The only and best solution.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:43 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
This is a cop out IMHO. It's like saying:

"If you didn't want a car with picky HID ballasts, you picked the wrong car"
"If you didn't want a car with that needs a transmission flash update, you picked the wrong car"
"If you didn't want a car with soft paint, you picked the wrong car"

It's not unreasonable to want things that aren't included by the manufacturer. This is why many of us modify our cars. The OP is looking to modify his car to have better cup holders.

I'll say this in defense of Infiniti. This car was basically designed in 2006-2007-ish, and hasn't received an overhaul since then. Back in 2007, fast food hadn't yet redefined their drink sizes. Small, Medium, and Large back then were smaller than they are today.

My 2012 Maxima was designed in 2008-2009, and it's weird to see how many other things they incorporated in those 2 years of development. The Maxima has the following features missing on my G37:

Tire Pressure readings for each tire
Heated steering wheel
Dimming driver's side mirror
Side mirrors that tilt downward when in reverse
It also had 1 large drink holder and 1 normal sized drink holder

One may think that these features would trickle upwards to the G37, but I don't think that's how it works. The wiring harness and basic layout of the electronics would need updating, and that's just too much work I guess for incremental changes to the car.
I would have to disagree with you on my statement being a "cop out". Yes, we are all on this forum to modify our cars to some extent and make them more appealing and functional, but there are limits to what is reasonable. I dont see anyone paying the money to have the center console recontructed in a seamless and professional manner, to suit holding larger drinks. This only leaves the option of putting some cheap attachment on an otherwise classy looking interior.

All that aside, some of your other examples are much better suited for my statement of "You picked the wrong car." than your statement of we can fix or "modify" it. A perfect example being the paint. It is entirely unreasonable to assume that a person is going to have their car repainted or "modified" with a higher quality paint to compensate for what Nissan put on the car. In this case, it would be much more financially responsible and realistic to purchase a car with more durable paint, if that is a primary consideration. And putting a clear bra on the whole car is an unreasonable option as well. It's cost prohibitive and will look terrible over time, only protecting the paint for the next owner who would immediately tear it off.

The headlight ballast comment doesn't make sense to me, OEM ballasts are picky about putting cheap bulbs in them. I have done several retrofits with OEM ballasts (Matsu****a, Denso, etc.) and they always fire up Phillips bulbs or comparable, but there are no guarauntees with cheap (less than about $100 a pair) non OEM bulbs.

The transmission comment also isn't similar to this at all. That's a manufacturing issue that Nissan has addressed through an update. That is miles different than this cupholder scenario.

Your statement about fast food not defining their sizes and things were smaller ten years ago doesn't follow actual facts. In 1999 McDonalds introduced the "Supersize" drink weighing in at 42 ounces. In 2001 Burger King followed suit with a 42 ounce "King" size. In 2006 Wendys introduced a 42 ounce drink as their new large size. One could say that the time Infiniti was desingning this car, no stranger to the US Market, we were at a peak of drink sizes.

The best options for the OP are to order smaller drinks, buy a mug or drink container that fits nicely in the cupholder, spend a significant sum of money to have the center console reconfigured to suit larger drinks, or put some sort of cupholder rig in the car that will seriously detract from the overall look of the interior.

Last edited by Ryne; 02-06-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:53 AM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
If you Google Infiniti G37 mug, you will find many options designed to maximize the space, many from Infiniti!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:56 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
If cupholder room was a primary consideration, I'd say you picked the wrong car
Where actually did you get the notion that cupholder size was a PRIMARY consideration? I never got that impression from the OP. I'd say performance and style are usually the primary considerations for most G37 owners...couple with value.

Also, why are you dismissing cupholder modification as a modification? It's a bonafide mod. OEM lacks something, and the owner modifies it to meet his needs.

As for the other stuff you wrote above...you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think the drink sizes were scaled up based on your timeline. Offering a larger drink on a particular date isn't the same thing as redefining your medium cup as small, and going up from there. I don't think that happened prior to the interior design that Infinit did for the G37. As stated, my 2012 Maxima which was designed later, has 2 drink holders which weren't side-by-side (staggered) and one was a bit larger than the other.

Was our G37 designed differently than the Skyline to accommodate the US fast food craze?
Old 02-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
Where actually did you get the notion that cupholder size was a PRIMARY consideration? I never got that impression from the OP. I'd say performance and style are usually the primary considerations for most G37 owners...couple with value.

Also, why are you dismissing cupholder modification as a modification? It's a bonafide mod. OEM lacks something, and the owner modifies it to meet his needs.

As for the other stuff you wrote above...you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think the drink sizes were scaled up based on your timeline. Offering a larger drink on a particular date isn't the same thing as redefining your medium cup as small, and going up from there. I don't think that happened prior to the interior design that Infinit did for the G37. As stated, my 2012 Maxima which was designed later, has 2 drink holders which weren't side-by-side (staggered) and one was a bit larger than the other.

Was our G37 designed differently than the Skyline to accommodate the US fast food craze?
I put a fancy word in the sentence, "if". I never said that OP made cupholders a primary cosideration, I said "if". You are quoting me out of context.

