Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Need definitive answer about lights (frustrated)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 11:50 AM
jaylock92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need definitive answer about lights (frustrated)

Okay I have a 2011 G37 Coupe Journey. My headlights are a bright white, and my fog lights are yellowish. I want both headlights and fog lights to be the same color, 6500k. I know the headlights are HID, are the fog lights not? The owners manual says the fog lights are H11, I ordered H11 HID bulbs and they do not come close to fitting. However, I looked up H8 HID bulbs and they look identical to my fog light bulbs.

Now, I ordered 6500 D2S bulbs for the headlights. The owners manual says my fogs are 55 watt, but it does not say what kind of light (halogen, HID). If I get 6500k fog light bulbs and they are being pushed by 50w ballast they will not be the same color as my 35w headlights.

Can someone give me a definitive answer on WHAT kind of bulbs my fog lights are, what kind of POWER is pushing them, and what the heck i need to do to get my headlights and fog lights both 6500k? I've online chatted with people on theretrofitsource.com multiple times and they keep giving me conflicting answers. I'm doing everything I can to avoid taking it to a dealer because I know I can save hundreds of dollars if I could just get the right information.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:09 PM
MidlifeCrisis
Not a cheap hobby to have

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jaylock92
Okay I have a 2011 G37 Coupe Journey. My headlights are a bright white, and my fog lights are yellowish. I want both headlights and fog lights to be the same color, 6500k. I know the headlights are HID, are the fog lights not? The owners manual says the fog lights are H11, I ordered H11 HID bulbs and they do not come close to fitting. However, I looked up H8 HID bulbs and they look identical to my fog light bulbs.

Now, I ordered 6500 D2S bulbs for the headlights. The owners manual says my fogs are 55 watt, but it does not say what kind of light (halogen, HID). If I get 6500k fog light bulbs and they are being pushed by 50w ballast they will not be the same color as my 35w headlights.

Can someone give me a definitive answer on WHAT kind of bulbs my fog lights are, what kind of POWER is pushing them, and what the heck i need to do to get my headlights and fog lights both 6500k? I've online chatted with people on theretrofitsource.com multiple times and they keep giving me conflicting answers. I'm doing everything I can to avoid taking it to a dealer because I know I can save hundreds of dollars if I could just get the right information.

The fogs are not HID. If you want them to match you would have to buy an HID conversion kit from a vendor such as Diode Dynamics or VLED's. Then choose the color temp that matches your headlights. I bought new bulbs for the headlights so that the fogs would match perfectly. Be sure to get the relay harness for the fog light HID upgrade kit so that you are running them as safe as possible.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:12 PM
MidlifeCrisis
Not a cheap hobby to have

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Or you could buy LED fog light bulbs that are listed as the color temp you want. However, IMO, they do not match perfectly.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:01 PM
malady

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
also make you don't get the cheap D2S bulbs or else you will have to flick your headlight on and off 3 times to get both sides to light up >_<
Old 07-08-2015, 03:14 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You do not have to get an HID conversion kit. I installed Blue Halogen H11's and even put a protective film over the outside lens of the fixture so that rocks won't damage it.
Pure (Company name) Nitro Blue bulbs H11. I also changed my head lights to high quality HID 6500 Kelvin (color) and my DRLs the inside bulb that is yellowish low wattage to LEDs Also 6500K Putco plasma lEDs in the same color...I love the look...and not expensive too.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:27 PM
jaylock92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced the stock headlights with HIDs, and I replaced the parking lights with leds. I have read that I can replace the fogs with leds as well. Are the h11 led replacement bulbs truly plug n play? I would much rather spend 40 bucks doing that than do an entire hid conversion kit just for the fogs. There would be a lot less heat output that way as well correct? I just want to make sure it works before I order the wrong stuff again.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:41 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by jaylock92
I replaced the stock headlights with HIDs, and I replaced the parking lights with leds. I have read that I can replace the fogs with leds as well. Are the h11 led replacement bulbs truly plug n play? I would much rather spend 40 bucks doing that than do an entire hid conversion kit just for the fogs. There would be a lot less heat output that way as well correct? I just want to make sure it works before I order the wrong stuff again.
Stock headlights are HID .... about 4300 kelvin
Old 07-09-2015, 06:28 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Jaylock...my fogs are H11 Halogen in Blue as I mentioned earlier....Nitro Blue however they are close to color temperature 6500K in fact all the lights up front that I replaced are. around that color temp. Blueish white....very cool color...Not too blue...like the early HIDs from 10 years ago.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:37 PM
Randy Johnson
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MidlifeCrisis
Or you could buy LED fog light bulbs that are listed as the color temp you want. However, IMO, they do not match perfectly.
Ha I tried LEDs and they don't fit in the fog socket. Too fat.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:38 PM
Randy Johnson
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by malady
also make you don't get the cheap D2S bulbs or else you will have to flick your headlight on and off 3 times to get both sides to light up >_<
Ha this happened to me too!!!!
Old 07-10-2015, 10:02 AM
xorbitman
Registered Member

My fogs are blue halogen bulbs they are not LEDs. G37 coupes have OEM daytime lights which are next to the HIDs. The OEM lights give off a yellowish light and those are the only ones that I replaced with LEDs with Putco Pure Plasma LEDs which are available in 6500k.