35B16F-EAA2-4150-989E-BCBBFB4538A6.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  177.3 KB

I paid $8.24 for 6.5' on ebay.(http://www.ebay.com/itm/272056947494?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)
Didn't have to remove the wiper arms. I only had to disconnect the pop pins and shift the cowls a bit.

It was a real tight fit stuffing the strip under the middle sections. But it seals nicely.

I noticed my '07 FX35 has a very similar strip in the same place. Needless to say it never had the popping noise.
The following users liked this post:
dwb993 (01-18-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 08:45 PM
timc00k

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by bikezilla
Confirmed.

My cowl was popping and snapping, sounded like I was riding behind a truck kicking up tiny rocks. The colder it got the more frequent the noises.
Is it easy to install? Do I just pull out the current one I have and stick the new one in?
Old 01-19-2016, 11:06 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Is it easy to install? Do I just pull out the current one I have and stick the new one in?
you take off the cover over the battery and the one on the otherside, then remove the plastic pop-it clips so the cowl pieces are loose.
then with the plastic cowl pieces loose, stuff the thin part of the J trim under the edge of it so that the hooked edge rests against the top of the cowl. lube it with protectant to slide it in easier. the middle area is a little tight, but at least you dont have to deal with the PITA of removing the wiper arms. took me about 10 minutes going slow.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:50 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
It is technically easy. One thing is sliding the strip in under the edge of the cowl is really tight and difficult in the center of the window.

This is because the cowl is held in place by a slide pin and catch on the windshield. You cannot see the catch. It directly under the mid-section split between the left and right cowls. They snap together there but also catch a slide pin on the windshield. Have a look at the field service manual for a better idea of what I am describing. (I think there is a diagram in the windshield popping noise thread.)

Anyway, you don't have to actually remove the wiper arms or the cowl itself. Just pull off the 6" weather strip on the lower corner of the windshield, remove all the clips described above and slide the cowl down enough to wedge the weatherstrip in place.

Between the pictures and diagrams in the other thread you should understand clearly once you actually get started.

Take your time and don't force anything other than the weatherstrip.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:11 AM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by dwb993
Page EXT-23 of the FSM has the best picture I can find.

You may be able to complete the job without messing with the side clips at all. I have not tried it yet. YMMV
I bought some of this stripping and got it under the cowl without loosening any clips. Just lifted it up slightly with a narrow flathead and pressed the strip in there with my fingers and then the screwdriver when it got stubborn. FWIW, my popping is not solved so I'll probably be taking off the clips soon and doing it the right way. Worth a shot I guess

Quick Reply: dash noises