I don't see where I said modifying a cupholder was not a mod. I purely said it was cost prohibitive for negligible benefit.

I don't see how a FACTUAL timeline of events is an opinion. I also don't see how comparing a Maxima to a G37 is applicable at all. They are cars for different target audiences, just because they are both made by Nissan doesn't make it appropriate to compare them directly.

You are really just bolstering my FACTS with your opinions and your ketchup vs catsup argument.

Example:

You say a large is now a medium and a medium is a small. I say the new large size is 42oz. We are saying the same thing, drinks got larger. I have only added FACTUAL dates to the statement to show that this is not a modern occurrence, it's something that happened well over a decade ago.

My favorite part of your argument is the contradictory ending where you make it sound crazy to make a Japanese car's cupholders larger for American eating habits when you have previously said that the G37 is so old the cupholders havent caught up to modern drink sizes. Pick a side and stick to it, Geez.

Im done with this circular debate, I have nothing left to say about this.

Last edited by Ryne; 02-06-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:11 PM
G37Xtreme

Im done with this circular debate, I have nothing left to say about this.
I'm glad to see that you're done. Which means I get the last word.

Your statement about cupholders was a cop out. Plain and simple.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:08 PM
needfd
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Ryne,

I didn't mean for you guys to start some debate and side track from the original question but my cup holders were not my primary consideration in buying a car.

The fact that you even mentioned that to get that feature you'd have go elsewhere is not something that solves my problem. It's neither constructive nor helpful.

When people high jack the thread, or add in comments like that, the thread only becomes more confusing and hard to really focus on the topic/solution.

Nothing against you, but I am just looking for solutions and side-busting doesn't help me.

I'm glad that your guys's debate is over, now we can get back on topic

For Everyone else,

Thanks for the links and references to other sites that may have a solution for me, that is very much appreciated!
Old 02-06-2015, 03:06 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by needfd
Hey Ryne,

I didn't mean for you guys to start some debate and side track from the original question but my cup holders were not my primary consideration in buying a car.

The fact that you even mentioned that to get that feature you'd have go elsewhere is not something that solves my problem. It's neither constructive nor helpful.

When people high jack the thread, or add in comments like that, the thread only becomes more confusing and hard to really focus on the topic/solution.

Nothing against you, but I am just looking for solutions and side-busting doesn't help me.

I'm glad that your guys's debate is over, now we can get back on topic

For Everyone else,

Thanks for the links and references to other sites that may have a solution for me, that is very much appreciated!
I think you may have missed the part where I have answered your question, several times. This isn't rocket science, you have 4 viable options outside of living with it or changing vehicles:

1. Select your drinks and sizes carefully to ensure they will fit your cupholder satisfactorily.

2. Undertake a project to reconstruct the center console to accomodate larger sized, and larger quanities of drinks.

3. Purchase a secondary container that has been predetermined to fit satisfactorily and transfer all drinks into said container.

4. Purchase some sort of drink caddy to enhance your drink carrying capacity to a more satisfactory level.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ryne:
chilibowl (02-06-2015), Lego_Maniac (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 03:32 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
/End of thread.

None else needed my dears....Close 'er up! LOL
The following users liked this post:
Ryne (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 04:53 PM
G37Xtreme

3. Purchase a secondary container that has been predetermined to fit satisfactorily and transfer all drinks into said container.

4. Purchase some sort of drink caddy to enhance your drink carrying capacity to a more satisfactory level.
I think in the OP, these are the two avenues that the OP was leaning towards...primarily option 4.

A few suggestions have been given, but not sure if the OP likes any of them yet.

One thing I just thought of...what if you pulled out the drink "holder" hardware and door cover of the drink holder space? That would give you more space to work with, and perhaps a larger caddy would fit, or one with a shape that doesn't fit the current OEM space that's provided. I've never tried to take off the door, but I know the drink separator hinged contraption does come out.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:40 PM
presidentsdad
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey All,
Sorry to be reviving an old thread, but it doesn't really seem the original question got answered. I too am in a similar boat the the OP. I did a search that one member recommended about the C5 Corvette cup holders and it looks like this *may* fit the bill, but was unsure if the dimensions used to make the Corvette one would work in our cars. I recently purchased a 2011 G37S Sedan (6MT) and the cup holders are basically useless. Does anyone think that these might work for our cars? Thanks in advance.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-09-2018, 05:37 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
How does this attach to the car? Slide under the trim piece?
Old 01-09-2018, 05:44 PM
presidentsdad
Registered Member

Looks like it slides under the trim up top and uses gravity at the bottom.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:37 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
don't drink n drive, problem solved... ))))
Old 02-01-2018, 02:16 PM
presidentsdad
Registered Member

Originally Posted by GAWD
I've owned a few Mustangs with even less of cupholders, so can recommend a Plug-N-Chug solution. The 68-69 Mustang model looks like it might straddle the Infiniti console:

I was surprised to see a Nissan 350Z solution as well:

Try CupHoldersPlus:
Center Console, Floor Console, Bench Seat Console | CupHoldersPlus.com
Apparently, reading through the first time I completely missed this post. Has anyone tried the above? Does it work?

Quick Reply: Cup holder solutions?