Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Plastidip paint job

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Used2BaHEMI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vance67
What do you do at fort hood? When I was there I had soldiers giving me a bunch of badges (some from closed down bases across the globe), deployment pins & even coins, other pins in general. We had a contest on who could get the most..I won
LOL!! I'm a soldier here, and that's pretty cool you have that many coins. I've been in for almost 7 years and only have a hand full of coins but the coolest one I have was from the Secretary of the Army.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:50 PM
jscoggan

Originally Posted by Used2BaHEMI
LOL!! I'm a soldier here, and that's pretty cool you have that many coins. I've been in for almost 7 years and only have a hand full of coins but the coolest one I have was from the Secretary of the Army.
Thanks for your service, I just got out in October after 5 years, I think your Sec. of the ARMY, would trump my Secretary of VA (although GEN Shinseki was the former chief of staff, but looses a little bit of credit for making us non special forces/rangers wear the beret). Either way, your car looks badass in blue, especially with the black lights, I have wanted to do this to my car and I think after seeing yours I am going to go for it!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:01 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Looks like a good job, along w/ your black trim accents and lights it goes together well. The one worry about p-dip is it's so easy to peel back, just a fingernail can really tear into it. Infiniti paint is really soft and fragile IMO so I'm thinking about going w/ a vinyl wrap down the road. I'm interested in your updates as this is an option for those that want to change the look w/out a heavy investment. If you can DIY a vinyl wrap the cost seems to be similar as the vinyl & supplies for a whole wrap are in the $500-600 range and the durability and color choices are very good. The time and effort involved in a wrap are quite a bit more however.
Thanks for the pics and hope updates will continue
Old 04-02-2014, 12:02 AM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Ya, thank you for your service!!

I only have 4 coins, but I have more patches & pins then I know what to do with. I thought it was crazy that the strangers were giving me patches from closed down bases, a part of their history/life & they just gave them to me. Same with the coins & deployment pins. It sounds cheesy, but I felt honored that they would give them to me. I remember, 3 ppl in particular. One guy I talked for a few days, he worked at the gas stations as security that week & he gave me patches from closed down bases he was stationed at in Germany & Korea & explained all about them...I forgot now. The other guy, had this patch of a bomb falling with lines next to it to signify that it was being dropped, he didn't want to give it to me but at the last second he goes "it's just a patch" rips it off his arm & gives it to me. It was the only one I saw like that the whole 2 weeks I was there. & the last guy, when I asked him he said "boy did you ask the right guy!" Apparently he was the person that handed them out for his...battalion? He gave me one of the current coins & one of the new coins that replaced the old ones. At the time he said that not even a soldier had been given the new coins.

It was awesome out there. I love TX, I'm from MA & being able to watch the apaches & other helicopter take off from the gas station on warrior way I think was awesome. It was so cool & driving in they say "welcome to fort good. The best place on earth!" I think, right? It's crazy, like a small city. A bunch of nice cars. Oh & don't use the wax on the plastidip, but those chip guys are good. I used to love those instant milkshakes or ice cream things they had at the gas stations...what are those gas stations called again...am/pm or something?
Old 04-02-2014, 04:28 PM
2fly4em

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks great man! I'm doing the same project next but matte white to keep it simple, since my kit is gonna look aggressive enough!!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:26 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
I think it looks good. great color choice too
The following users liked this post:
Used2BaHEMI (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Used2BaHEMI

Vance67, they're called PX's. Sounds like you had a good time and I glad you got to have that experience! Jscoggan, go for it man and post up!! Blnewt, I thought vinyl but I've heard some horror stories about what the paint looked like after it was removed, however let us know how difficult the process is and how well it turns out. I'd like to see for possible future use myself.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Vance67, they're called PX's. Sounds like you had a good time and I glad you got to have that experience! Jscoggan, go for it man and post up!! Blnewt, I thought vinyl but I've heard some horror stories about what the paint looked like after it was removed, however let us know how difficult the process is and how well it turns out. I'd like to see for possible future use myself.
Yup, that's what it was
Old 04-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Gundam00

that's a nice job but I'm not digging the colour tho....too tacky imo
Old 04-02-2014, 11:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I'd imagine if the car was outdoors much of the time (like sitting in a parking lot everyday during the work week) the vinyl would get brittle and hard to remove cleanly. Mine is in a garage most of the time and rarely just sits in the sun so hopefully that won't be an issue. Hope you can relay some feedback every couple months about how it holds up and if you plan any different colors down the road.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:26 AM
Scotty_R8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like it but i'm also a fan of plasti dip. i got so much hate on the corvette forums when i had dipped my stock z06 wheels black. yes, i had thought about painting/powdercoating them but that woulud be permanent. when i got rid of the car i was offered less b/c they weren't in original condition and then i just peeled it off and they couldn't do anything about it.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:22 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
I was thinking about vinyl wrapping the roof in a gloss black. Never pulled the trigger on it, but it still crosses my mind when I see a thread like this.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:35 AM
nogoer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
How are you going to wash that?? All its going to take is some dip**** in a parking lot rubbing against it too hard and its going to start to peel up. Once that happens you better park it cause theres not going to be a person on this planet who doesn't think its trash. You'll be doing weekly touch ups from chips and scratches but if it isnt clean all you're going to be doing is sealing in the dirt.

Im not against plasti-dip by any means but a whole car job is just insane. There's a reason why the norm is paint and clear coats. Man i can just see the dirt collecting in the nooks and crannies and before too long its going to look so horrible. Ive done wheels before and it was a pain enough to keep black plastidip looking clean.

To each his own i guess
Old 04-03-2014, 12:29 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
^^^^+1^^^^ kinda my sentiments as well. Plastidip looks great for blacking out letters or badges.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:18 PM
newusernamerequired

It looks nice man, it's hard to do a good job like that. Just enjoy it lol. I'm thinking about plasti-dipping as well, but not sure what color. But again 2 thumbs up!

Quick Reply: Plastidip paint job