Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Need Headlight/Fog HID Kit help..today!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need Headlight/Fog HID Kit help..today!

Modding a car ain’t easy!

Need to buy new blubs/kit today so I can have it shipped for Monday delivery.

Act 1: Bought some cheap 6K bulbs from amazon.com. Mistake number one. They worked for a day. Then sometimes one wouldn’t come on, but if I turned them off and on they would. Ok Garbage. Should have known better.

Act 2: I bought Phillips Ultinon 6K from ebay. More appropriately priced, maybe $75-$100 (I can’t remember). Have them installed with HID Fogs (more on that below). They look great, but as I’m driving home I realize that the passenger side bulb is going pink. Then in clears up….then it goes pink again. After a few days its solid pink. Bad blub! SO I get the seller to send me another one. He does, I try to replace it as per the advice here. Ended up dropping it somewhere in the headlight housing? Or in the bumper? I was doing the jack up the car and reach your hand in the wheel well liner. GHETTO. End result (so long of a story) but I have a stock bulb in the driver side and one 6K in the passenger side…which is a bit pink ish but I don’t think broken? Its been so long now that I don’t even remember if the 6K phillps bulb is the bad one or if I was just disappointed in the 6K color produced by Phillips.
Question 1: Shouldn’t a 6K bulk produce an icy blue color….or atleast be on its way there? I hesitant to put 8K in there because I don’t want it to be BLUE = Silly. Any recommendations for an ICE blue color in D2S? Diode Dynamics sells CN Light (Chinese company).

Act 3: I had an HID Fog kit installed by my dealer at the same time as Act 2. 3K color temp, upgraded ballasts, but no relay to the battery. Regret decision? If I need it, why isn’t it mandatory? At any rate, it worked fine initially, like every, crumbled fast. I started noticing sometimes the driver side didn’t turn on. If I turned the fogs off and on again it would turn on. This bulb also seemed to be too green when warmed up. That’s a problem with 3K fogs in the first place. They don’t look like Lexus IS300 yellow or Infiniti QX4 yellow…they start GREEN…then warm up (slowly) to a pretty yellow color, but still hints of green. I digress. Diode dynamics sent me another bulb. Before I got a chance to put it in, the passenger side sometimes doesn’t turn on. Same issue, turn it off then on…it works. NOW, neither go on but the light in my guage cluster works. I doubt it’s the fuse. Could both bulbs have blown? Sucks.

Question 2: I’ll order a new fog kit, with maybe 4300K bulbs. I kind of like the look that stock has where the fogs and HID headlights don’t match. Maybe I’m crazing for doing this in the first place.
Maybe 6-8K headlights D2S and 4300K fogs? Any advice? Pics?
Thanks for sticking with this.
Mike S.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
One answer! The Retrofit Source Inc !

also I wouldn't do 6000-8000k... You lose a lot of light output (lumens) I personally as well as many other people would go for 5000k Osram CBIs that have more lumens than the OEM 4300k bulbs ( and OEM bulbs usually have the most lumens ) and then if you would want even more light output I would recommend getting the fresnel lenses swapped out for clear lenses (TSX-R for the Coupe and STI-R for Sedan) this way your light output would be even better ! and get matching 5000k , it looks so nice and clean and the light output is amazing just simply PURE WHITE no tinge of blue !

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 01-17-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I researched Retrofit as I sent that massive post. I think I'll get the 5000K for sure. A bit whiter and MORE light. Seems like a no brainer. Hopefully they don't blow out or fail!

I might go for the 4300 H11 HID Fogs since I want more output and I won't mind if they area a little more yellow. Sometimes I don't like them to match..dunno if that sounds weird. Guess I'm used to HID Headlights and Halogen fogs.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike S.
but no relay to the battery. Regret decision? If I need it, why isn’t it mandatory?
You're experiencing issues with ignition because you are not using a relay. On our website, the relay option says "strongly recommend" in all capital letters.

We used to include a relay harness with every kit, but we had many customers who already have relays from an old kit, or know that their vehicle does not require it, and too many people called in and asked to remove it from the kit before their order shipped. We thought that was the best thing to do, but unfortunately, some customers still choose not to get the relay, and then when it doesn't work properly, it's our fault. Point taken, you're right. Even though a relay's only required for operation about 5% of the time, in March, we're just going to build the price of the relay in with the kit at $150.

This new HID kit will exceed the quality of anything else on the market, including TRS, and will be launched in March.

OP, just shoot us a PM with your info and we can send you a relay free of charge. That will solve the problem for you.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 01-17-2014, 12:35 PM
malady

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
hes' right you need a relay harness

you can get them on ebay for like $10-20

I never use a hid kit without one I had 2 on my last car but it also was a 11 year old car.

running 35 w through your wires is fine but the start up of the ballasts consumes more power so a relay is smart since it puts a fuse between the ballast and the oem wires as well as provide constant power from your battery.
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike S.
I researched Retrofit as I sent that massive post. I think I'll get the 5000K for sure. A bit whiter and MORE light. Seems like a no brainer. Hopefully they don't blow out or fail!

I might go for the 4300 H11 HID Fogs since I want more output and I won't mind if they area a little more yellow. Sometimes I don't like them to match..dunno if that sounds weird. Guess I'm used to HID Headlights and Halogen fogs.
I see well I got my fogs at 5000k and never anything else and then eventually I'm planning on swapping out my fresnel lenses to clear STi-R lenses and getting Osram CBIs 5000k too !