Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Windshield Replacement Brand and Pictures (Particularly from Safelite)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014 | 11:03 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by Azngonkick
i got my replaced by safelite. They replaced it with pilkington
Thank You!!!

I was losing hope. People are losing sight on what I am asking and getting worked up on the insurance part of the equation. I have done my due diligence and know where I stand as far as insurance goes. I have no issue paying for the windshield, I just want to have an idea of what to expect, specifically related to the brand of the windshield and its similarity to OEM.
Old 12-19-2014 | 12:59 PM
GAWD

I'll just comment that I looked at a few different Infiniti parts websites and was surprised to see 4 completely different part numbers for a 2013 G37 coupe windshield. Almost makes you wonder if quality issues were observed and something changed. All have the same price.

72700-JL00E
G2700-JL00E
72700-JU50E
72700-JU50C

Example:
2013 G37 Coupe: OEM Body (Front, Roof, & Floor) (FRONT WINDSHIELD) Replacement Parts
Old 12-20-2014 | 06:09 AM
Track Bandit

Ryne,
There isn't anything really wrong with an OEM windshield being worse than any other manufacturer out there. The OEM glass does require a minimum standard for strength and optical clarity throughout the windshield. Remember that it also serves as a structural reinforcement to the cars roof and A-pillar as well. As far as it not holding up to a rock, part of that is all car manufacturers are reducing weight on the cars and they are making glass thinner and softer than in the past as part of this weight savings. That's one reason why they tend to crack or get spider cracks when hit by a rock. You should remember that a small rock hitting your windshield at 60-70 mph on a freeway is a hell of a lot of force for any windshield to have to hold up and not crack or get wiped out with large cracks. I know it's a pain but when I got my new 2012 G coupe, I had to replace two windshields within the first 3 months of ownership. Safelite replace both of them and the last one is just as good as the original with no leaks. That wasn't the cars fault but rather the area where I live has a ton of construction trucks using the freeways every day and they are always loosing gravel and such while doing so. In some areas it's just the new facts of life. Also if the windshield can last through the winter, then wait until the spring so you won't have any salt, or road debris damage from any foul weather. Just a thought. Good luck.

Al
Old 12-20-2014 | 07:44 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by Track Bandit
Ryne,
There isn't anything really wrong with an OEM windshield being worse than any other manufacturer out there. The OEM glass does require a minimum standard for strength and optical clarity throughout the windshield. Remember that it also serves as a structural reinforcement to the cars roof and A-pillar as well. As far as it not holding up to a rock, part of that is all car manufacturers are reducing weight on the cars and they are making glass thinner and softer than in the past as part of this weight savings. That's one reason why they tend to crack or get spider cracks when hit by a rock. You should remember that a small rock hitting your windshield at 60-70 mph on a freeway is a hell of a lot of force for any windshield to have to hold up and not crack or get wiped out with large cracks. I know it's a pain but when I got my new 2012 G coupe, I had to replace two windshields within the first 3 months of ownership. Safelite replace both of them and the last one is just as good as the original with no leaks. That wasn't the cars fault but rather the area where I live has a ton of construction trucks using the freeways every day and they are always loosing gravel and such while doing so. In some areas it's just the new facts of life. Also if the windshield can last through the winter, then wait until the spring so you won't have any salt, or road debris damage from any foul weather. Just a thought. Good luck.

Al
Right, I understand all of that. The purpose of this thread was to find out what brands of windshields Safelite uses. It seems as though you have had 2 from them, do you know what brands they were?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2014 | 05:03 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by Ryne
Not like this comment really added anything to my question anyways...

Sorry, I missed where it says this forum exists strictly to answer your questions...
Old 12-25-2014 | 01:53 AM
spinn
Registered Member

My preference is to always try and get the OEM mfg of your vehicle's windshield; PGW and Pilkington tends to cover a lot of vehicles, so it's usually OK to go with them. I have State Farm with a deductible for windshield replacement at $100. State Farm limits what they will reimburse for; it depends on the retail price of the replacement glass and whether that is more expensive or less than the OEM mfg. I had a Mercedes windshield replaced recently that turned out that the OEM mfg brand was cheaper than a regular replacement. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2017 | 05:38 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Originally Posted by inf4mOus
Does anyone know if your Insuracne Rate goes up if you if you pay the $100 deductible to get your windshield replaced thru the insurance? I have FARMERS full coverage
Your insurance company should be able to answer that question.