Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Beginning Custom Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 11:50 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
Lol, wondering who told you that just kidding Connor.

Here's a picture of what he's talking about so it's clear and obvious which part he's talking about. [/url]
I actually heard this first from Chris (RexHavoc) as I didn't know about it before that. Individuals like you and the folks at my dealership just confirmed that.

I've avoided the issue by using a special powdercoat blend for plastic that can withstand the high heat, especially that from the projector lens reflecting sunlight.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:08 AM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr

I actually heard this first from Chris (RexHavoc) as I didn't know about it before that. Individuals like you and the folks at my dealership just confirmed that.

I've avoided the issue by using a special powdercoat blend for plastic that can withstand the high heat, especially that from the projector lens reflecting sunlight.
Yeah Chris and I talked about it several times. It's all good.

Hmm interesting concept, did you use that special blend on the entire housing or what? Now you got me wondering why doesn't ONEighty or other automotive lighting shops use that stuff then? Perhaps it doesn't really prevent bubbling completely or I they just don't know about it?
Old 12-10-2014, 07:53 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

The process involves taking normal powder, and mixing a special solution and spraying it on wet to plastic. You allow it to surface dry then place whatever you're coating back in the oven to bake.

I'm sure most shops don't know you can powders plastics - it's a newer process. I'm hoping the properties of the powder will hold up to the high temps within the housing.

Last order of business is to determine what size halos to use around the turn signal / parking light.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:37 AM
DNE

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I will be doing this project very soon
Old 12-14-2014, 03:01 AM
tai01

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The process involves taking normal powder, and mixing a special solution and spraying it on wet to plastic. You allow it to surface dry then place whatever you're coating back in the oven to bake.

I'm sure most shops don't know you can powders plastics - it's a newer process. I'm hoping the properties of the powder will hold up to the high temps within the housing.

Last order of business is to determine what size halos to use around the turn signal / parking light.
I asked Umnitza, they supply BMW angel eyes for the G37 sedan, about the size halos around the turn signal/parking light. They told me that the projector uses 8x, and the inner ring uses 6x.

Since the projector shroud normally uses 80mm, maybe the inner ring uses 60mm? Maybe that will help me in my decision about adding halos in the housing. I do like the color you used for your housing! Are you leaving the housing as is?

Last edited by tai01; 12-14-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:55 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

I figured as such. I just purchased 60mm through 90mm rings from TRS with the intention of returning two. I want to ensure I have EVERYTHING I need before starting the process of redoing my lights.

I have a set of extra projector shrouds that I will use to test mount the halo rings. And I will also use those to test out the powdercoat color I plan to use to recover my current housings. I'm toying with the idea of powdercoating my projector shrouds the same color (candy burnt copper) as my Akebono calipers.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:46 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I'm toying with the idea of powdercoating my projector shrouds the same color (candy burnt copper) as my Akebono calipers.
That sounds like a nice plan, would be a nice contrast to the housing and have some continuity w/ the calipers tying it all together.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:38 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Agreed! Matching the colors would be nice however my initial and only concern is that if I were to ever sell the car down the road, having the orange in the headlights will be tough to get rid of.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:45 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Agreed! Matching the colors would be nice however my initial and only concern is that if I were to ever sell the car down the road, having the orange in the headlights will be tough to get rid of.
Simple solution...just paint your calipers orange
Old 12-15-2014, 03:34 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
Simple solution...just paint your calipers orange
Yes... That's why I would be painting the projector shrouds - to match the calipers that are already orange. However, I'm not going to want to open the lights again and return to stock color if I ever sell the car, or sell to someone who doesn't like the orange.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:20 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Yes... That's why I would be painting the projector shrouds - to match the calipers that are already orange. However, I'm not going to want to open the lights again and return to stock color if I ever sell the car, or sell to someone who doesn't like the orange.
If you've got orange calipers and orange shrouds, you'll probably find someone who wants that and likes your car more because of it.

EDIT:

Though I realize appealing to the lowest common denominator will sell it faster.

Last edited by G37Xtreme; 12-15-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:28 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
You could always post a want to trade in the classifieds, I doubt you'd have any trouble swapping them (plus some cash to you as well)
Old 12-15-2014, 06:45 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Both are very valid points. UGH!!! I'm not one to make decisions like this, haha. I'll be starting this process on Sunday. I received my XC LEDs from TRS and boy are those things cool. A ton of color options including white which will be nice, all controlled from a remove control within the vehicle.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:56 PM
tai01

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Both are very valid points. UGH!!! I'm not one to make decisions like this, haha. I'll be starting this process on Sunday. I received my XC LEDs from TRS and boy are those things cool. A ton of color options including white which will be nice, all controlled from a remove control within the vehicle.
I can't wait to see what size those inner rings are!
Old 12-21-2014, 01:49 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

I purchased 99mm for the projector shroud and 60mm for the turn signal. I purchased spare shrouds for the G37 sedan before my first headlight modification so I have been able to test fit the rings.

There's no way 70mm would work for the turn signal as I based that off of the projector shrouds. 80mm works ok for the shroud and 70mm is just too small. You can clearly identify that the 60mm works for the turn signal.

All measurements were recorded with a digital caliper. Definitely a great tool to have around for many many projects

Quick Reply: Beginning Custom Headlights