Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Project Complete: Custom Headlight Paint DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:08 PM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
If you ever have the front cover off again, I'd spray the top of the bumper bar with some flat black rattle can, make it disappear. Sharp car though, I like it.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 257 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by squarehead
yeah - the more i look at the red, the more 'tuner-y' it looks. kinda doesnt fit with the rest of the clean/black look i've got (dark tint, gt-r tails, dipped rear emblems). i'm gonna let it ride for a while and see how i feel when the dust settles.

tough to get the headlights in the same shot as the brakes but here goes:

is my emblem abnormally small? story of my life...
Dude your calipers and your headlights accent each other perfectly. I like it. Give it some time I believe you'll come around. If not you could always crack EM back open in 6 months and paint the shroud black or silver and then paint he little accent pieces around the shrous the same color as your calipers. But me personally I think it's cool.

Yes your infiniti symbol is a bit small looking. Pick one up on the classifieds and while your at it take the above mentioned advice and paint that bumper bar black so you can rock that mesh grill without it being seen. Your ride is way too clean with too much attention to detail for that bar to show. I Know I'm making a lot of pic requests, but can we see your GTR tails?
Old 10-01-2014, 03:29 PM
squarehead

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Redfire32
Dude your calipers and your headlights accent each other perfectly. I like it. Give it some time I believe you'll come around. If not you could always crack EM back open in 6 months and paint the shroud black or silver and then paint he little accent pieces around the shrous the same color as your calipers. But me personally I think it's cool.

Yes your infiniti symbol is a bit small looking. Pick one up on the classifieds and while your at it take the above mentioned advice and paint that bumper bar black so you can rock that mesh grill without it being seen. Your ride is way too clean with too much attention to detail for that bar to show. I Know I'm making a lot of pic requests, but can we see your GTR tails?
wow thx a lot redfire, appreciate it.

RE: emblem - YEAH! never noticed til this thread (car came with both this grill and the OE one) but now i cant stop focusing on it lol. definitely gonna hit the bumper bar per suggestions next time the bumper is off.

re: gt-r tail overlay pics request - see below. debadged rear yesterday except fuji (still dipped).

Old 10-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Man I want my headlights accented with a little moonlight white and some annodized red small accents (to match my calipers) and GTR tails sooo bad. It's one of those things that really brings the car together for such an aggressive yet clean look...along with a little debages lol
Old 10-01-2014, 05:44 PM
squarehead

haha. i see your posts lookin for a vendor to paint your headlights!

its really not a terrible DIY!! give it a shot, worst case if you mess up, you just spend what you were gonna pay the vendor to get some new OE's!
Old 10-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

its really not a terrible DIY!! give it a shot, worst case if you mess up, you just spend what you were gonna pay the vendor to get some new OE's!
Actually that's a great point! I started off scared of the paint your calipers DIY....and those are turning out GREAT. I think I'll take your advice n give it a shot
Old 10-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Oh **** you caught me lol. Actually I never thought about it like that, it's fauely expensive to send the lights off to have done by the pros. Everything we do ourselves has so much more value too.

For the record I was just putting a feeler our there to see if a good paint guy was nearby so I could compare pricing
Old 12-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Hey man would you mind pm me with the list of electrical components that I'd need to buy to do the angel eyes n stuff like u
Old 01-14-2015, 01:23 PM
jomak123

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
What paint did you use?
Did you sand and prime?
Old 01-15-2015, 05:14 PM
epenbecks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice man. i wanna do that too, but with yellow instead of red. bcause i have yellow caliper. i need to find how to open the headlight.

Name:  c7d14579-0743-4131-8c38-b1d9f02a4458_zpsaeba0b39.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  166.8 KB
Old 01-16-2015, 11:00 AM
squarehead

holy thread revival lol.

redfire - i didnt add any additional components, i just painted some of the OE internals. kinda wish I woulda skipped the red and gone with some LEDs / iron man but i didnt have the confidence. probably better that i played it safe.

jomak123 - I used Rust-o-leum Automotive High Gloss. no priming or sanding, i just wiped everything down with rubbing alcohol to make sure no grease from my fingers stayed on by handling them. 3 months later, still looks good.

epenbecks - i just followed a bumper removal / headlight removal DIY from on here.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:47 PM
squarehead

Got rid of the red the other weekend during my takeda intake install. all the paint has held up extremely well. turns out, i used red plastidip (not paint) on the chrome shroud, which made for quick and easy removal (imagine my surprise when i started sanding) lol.

also painted that bumper bar. some pics (sorry for mobile quality) - if anyone wants anything better i can dig out the ol' nikon:

much better IMO. looks like less of a "toy" and more aggressive (esp with the takeda chrome showing)